LegacyGT.com

Clutch slipping, need advice

RJS5689

Well I noticed today that my clutch is starting to slip in 5th and 6th on the highway. I think I should start thinking about replacement options sooner, rather than later. I know that with the Spec.B 6MT I can use any STI clutch with my factory flywheel (doing a search for an STI clutch usually yields more results on manufactures websites than a search for Spec.B parts). I'm just not sure what route I should take. I have heard some bad stories from Spec owners, so I may want to steer clear. I've heard some good things about ACT. The vehicle is running a stage 2 e-tune. I guess I'm just looking for some good clutch advice. What parts should I be replacing, just a clutch disc? Do I need to look at replacing anything else such as the flywheel or pressure plate? I'm trying to keep this as low cost as possible, but I want to make sure I get everything done properly.

Hard to say, i think once you get it to the repair shop or open it up your self they/you will see if any of the other parts need replacing.(dammage)

you can debate now if you whant to go with aftermarket or OEM and weather or not you would like to any upgrades like lightweight flywheels; stage 2 clutches Etc. Might read around and look at other clutch threads/posts and get some ideas.

Hard to say, i think once you get it to the repair shop or open it up your self they/you will see if any of the other parts need replacing.(dammage)

you can debate now if you whant to go with aftermarket or OEM and weather or not you would like to any upgrades like lightweight flywheels; stage 2 clutches Etc. Might read around and look at other clutch threads/posts and get some ideas.

I definitely plan on going aftermarket and with a stage 2 setup.

I would think you would typically want to replace the pressure plate with the clutch disc, especially if your thinking of going aftermarket because the pressure plate is going to determine your clamping strength.

As far as the flywheel, you would definitely have to inspect it before making a decision on replacement or surfacing if possible.

Just my .02, and currently I think I'm going to be looking for a clutch soon, I opened up the rubber boot on the clutch fork and all I could see in there is clutch fibers everywhere... It's not slipping yet but I don't foresee it lasting much longer.

I would think you would typically want to replace the pressure plate with the clutch disc, especially if your thinking of going aftermarket because the pressure plate is going to determine your clamping strength.

As far as the flywheel, you would definitely have to inspect it before making a decision on replacement or surfacing if possible.

Just my .02, and currently I think I'm going to be looking for a clutch soon, I opened up the rubber boot on the clutch fork and all I could see in there is clutch fibers everywhere... It's not slipping yet but I don't foresee it lasting much longer.

Can I also use an STI flywheel in my vehicle? I've been looking around on the ACT website so far. I have never really looked into transmission parts for this car before, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can at this point.

EDIT: It looks like I can use the same parts as the STI transmission. So far I've been reading up on the ACT HD-SS clutch kit. What are some other good options?

Can someone explain the differences in reliability and performance from a disc style clutch and a puck style clutch? It seems like disc style is the way to go for a daily driver from what I have read.

You seem to learned a lot reading that. Yes stay away from a puck for a DD. I have a Spec 2+ with over 53,000 miles on it and love it. You don't need a puck style, are you going to race it a lot ?

I think for most DD a Spec 2 would be fine.

To get the real answer for your question contact Danny Smith at http://honda-tech.com/member.php?u=2910

or here http://www.specclutch.com/contact

Danny's a good friend and can answer all your questions.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It looks like I may have narrowed things down a bit. I have come down to three choices that seem to come as highly recommended.

ACT HDSS setup

Exedy Stage 1 (Stage 2 is a puck style, so I want to avoid that)

Spec Stage 2 setup

I guess the only way to know if I need the flywheel replaced is once they open it up and take a look inside? Guess I'm going to be out of a car once this process begins. I don't want to buy a new flywheel, but not end up needing one.

I know NSFW is using a bully clutch setup and it comes highly reccmended...search for his swap thread...This will be thr route I will take. Also, how many miles on your car? Its an 08 so you must drive it hard...
Rehab is for quitters.

I know NSFW is using a bully clutch setup and it comes highly reccmended...search for his swap thread...This will be thr route I will take. Also, how many miles on your car? Its an 08 so you must drive it hard...

It has 60,000 miles on it. I don't really drive it too hard. I mean I like to have fun, but I don't really launch it, or slip the clutch. I don't drive it any harder than I drove my previous car (which was at stage 2 for longer).

IMO your going to need a FW, that's seems to be the issue with the dual mass unit. The Dealer told me it couldn't be resurfaced, that was back in June 07.

