LegacyGT.com

55W HID Kit - Do I Need Relay Harness??

CCSubaru

Hello, I did a little research and couldn't really find anything substantial so I'm asking the community..

I just bought a 55W Apexcone Kit and was wondering if i need the relay harness or will I be okay without it?

Without, I found that I had noticeably more cold-start non-firing of the passenger side, than I do with.

With, the only time I have such problems are typically after the car's sat for quite a few hours, on the colder days of our (NE-Ohio) winter months.

Given your location, CC, I'd do it, particularly given how easy the wiring is.

I didn't not do mine, at first, because I didn't want to spend the money or was lazy. Rather, it was because I wanted to experiment and see what would happen. ;) I'm more or less at a stopping point with my mods now, so I've started to go back and play with "fun" projects, and this is one of them. :) I'm sorta "evolving" the lights.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Thanks for the info tsi. I might just try it without for now and if I notice any problems I will immediately put the relay in.. I'm mostly just lazy, but it's also my first HID install so I don't want to go too crazy although it seems pretty straight forward

^ It's really straightforward, but if you're game for some experimentation, it's a fun little thing to try, as it really doesn't make a difference, one way or the other, in the overall install procedures - you can go back later to add the harness, "without penalty," so to speak. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I ordered the 55w Apexcone Raptor 2 kit last week and just got it today. I didnt get the relay harness either, hope I wont need it.

The Ballasts do not have "Apexcone" stamped on it at all. Is it like this for the rest of you as well? How do I know its not some other brand or anything like that.

In the past threads I saw people mount the ballasts on the windshield reservoir tank and under the passenger side headlight. Thats what I'll probably do too....

Where did you guys decide to mount the ballasts?

Hey guys,

I need some help here...I bought a 35W HID kit and a relay as well and wired them both up. After connecting it to the battery and grounding the relay it still didn't work and when i turned the lights off they flickered like strobes. Am I don't something wrong? Can anyone help me with this?? If I have to buy a 55W Apexone kit i will but would rather not spend the money if i can get the relay working...

Thoughts?..Comments?....Bueler??

I'm not sure how your outback works but when your DRLs come on they don't use the whole 55w or whatever halogen bulb that is inside of your headlight it only uses a certain amount of that until you turn the lights on your stalk on. Which doesnt allow the ballast to ignite because its not getting enough juice.

I'm not sure how your battery harness works with that but that's the only thing i can think of. Hope you get it figured out.

I have a 2005 legacy and i just purchased 8000k hid kit. the problem is i have no idea on what to do with the drl's. do i disconnect? i bought a relay and that is supost to allow me to not disconnect the drl's. either way i don't care, i just want to do it right so i will not have any problems with the way the lights perform. i have heard that if you dont disconnect the right drl plug the power is still there?? will the relay help?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

subarutrim is correct from what i have read...for the 05-07s the DRLs have to be disabled because the bulbs are both the DRLs and the low beams. Therefore while in DRL mode the ballasts are not receiving full power so will not fire up. A relay harness will not change this, it will only make the lights draw the power directly from the battery as opposed to the stock relay that sometimes does not five enough curfrent to the ballasts. disabling the DRLs is your only option.

Ok so i installed the 8000k hid kit and looks great!!! nut i do have a problem, when i drive it seems like i cant see with the lights. Are they not alligned? when i pull up to a wall it looks like the projected light is not strait across more like higher on the sides and dips towards the middle of the car kinda like a bowl shape. are the balbs possibly not put in correctly????

I would first pull the bulbs out and re insert them and make sure the metal clip thing is secure, if that doesn't fix it i would go through the alignment process that can be found stickied in the exterior forums

ok so i have everything installed for about 4 days now and last night ipulled into my driveway and the lights were shining on my garage and i noticed that there is a flicker to them on both sides.....:mad::mad::mad:. i have checked and everything seems to be hooked up right. does anyone have a clue on what the hell is going on with them???:spin:

Archived