LegacyGT.com

Tuning options?

mr2qik

recently bought a 06 lgt wagon with a number of upgrades; FMIC, upgraded turbo, intake, gauges etc (basicly a stage 3 car). The previous owner had way too much money and took excellent care of the vehicle. However I recently took it in for work and the vehicle came back on a stock tune. So now I have a modified car with all the goodies on a stock tune. So im currently in the process of educating myself on my options i have. So far this is what ive found

Cobb accessport -- seems too expensive and wouldnt deliver desired results

Take to tuning shop -- extremly expensive

Open source tuning w/tactrix cable --- looks like it does everything I want and is cost effective.

I just want to make sure im on the right track before I invest many hours/money. Any ideas thoughts? things I didnt think of? suggestions.

im not looking to make rediculous hp or speed. Im simply trying to get reliable hp/and speed out of this car for fun daily driving. Not looking push the bariers or anything.

Thanks guys!

Welcome.

WTF?!! They gave it back with a stock tune? Does the car even run? An AP would still require a custom tune. Get a VAG-COM cable off ebay and shoot Infamous1 a PM or email him at infamoustuning@yahoo.com. He is a highly respected tuner here on the forum that performs remote e-tunes and road tunes (in So Cal). He will get you straightened out for way less than the cost of the AP. Your tune is probably about $200. But you might need a wideband O2 sensor for tuning.

Can you ask the previous owner if he still has a copy of the tune? If so, you can probably find someone local to put it back on the car.

I'd also stop going to that shop. They clearly have no clue how about working on modified cars. If they screw anything up, they'll probably blame the modifications rather than taking responsibility for it.

Can you ask the previous owner if he still has a copy of the tune? If so, you can probably find someone local to put it back on the car.

I'd also stop going to that shop. They clearly have no clue how about working on modified cars. If they screw anything up, they'll probably blame the modifications rather than taking responsibility for it.

^^this.

And sometimes you have to pay to play. You bought a modified car that you yourself said "the previous owner had way too much money and took excellent care of..." Don't(for lack of a better word) bastardize it. Do it once, do it right. It will avoid all problems with reliability if you don't cheap out the first time.

Now, the Accessport will require a protune. Why wouldn't you get a real tune with an upgraded turbo? The accessport is great but there is no reason unless you are changing maps often. Opensource is nice and "cheap". I would try to find a local tuner that is able to do opensource tuning. Infamous is a great option if you don't have a local tuner but IMO, there is no reason to E-Tuning if you live close to a tuner.

Archived