LegacyGT.com

Gasoline smell

Upon starting the car this morning and again on the return trip home (8 miles total) I could smell gasoline twice. :eek: What the hell !!! It is a new car...What could be going on ? Traditionally I smelled gasoline whenever my fuel filter burst (clogged up). This smell came from the engine bay though...

So...do you think I burst a hose (hmmm do they still use rubber hoses for gasoline lines :rolleyes: ) or a fuel filter (which apparently is in with the tank ?) or is it my EGR valve or that gas canister that collects gasoline vapors whenever you shut off the engine ? Would it be the Lambda (Oxygen) sensor for which apparently we have a recall ? that gave a bad A/F mixture ?

Thanks.

f1

There are rubber fuel hoses. If you had a leak you would know because either the car wouldn't run or it would be on fire :)

The fuel filter is in the tank inside of a sealed container which includes the fuel pump and if it was leaking (which is almost impossible given its design) you wouldn't smell it and you wouldn't k now except that he car might not run or hesitate a lot. The EGR valve is not related to the evaporitive emissions system, but the evaporitive emissions system is the most likely culprit wlthough a fault there would throw a code. A defective OS sensor will also throw a code. The car will run rich when you first start it up and you may get a wiff, but if it is a persistena smell then get it to someone who can diagnose the problem.

• 2 weeks later...
There are rubber fuel hoses. If you had a leak you would know because either the car wouldn't run or it would be on fire :)

The fuel filter is in the tank inside of a sealed container which includes the fuel pump and if it was leaking (which is almost impossible given its design) you wouldn't smell it and you wouldn't k now except that he car might not run or hesitate a lot. The EGR valve is not related to the evaporitive emissions system, but the evaporitive emissions system is the most likely culprit wlthough a fault there would throw a code. A defective OS sensor will also throw a code. The car will run rich when you first start it up and you may get a wiff, but if it is a persistena smell then get it to someone who can diagnose the problem.

I had an issue in my WRX with a fuel line leak at a junction between the rubber and metal portions of the line. Was leaking onto the block, aboud 3 inches away from the turbo. Dealer said this was induced by extreme cold (it was -4 that night) and replaced the entire line (13 hours) under warranty.

Just throwing this out there, hopefully this issue didn't make it to the Legacy.

• 3 months later...

I also have a similar smell.. The smell only occurs when the gas tank is more than 50% full and after it has been parked in the sun for a while with the windows up. If the tank is 100% full, the smell in unbearable.

I took it into the dealer once, and they couldn't smell it (it only have 30% full tank, and they parked it with the windows open), and blamed it on cheap gas. They also said the computer wasn't throwing any codes, I accepted that and have been putting only Shell or Chevron in it now, but the smell is getting worse. I will be dropping it off on a nice hot sunny day with a full tank and see what happens.

Archived