LegacyGT.com

Anyone with a H/K Blown Sub Post here!

Murphdaddy

I have had a 09 with the Harmon Kardon sound system now for just under a year and have about 28k miles on it. In that time I have had the factory sub-woofer replaced twice under warranty. My sub is now blown again. This weekend I was at a local drive event and I was casually mentioning this fact to a few other participants. One of them asked if it was a h/k system and I said yes it was. They then told me they worked for Harmon Kardon and they would like to bring my car in and take a look at it.

Well I brought my car in today and they gave it a quick listen and asked me bring it back next week so they can tear it down and do a full diagonosis. While I was there I mentioned that I had posted about this problem before on this board. They were interested if anyone else was having problems with their factory sound systems.

So please if you have had issues with your factory systems in '09+ models post it here! Engineers from Harmon Kardon will definitely be seeing this thread and any info you give will help.

If the HK engineers are very serious about this, and would "fix" any problems that they did find... I'd have to give them some big Kudos... Sounds like they stand behind their product.

I've got a theory to toy around with, might be wrong, might be something to explore:

Sub's are not just more effective in enclosures, but the enclosure also helps to ensure they dont over drive their excursion limits. (Sealed boxes moreso than ported, but even then, it still limits the airspace) It might be a limitation due to the lack of an enclosure rather than a design flaw... But that's just a theory, and something I've compiled from the many threads I've read about speakers.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

I'm at 18k in my 09 Outback XT, and everything seems.

I keep all settings at "0" across the board, if that matters.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Well there's your problem...

I keep everything at 0, and keep the volume between 10 and 25 depending on the station.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I guess that must be the problem, using the EQ. Using the EQ shouldn't cause problems though. Why make it possible for a user to set the bass to a point that it causes the sub to blow? My first sub went less than a month after driving it off the dealer lot.

Because if they limited you, then you would complain about that. All systems are capable of hurting themselves. The user is supposed to listen and make adjustments when distortion is evident, lol.

Pretty sure "bumping" is what killed the local members sub too. These are cheapo OEM stereos (I dont care what name brand they are). They are not meant to rival hi power aftermarket equipment.

Archived