LegacyGT.com

such a smooth, quiet ride...

on the way to a client yesterday morning, i had to fight traffic, as the road to get there goes from 2 lanes, to one. there was this guy in a camry who was basically being a prick - intentionally driving below the speed limit, holding up traffic, mostly because he was lounging back in his seat without a care in the world.

the road had split out to 2 lanes, and we were approaching the stop light, where it dropped down to 1 lane again. i decided that i didnt want to be behind this clownshoe anymore, so i dropped it into manumatic. mind you, i usually have my music blasting, so i usually cant hear the engine, if at all.

this is where having too smooth of a ride comes it. light turns green, and i jump out, with the intent to get in front of him and merge, without incident. well, that wasnt the case. stupid me forgot i was in manumatic mode, and as a result, i hit the rev limiter a couple of times...then i got bogged down in 2nd going into third. this cost me precious time, as the road merge was short, and the camry moved ahead of me. i didnt feel that the engine was hitting the high revs until the limiter kicked in - a wake up call to me...more like an 'oh shat, i gotta shift!'

with that all said, it's not really a complaint that the legacy is such a smooth and quiet ride, but more of a lesson for me to a) remember to shift, and b) pay attention.

that is all:D

Doh! I wonder what the camry driver thinks of Legacies now.

I find myself doing that as well - some days I'm just a better drive than others. With the 5MT, some days it's smooth as butter. Other days I keep missing revs, bucking, rubber banding, it's just frustrating.

Doh! I wonder what the camry driver thinks of Legacies now.

I find myself doing that as well - some days I'm just a better drive than others. With the 5MT, some days it's smooth as butter. Other days I keep missing revs, bucking, rubber banding, it's just frustrating.

i'm pretty sure he didnt notice, as he was in his own little world.

i'll have days where i'll space out, and forget to shift...then i'll wonder why i've lost momentum and be like, 'oh....oh yeah, gotta shift:eek:"

Same thing happened to me this morning. The dodge ram probably though my car ran out of balls or something. Good thing though, because I really didn't want to go too much over the speed limit. I'll let him be the one caught doing 85 in a 35.

i'm pretty sure he didnt notice, as he was in his own little world.

i'll have days where i'll space out, and forget to shift...then i'll wonder why i've lost momentum and be like, 'oh....oh yeah, gotta shift:eek:"

One more reason to have a 5MT... you've always got to shift, it becomes more reflex than conscious action. That said, it feels like the rev limiter will come up quickly in 1 and 2, once I finish the torturous break-in miles...

DKB

One more reason to have a 5MT... you've always got to shift, it becomes more reflex than conscious action. That said, it feels like the rev limiter will come up quickly in 1 and 2, once I finish the torturous break-in miles...

DKB

believe me, 4k rpm is literally right in your face in 1st and 2nd. i remember having to really discipline, as well as time myself when it came to shifting before or at 4,000rpm. but man...once that break in period's over, this car is an absolute joy to drive:D

Yeah, it revs SO quickly that staying under 4K was a lot tougher than I thought for the first 1k. The smooth engine seems like it could rev forever. My last car's engine was so rough, it felt like if I didn't shift by 3K it was gonna fall apart.

Yea I hit the rev limiter this past weekend (5MT) passing a line of slow cars, I was in third around 3000 rpm. and shot past the cars, I was not paying attention to the rpms and it bounced of the limiter like 3 times fast, kinda suprized me, seemed like it had more from the feel of the pedal. I was paying more attention to getting around the line of cars. Oh well at least I know the limiter works!

when i took it for a test drive, the salesman had to drive it out of the lot (dealer on a big blind hill - apparently people were getting whacked pulling out of the lot on their test drives).

he pulls out, and "WAA-WAA-WAA-WAA-WAA!!!!" he was bouncing off the rev limiter and didn't know what was going on! :D he seemed real embarrassed, like the car was junk or something. i explained that he was in manual mode and needed to shift.

i can't fully blame him for being stupid - he was a VW salesman from the other side of the dealer and was showing me the car because they were busy. nice guy, too, but it was funny!

Archived