LegacyGT.com

Replacing Rotors - Broke off a bolt head to the caliper....

Canon20D

So I tried to replace the rotors on my fronts, and when i tried to remove the bolts that hold the calipers in, I wasnt able to budge them. So I tried harder, and proceeded to break off the bolt head. Now, from what I can gather, even if I can get the other one out, the part of the bolt thats stuck in, will prevent me from removing the caliper to get at it to fix it, without destroying the caliper in the process.

Is that correct? Or am I not thinking about it correctly?

• 2 years later...
So I tried to replace the rotors on my fronts, and when i tried to remove the bolts that hold the calipers in, I wasnt able to budge them. So I tried harder, and proceeded to break off the bolt head. Now, from what I can gather, even if I can get the other one out, the part of the bolt thats stuck in, will prevent me from removing the caliper to get at it to fix it, without destroying the caliper in the process.

Is that correct? Or am I not thinking about it correctly?

What did you ever do for this? I just had this happen to me... I was trying to take the caliper bracket off so i could have the rotor's turned and the bolt on the bottom wouldn't budge. I busted out the breaker bar... and it broke the bolt right off... I'm kinda wondering what are the next steps for this... Can something like this be drilled out or would you need to get a whole new bracket and spindle or whatever that's called....

Mine broke as well. These subaru bolts are crap. Luckily I was replacing the calipers anyway. I replaced my bolts with bolts for a 2005 tacoma wheel bearing that I had lying around at work.

so what did you do? I'm assuming you had to take the whole spindle out and drill and retap it?

so what did you do? I'm assuming you had to take the whole spindle out and drill and retap it?

Actually, I brought it to the dealer and let them f with it Cost like $250 by its worth it

i had the same problem where i was taking the caliper bracket off and th ebolt broke as well. I was able to get the bracket off and there was still a half inch of bolt sticking out. Got out the vice grips and the torch and heated it up and was able to get the remaining bolt out. Then went to Levine Auto and they got me a bolt i could use till i ordered the bolts from Subaru

If u don't have the tools just get a whole new loaded caliper assembly. It's cheaper than 200 labor if u know how to change brake stuff

Yeah, I think thats what I'm going to do. I will just get the left and right and redo both...

Anyone happen to know the part number for these? And is there any aftermarket items? Maybe something thats powder coated?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

This has happened to me on several vehicles. Don't replace the caliper, it would be a waste.

Take the caliper to a welder. Look them up in the phone book. Bring the caliper, a nut, and a really big breaker bar. Have the nut welded to the broken bolt. While the metal is still cherry red hot use the breaker bar and a socket to remove the bolt. Works every time. If you can't get a nut on there try an allen wrench and a piece of electrical conduit for leverage. If you know a welder or if you have a cheap pocket-mig from Sears (Like me) you can do this pretty easy. A welder might charge anywhere up to $50.

I hope you guy's are spraying the bolts with PB Blaster before you try and remove them and install all nut's and bolts with anti-seize compound.

I even use anti-seize when I thread the 8mm bolts into the center of the rotor to back it off the hub.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I hope you guy's are spraying the bolts with PB Blaster before you try and remove them and install all nut's and bolts with anti-seize compound.

I even use anti-seize when I thread the 8mm bolts into the center of the rotor to back it off the hub.

I anti-seize everything when I put all my parts back on my car. Everything from the brake line bolts to the suspension bits. My friends looked at me weird but I know I'll have a less of a hard time taking my stuff back off then they will. Now if I had only done that to my coils when I first got them lol

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

Is all the hardware the same '05 - '09 ?

My '08 will need brakes soon and wondering now much fun this will be

to break bolts off. I already figured I will need to Aerokroil the night before,

but now wonder if I should have a welder on call in case all goes wrong.

This happened on my car when I changed the first pads/rotors for the first time.

I broke the bolt that holds the caliper bracket (big o-shaped bracket that goes around the caliper and holds the pads) to the spindle, not the bolt that holds the actual caliper to the bracket (not the pivot bolts).

Fortunately, the way it's designed, once you remove the other bolt, you can remove the caliper bracket with the broken off part of the bolt as once piece (so you don't need to extract the entire front spindle). I took it to a local garage and had them put a torch to it and extract the broken part (enough sticking out to grab it with vice grips). They did it for free but probably most garages would charge a couple of bucks for the time and torch gas they burn up.

It was the weekend when I was putting it back together so I had to buy a parts store bolt that fit and cut it down size (it was too long and would have contacted the back of the rotor) to get everything back together. I stopped by a Subaru dealership that week and picked up an OEM bolt and replaced it once I had a chance.

I've subsequently removed them a few times and never had any other problems. I always spray them down with WD40 before removing them but don't do anything special (like an anti-seize).

Archived