LegacyGT.com

Swapping in stock DP for NYS Inspection?

jfg22557

Got a fully catless tbe and Im wondering if swapping my invidia for the stock dp to go in to get my inspection done would be necessary.

Do they put a sniffer on the axleback or is it just an ecu scan for cel's and other random non-exhaust/cat related tests?

What do you fellow catless guys do?

So Im still slightly confused though. I know my area does the OBD2 test to check for cel's, but what I was unsure of is whether or not they'd put a sniffer on my exhaust in addition to that.

I failed to watch the last time I got my inspection done, so Im interested in if they do one or the other or both.

Some vehicles are exempt from the emissions inspection program: Your passenger car or light truck does not have to be inspected for emissions if it is:

Less than two model years old;

26 model years old or older;

Registered with historical plates; or,

Electric-powered only.

Being your an 05 they should be putting a sniffer in.

Just cause you have no cat does not mean you will fail the sniffer. If they look for the cat then your in trouble. I've seen shops put the sniffer in a car not being tested. Drivers in both, and they revs the engine at the same time as the tested car.

I'm sure if your asking these questions you don't have a guy who will help you out on this.

I thought NYS canned the sniffer test on AWD cars in NYC and all cars outside the NYC Metro area and just use the OBDII test in the NY Metro area and the CEL outside NYC?

-mike

I thought the same. I know in Westchester there are no more sniffers. They always ask me, "do you have a CEL on?" I reply, "no." Then they just connect their OBD II reader and make sure it passes readiness. My GTI was catless and this worked. I will be having my car inspected in about a week and I'm catless with the Subaru, so we'll find out.

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully they can get rid of the "all readiness test not complete" message. I read that on the newer ECUs it's harder to get rid of that message. You can clear the CELs but not the readiness test with the opensource stuff. This may have changed since I haven't researched it in about a year.

-mike

Archived