LegacyGT.com

is 3 grand good for a turbo and engine rebuild?

I also want to add that a compression test was done and is fine. The pasenger side was low compression,but nothing to indcate an internal failure. Like pistons,heads,cam. I guess I got lucky and it only needs cleaned out and new seals, and gaskets. Also of course the turbo.

I would get in writing *all* the parts and labor that is "agreed to" for that price and compare that with your educated expectations. You added piston/rings in a previous post. As an experienced consumer, don't cheerfully assume anything. Not trying to rain on your parade; but suggest you trust but verify...there's no free lunch.

IMO your not getting a engine rebuild. Your getting an engine inspection. A rebuild includes new rings, bearings and machine work. As long as he's sure he can get all the metal out, if the compressor blade really came apart...how bad was the turbo ?

May be most of us are thinking the turbo really came apart ?

If it's not that bad, that's good for you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sorry if I have confused some of you. I may also be wording things wrong also. I paid today for a new turbo and all the stuff for it. New lines,screens etc. I also paid for the timing belt and tensionors, pullies. The agreement was also and I have in writing was to completely tear down motor and replace the enigine seals and so on. There is no internal damage. The engine re seal is a precaution for any gaskets and seals that could have been affected by the metal in the oil pan. Total bill with all parts and labor and tax was 3250.

If the shop didn't have a lot of overhead, I don't see why this deal couldn't be reasonable. I'm sure he's also paying a lot less for parts than what you would see on the receipt or what Subaru would quote you. If business is slow, then even more reason to cut a deal on labor.

Archived