LegacyGT.com

What is the loudest catback?

shtbxr22

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perrin cbe with a catless invida dp and a 38mm 2 inch screamer pipe ewg. Its loud enough before even before hitting boost and opening the gate to that short vta dump tube. Love my setup... Gonna give it about a week after my builds done before I get an exhast ticket. Gotta love sounding like a prodrive wrc impreza pulling up to a stoplight... minus the anti lag. Now that would just be perfect IMO

i just bought a greddy sp2 catback. i was told it was going to be pretty loud. as of right now i am not to happy with. i like LOUD exhaust. my car was straight piped and it was loud but didnt have the base and deep tone with it. some ppl said one i put some miles on my exhaust it will be louder, is this true? if not i will be looking to trade for a louder one :)

Just replace the mufflers with resonators. Maybe check out vibrantperformance.com get yourself some shiny stainless steel resonators (to match the shiny SPT mufflers). That will give it a little more bark, and you get to keep the rest of your SPT - although it will be kind of butchered...

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

i just bought a greddy sp2 catback. i was told it was going to be pretty loud. as of right now i am not to happy with. i like LOUD exhaust. my car was straight piped and it was loud but didnt have the base and deep tone with it. some ppl said one i put some miles on my exhaust it will be louder, is this true? if not i will be looking to trade for a louder one :)

^ The SP2 will still be quieter than the EVO2 variant, even after the packing settles - IIRC, that was a standard of nomenclature in the GReddy line...that was the same way for the DSMs' GReddy cat-backs, too.

Again IIRC, the SP2 on my last DSM, once the packing settled, gave the system a deeper tone than it started with, but the tone was also more mellow. I think that if you wanted a louder exhaust, you might want to go a different route.

---

On an off-shoot, I thought the SP2 was wagon (BP) fitment-only? while the EVO2 offered wagon/sedan fitments?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ The SP2 will still be quieter than the EVO2 variant, even after the packing settles - IIRC, that was a standard of nomenclature in the GReddy line...that was the same way for the DSMs' GReddy cat-backs, too.

Again IIRC, the SP2 on my last DSM, once the packing settled, gave the system a deeper tone than it started with, but the tone was also more mellow. I think that if you wanted a louder exhaust, you might want to go a different route.

---

On an off-shoot, I thought the SP2 was wagon (BP) fitment-only? while the EVO2 offered wagon/sedan fitments?

my tuner said it was for the sedan it fits perfect. im gonna talk to him and see if he can get me something else because hes the one who told me it was loud. i had an agency power catback on order but it was on a bad backorder im wondering if that one would of been louder

my tuner said it was for the sedan it fits perfect. im gonna talk to him and see if he can get me something else because hes the one who told me it was loud.

^ That's two things that's strange. :confused:

It's well known in the "Import Sport Compact Tuner" community that the EVO2 is louder than the SP2. A search of virtually any ISC community will return with this result.....

Also, RE: fitment, LGT specific -

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/greddy-sp2-vs-evo2-69261.html

http://www.greddy.com/products/display/?Category=exhaust&SubCategory=2 - GReddy's own information on the EVO2, note both sedan and wagon fitments.

http://www.greddy.com/products/display/?Category=exhaust&SubCategory=1 - The same, for the SP2, note only wagon fitment.

Something's not quite adding up, here..... :confused: It's not to say that he couldn't have given you a SP2 with the tip section modified so as to better fit the sedan's aesthetics, thus making it "sedan specific," but that's definitely not the way they came, from GReddy. Similarly, I also wonder if it's possible that either you or your tuner confused the EVO2 for the SP2, given fitment and your previous thoughts of having been told that the SP2 was supposed to be loud...and if that's the case, that you actually have the EVO2 and don't think that it's loud enough...that's going to be a harder one to crack, as it's definitely one of the less shy options on the BL/BP.

No matter what, something/someone is confused. Things aren't adding up.

So, before you jump to another exhaust, let's figure out what you actually have on your car, first.

Do you have some pictures of your car, with the GReddy exhaust on it, now?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

i just looked at the pics on greddy, my tips are the one for the evo II not sp2?? wtf?

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb24/redman9173/P5161138.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb24/redman9173/P5161135.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb24/redman9173/P5141168.jpg

^ That does indeed look like the sedan (BL) fitment EVO2. The SP2's canisters would be larger and oval shaped, with a tapered tip, and the wagon (BP) fitment EVO2 would have longer tips.

If you can afford to wait, it's certainly possible that after the packing settles, the EVO2 would be louder than it is, now - but I think you would be wise to see if others here on this Forum have experienced that kind of thing and can either confirm or deny it, for sure, before committing to this system.

^ Cool, best of luck. :)

In the mean time, I'd encourage you to also pursue advice from others here who have this system on their BL/BPs - there's quite a few, if memory serves.

The problem with this kind of waiting game is that there's variability between the different makes. It may be true that the EVO2 could get louder as the days go on, but, for example, with the Invidia N1 for the previous-generation STis, my friend's system started out obnoxiously loud and raspy, but by the end of the first month (some 500 miles or so), it had turned noticeably more mellow, losing most, if not all, of its raspy tone.

Again, best of luck! :)

i hope mine doesn't get quieter lol. i think the reason i didnt like was that it sounded quiet inside, i had my friend drive it and it sounded really good to me, so i think i will be keeping it :)

^ Cool! :) Yep, in and out-of-cabin sounds are two different things.

Glad you're liking yours! :D

woah, just about to comment on how good those tarmac 2's look against the dbm woodstock. Almost went with those, but the 18x8 3's sold me.

and definitely looks like a wagon fitment axleback to me, i like it.

Those def look like Tarmac 3's to me on Woodstock's car, I have Tarmac 2's..

Tarmac 2's 18x7.5, Magnaflow CBE painted black except for tips, bils and swifts...

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/BoozeRS05/Car%20Pictures/DSC_0998.jpg?t=1274284572

Thats weird you guys are saying the evo2 is loud, the WRX version is pretty quiet.

I've heard the SPT, a Borla, my XO2, and a Perrin. Their loudness is in that order. The SPT sounded good, but was definitely on the quiet side. I love my XO2, perfect deep rumble, medium loudness, not super loud, and is good on the highway. The Borla was similar in loudness to the xo2, nice deep tone and rumble, but not obnoxious, never got a chance to hear it on the highway. The Perrin was the loudest and kinda raspy, had some pretty bad highway drone.

Also the way the mufflers look might be important to you, it is to me anyways. I like the look of the mufflers on the Borla/XO2/SPT, they look more refined and nicer stainless tips, over the cans on the perrin and evo2 which look kinda canister style/cheaper, the EVO2 looks nicer out of the two IMO.

• 4 weeks later...
Have you gone through the exhaust compilation thread yet?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/exhaust-audio-video-clip-compilation-thread-102170.html

Greddy EVO, IMO.

I dunno about the loudest. But the "Perrin CBE w/ Perrin DP and UP" was by far the best sounding. the hogzaust thing is the most ghetto, ridiculous thing I have seen. Its sounds like what it is, an exhaust leak.

Archived