LegacyGT.com

is 3 grand good for a turbo and engine rebuild?

Hey all! I just got a call from my mechanic today and he stated that they are replacing the turbo and everything with it lines,screens,etc. He also said they are going to tear down the motor and rebuild it basically. So I am getting all new gaskets,rings,seals, the whole 9 yards. I was surprised when he said it was only going to be 3 grand for the turbo and a engine rebuild. Is that a good price?

If your mechanic isn't an experienced Subaru engine builder this won't end up being the bargain it sounds like on the surface.

Besides, lets say the turbo is $1k of the budget. The remaining $2k would barely cover parts & the engine R&R labor. I guess the build & machine work is free?

The turbo and all the lines,screens,banjo bolts etc are 1500 below Subaru costs. That is with my mechanic ordering from Subaru. The timing chain and rebuild is 1500 total with labor. My mechanic is certified in Subaru's. 1500 for turbo and 1500 for timing chain and all the gaskets with labor included. I hope it is not one of the too good to be true stories.

My mechanic also said there is no machining needed. He just wants to replace all the seals and gaskets on the motor so it is strong again.

i don't agree with this, the only reason to replace gaskets, is if they leak.. do they?

is the turbo replacement $1500?, because if it is, there are far more options than a new trubo from subaru..

i don't think i'd eat what this mechanic is serving..

what exaxtly was the car taken to the mechanic for?

See if some of the iic guys will do this build for you. You can order the parts from Gizzmo and pay one of those guys to do it. Just a thought.

IMO $3000 is a low to fair price on this rebuild though.

I originally took the car in because the turbo went out. I know 1500 is not a good deal for a stock turbo to be put back on, but what can I do? I'm in Indiana and we do not have dynos for awd anywhere(we are basically a non emissions state so there is no need for a dyno). I can't put a bigger turbo on without a custom tune. I can't drive the car 4 hours to a dyno if I did put a bigger one on. So I figure I'd just stay with a stock turbo. The turbo went out and basically blew the mectal frags into the motor. It runs just fine the mechanic is just going to tear down the motor and clean it out really good and re seal the motor with gaskets,seals, etc. There is also no cylinder problems or any internal motor issues. Just needs to be cleaned out and re sealed.

I would go to subaru myself and order a VF52(09 Impreza WRX turbo) and put it in. I just had my turbo blow on me about a week ago and didn't want to pay the $200 to have it replaced by P & L motorsports. So I wanted the experience and did it myself. BTW I had to drive my car with a blown turbo for over 50 miles. The car was fine. Turbo is shot but the engine is fine. I doubt your car will need new engine parts for a blown turbo. unless there was metal in the oil. Then you will need them. I got my stock turbo from subaru for about $1,050. I would not go with this guy. usually mechanics charge almost $800+ just for a timing belt.

I want to upgrade the turbo just do not have a way to get a tune done. Money is not the issue at all. I would love to have the vf52. I just cannot find anyone to tune the car after wards. I was quoted 1500 for turbo and all the parts with it screens,lines, all for 1500, and 1500 for all new gaskets,and timing chain. There was metal in the oil pan so I will need all new engine seals and gaskets. Funny my turbo blew that bad without any mods and oil changed every 2500 miles.

Maybe I'm mis-hearing, but the price sounds reasonable to me if the guy is a very experienced Subaru mechanic doing work at non-dealership rates. My indy charges $50 an hour, and freely states he is not an expert at things like Subaru tuning or Porsche Engine work, but has 30+ years of experience as an ASE master mechanic and now does work in a garage built off the side of his house.

So I know those types of guys are out there.

I'd consider $3k to be reasonable if it involves a new turbo & lines and, while in their, a tear down and freshening of the engine including a $400-500 set of new pistons & rings.

Near cost, that's probably $1500-1750 in parts (including all the little things & fluids) and $1200+ for labor, right?

Yeah it is 3 grand total for parts an labor. I thought metal in oil was bad also, but a lot of people said that it is common with this happening. I have read so many people on here having same issue. My mechanic is certified on all foriegn cars. That's all they work on is subau,Audi,Mercedes etc. I hope it all ends up ok. It's 1500 for turbo and all the lines,screens, and seals. Then 1500 total for timming belt and seals,rings,piston seals,etc. Subaru quoted me 3000 total just for turbo and all the parts for the turbo, that's not inclding timming belt and all the engine seals.

Archived