I highly recommend the Spec set up. Awesome customer service. Plus you can see these guy's at the tracks. I haven't ever seen a ACT company rep at a race where you could talk to them. I have had good customer service from Exedy and have seen them at some races but not lately.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

IMO your going to need a FW, that's seems to be the issue with the dual mass unit. The Dealer told me it couldn't be resurfaced, that was back in June 07.

I highly recommend the Spec set up. Awesome customer service. Plus you can see these guy's at the tracks. I haven't ever seen a ACT company rep at a race where you could talk to them. I have had good customer service from Exedy and have seen them at some races but not lately.

I know people seem to recommend Spec, but I know too many people who have had issues with Spec. When I was VW/Audi performance, both my bosses swore off Spec after having problems with Spec clutches in their GLIs. I know a member on here had problems with a Spec clutch in his LGT also. I'll keep them in mind as an option though. I just feel as if I have plenty of other options that have come highly recommended. I did just call Spec to get some information from them. Their lightweight flywheel is only 10.5 lbs :eek:. If I do go the Spec route I would need to decide between Stage 1 and Stage 2, although I'm definitely leaning towards their Stage 2 setup.

From what I have read, it looks like I don't want a lightweight flywheel either. I've read some people on here say it makes the car feel weaker when it takes off (although I'm not quite sure how that's possible.)

Spec also lists their clutch as an 05-07 model fitment... Do they know of the flywheel change? 07 did not have the same flywheel as 05.

I don't know about you 5MT GT guys, I have a 6MT from the STI in my car. The 6MT was the same throughout the model years.

spec clutches are designed to work with the OEM dualmass fly or specs lightweight version. you cannot mix ACT with spec.

And that raises the question as to weather or not I want a lightweight flywheel. The Spec flywheel is really, really light. I have heard that lightweight flywheels will rev quicker, but don't allow the vehicle to launch as hard.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump old thread, but your original post is exactly what I would have posted had I not searched first...

I'm in the same boat and am looking for advice on which route to take. My stock 08 Spec B clutch is starting to slip a bit in 5th/6th. I've only got 36k miles on it, but it is tuned for stage 2. I'm looking to get this resolved as cheaply as possible and wonder what to replace while it's apart. I know from previous experience that I don't want a lwfw, but I don't want to button it all back up with a new clutch disk/pressure plate and throwout bearing only to find out my flywheel is crap. What parts did you end up putting in and would you have done anything differently knowing what you do now?

I have the Spec LWFW with the 2+ clutch. I have lost some low rpm drivablity in 4th and 5th gears but the clutch is so much better then OEM.

I think the idea set up would be the single mass OEM style FW and 2 or 2+ Spec.

You should have your OEM FW checked by a machine shop and resurfaced when you install a new clutch.

The guy's at Fredbeans can help with parts and advise as well as you may want to call Spec and talk with the experts.

The problem with resurfacing is that I need to get this done over a weekend. I have a lift to use and a mechanic to help, but we won't really have anyway of getting the flywheel machined during this process. I'm wondering if it can be reused as is, or if there is something I can do with it while everything is apart or if I just need to go new. From what I understand the flywheel in the 6mt is a single mass already?

At least wipe it down with Acetone or a good degreaser.

But you didn't hear that from me.

I do wipe down flywheels and brake rotors with that stuff before I install them.

I think I'm going to go with this ACT clutch setup:

http://www.importimageracing.com/p/ACT-Heavy-Duty-Street-Clutch-LGT-Spec-B.html

I'm still not sure what to do about the flywheel though. I'm considering buying a used flywheel from a member here to have machined and ready for install with the new clutch.

Check with the guy's at Fredbeans about the new flywheel bolts they have set up in a kit with the proper tool.

Good to hear your going to do this right the first time. It will work out cheaper in the long run.

I'm going to replace the clutch in my Spec B before it goes out. No issues, no slipping. 37,770 miles. I just got tuned on the BNR 20G, put down 354whp, and I know its only a matter of time before it goes out.

Any other opinions or recommendations from Spec B owners who are currently using aftermarket clutches/flywheels?

Also, is the TSK Tranquil bearing and sleeve that everyone mentions using for the 5mt able to be used in the 6mt?

Still not sure what to do about the flywheel. All I know is I don't want a light weight piece, and I don't want to do this job again.

Archived