LegacyGT.com

5MT Clutch goes "pop" when depressed..

petes99

This is an odd one.. started today on my commute. When I shift or even engage from a start.. when the clutch pedal is fully depressed, I can feel a "pop" in the pedal - and there's a fairly loud pop/click noise from underneath the car as well.

There is no similar noise/movement when the pedal is lifted - only when I step on it, to the very bottom. Its really that last inch or so - suddenly its a little 'pop' feeling.. but everything works - no slippage or anything weird. No smells, no funny shifting.. :confused:

Any ideas? I can't seem to find any similar threads.. thx!

Hmmm... there isn't much in the clutch system. If you can remove the lower dash trim and look at the pedal while pressing it with your hand you can see if it's the return spring under the pedal.

If that's not it, it's either in the master cylinder, slave cylinder, or TOB fork. Have someone press the clutch while looking under the hood and see if you can isolate the noise.

This is funny because it happened to me last week. I did a ton of research and could not find anything similar. I was about ready to take it in, fearing the worst, when it just stopped makinf the noise. I have been waiting for it happen again, but it seems to have fixed itself. '05 LGT sedan, STG 2, 48,000 miles on stock/original clutch which I have owned since new.

I had the same thing on my 05. When releasing the clutch pedal off the floor, it would make a popping sound. Like the sound of a metal bottle top when you press it in and it pops out.

It ended up being the throw out bearing...

My suspicion is that it's the TOB dragging on and loading/releasing on the snout. Either that or it's a TOB/PP interface issue and you've got something going on with your PP.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 3 months later...
Mine pops too when pressed in, but at about the half way point, not near the bottom. I have a brand new clutch so it better not be the throwout bearing! I'm trying to determine if it's temperature-related (either when the outside temp is really hot like it's been here the last 2 months, or if it only does it when the engine's cold), but I'm taking it in soon anyhow because another problem I had recently was the pedal would sink to the floor first thing in the morning. Probably need a new cylinder or two.

hey OP did you figure out what the issue was? this is like you just posted as me. i drove 171 miles and at the end of my journey my exact same car was doing the EXACT same thing. would be interested to see if you found out what your problem was.

Archived