LegacyGT.com

Head Gasket Leaking

Lotek

At the begginging of this year I found that I have a head gasket leaking. I put the car up for sale. My bosses brother, a mechanic and heavily modified saab driver, told me to just use this stuff (forget the name) that pours into your radiator and seals up the external leaks. Does this work?

Not for long.

Its the cheap way to fix a leaking head gasket. Usually the 99-up motors just leaked coolant onto the ground. If its just leaking coolant onto the ground this repair will last longer than if it was leaking into the combustion chamber. Either way, to fix the car the gasket will need to be replaced. I'd give it a go and see how it works. If head gasket is blown and leaking compression gasses, then you'll need to change the oil as well, and the repair probably won't last a week.

I mean its worth a shot, but don't expect it to be an end all to your leaking gasket issue. It will start leaking again, you can count on it. I'd try it just until you can get another car, or fix the one you have.

Are you selling this car as is, and telling potential buyers that it needs a head gasket?

I have the car up for sale on craiglist right now, as I am looking into getting an older 2.5rs. Honestly, i did not mention the slight leak although i should, i just mentioned what parts are new. The gaskets could last for 50,000 miles, or 5 miles. No one knows. Thanks for the info, you really know your stuff.

wow. you better be telling people it has a leaking head gasket whether the Liquid Repair worked or not. No offense but that's really messed up if you sell that to someone after you use the "Head-gasket Sealer" and it actually works for a lil bit, just enough for the person to buy it and drive it home, pulling into there driveway with a Re-leaking head gasket!

Take it from me. I had a leaking head-gasket on the same Subi. Mine was a internal combustion leak though and I tried like 10 different "Snake" products that didn't do SH*T! I'll get the whole list of ones I used if someone wants. Mine was just a small leak at first too. And I followed the instructions too perfection! Even letting it sit overnight unless it told me to drive on it. Apparently a internal combustion head-gasket leak produces too much combustion blow-by pressure, even with a small leak to use any kind of sealer to repair it. Now if it's "External" thus leaking on the ground. Give it a GO! The "snake sealer" might slither in & seal it for a month.....or a day...or 5 minutes. TRY USING "Steal Seal" I have never tried it but Scotty Kilmer a reputable mechanic with a online site and Q&A forums claims that it works great. He has a whole bunch of car tip videos too including one about "Steal Seal". Look it up on google or you tube. GOOD LUCK!

Archived