LegacyGT.com

5EAT TCU Reverse Engineering

utc_pyro

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait to see results. A tunable TCU would kick some ass, and possibly negate the need for a shift kit...

Unfortunately I don't think it will. There is mechanical and logic aspects that need to be in agreement. Mechanical mods will still be needed in order to improve ATF flow and reaction times.

I am dynoing 355whp on my 5EAT did a pull 1-4 letting off after shifting into 4th. I threw three codes. MAF which I have a new larger housing for mine, a vacuum leak.... haven't taken a look yet, and P0171 TCM MALFUNCTION. Any ideas? only happened under full WOT not sure where exactly that code kicked in but kinda scary since I have a built transmission and do not wanna F it all up.

i have seen that code once, i gues keep going and see if it throws it again..

the major thing to keep the tranny alive is make sure the shifts don't take to long.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Anyone seen this or have any insight?

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/subaru/2007-subaru-liberty-gt-tuned-by-sti-ar32059.html

With a comprehensive list of mechanical and cosmetic enhancements, features include...Manual variants feature a six-speed STI short shift gear lever, while automatics have a revised transmission control unit (TCU) producing a faster, sportier response.

I wonder if this would provide crisper shifts that could be made even better with the VB fix :confused:

I'm almost certain that the tunes by STi doesn't have any different hardware in the gearbox. I think it's part of the ECU tune (ie line pressure) rather than TCU.

:lol:

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

It's all CAN bus based (no specific addresses/ID's for the TCU), so it should just be a drop in and go deal. It probably has a sportier and higher line pressure than ours.

Any one have a lead on one? ;)

Also anyone have the pinout of the WRX STI 5EAT TCU? It might be even better.

Edited by utc_pyro

The WRX one would be very interesting as well...but could someone explain to me how it could be a 'drop and go thing' or not require matching JDM electronics. Let me preface by saying I know NOTHING about auto trans management systems aside from what I pick up in these threads. My skepticism is based on the fact that no one to my knowledge has ever swapped TCU's between JDM/AUS/USDM and I have never seen any international parts dealers working with them.

As long as they are transmsions are mechanically the same (so the TCU tuning works) with the pinout for the plugs are the same, the other computers SHOULDN'T give a crap about what TCU you have plugged in. CAN bus (what links the ABS-ECU-TCU-Airbag-BIU) does not ave specific addresses to devices for the data it sends across. Just data types (I'd have to go look for the exact terminology). So as long as something on the bus is responding to those data types, and reporting back the correct types, you're shouldn't get a CEL.

I think subarutech77 swapped out the TCU on one of his cars to one with sport-shift inputs.

Edited by utc_pyro

Wikipedia is always right. That and I'll pay you $5 if you can identify what about the 'sporty shifting' (:lol:) of the legacy is so special that it required licensed technology from a company that is way too good for the US market.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

LGT's Prodrive technology = sporty shifting paddles. It's impossible to pretend that you're driving an F1 car without them. Where's my $5?:lol:

You mean the paddles with the simple on/off switch that tells the TCU to select a different gear? Crazy technology.

I don't have paddles. But for paddles I'll give you $5 :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I don't know anything about computers beyond Paint and Office Suite. I can barely organize my photos. I am not and never was remotely capable of reverse engineering the TCU, at least not with software, and I never said I was :)

Good news: The test TCU is back on my desk.

Bad news: I'm so busy that it'll be awhile before I make much progress :(. I don't have any experience with this architecture or the buses used to talk to the CPU, so I'm having to figure that out as I go. So again, if you guys can find someone with previous experience with this CPU (it's used on some old evo's), I'll pass the test TCU and some cash to them.

There are some rumors that EcuTECK (sp?) has stopped flashing the old ECU's based on this platform because of common failures. An intercept module (Think piggyback ECU) to boost the shift pressure might be the way to go. You wont be able to change the shift points for say, but you can modify how much "pressure" is commanded and the ramp. With ClimberD's valve body work, it'd probably work really well.

To the 07+ guys: You're is easy, it flashes just like the ECU. Coby could probably modify ECU flash to read the rom (and start the hacking) with a little bribe.

Edited by utc_pyro

Good news: The test TCU is back on my desk.

Bad news: I'm so busy that it'll be awhile before I make much progress :(. I don't have any experience with this architecture or the buses used to talk to the CPU, so I'm having to figure that out as I go. So again, if you guys can find someone with previous experience with this CPU (it's used on some old evo's), I'll pass the test TCU and some cash to them.

There are some rumors that EcuTECK (sp?) has stopped flashing the old ECU's based on this platform because of common failures. An intercept module (Think piggyback ECU) to boost the shift pressure might be the way to go. You wont be able to change the shift points for say, but you can modify how much "pressure" is commanded and the ramp. With ClimberD's valve body work, it'd probably work really well.

To the 07+ guys: You're is easy, it flashes just like the ECU. Coby could probably modify ECU flash to read the rom (and start the hacking) with a little bribe.

What you propose sort of already exists in the form of aftermarket TCUs. However, these TCUs are more standalone-ish than piggyback-ish. I don't know that piggyback would be any better than standalone, since either way the stock TCU will wrongly assume there are major faults that require safeguards. Also piggyback would be more for shift characterization than actual shift points relative to mph and load. With this consideration, a standalone style TCU, which already exists and has been used on the RE5R05A variant family, may be the superior choice. The only better situation would actually be rewriting a SIGNIFICANT portion of the stock TCU. Not just a few tables. Being familiar with various parameters and tables used to control modern TCUs, I can confidently say there is a lot that needs to be modified.

• 2 months later...

I found the following link which mentions the software for reflashing the ECU & TCU (SAE J2534 program), seems there's a Subaru cd which can be purchased for $75 with the files on cdrom (includes ECU & TCU info). Straight from the link below:

"It seems like it should be possible to trace that program's calls to the J2534 API and capture the data being sent to the ECU. This data should include the kernel."

http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?t=2486

Could this potentially help in sniffing out the TCU interface / parameters?

If we had a contact at a Subie dealer maybe we could get someone to burn a copy of one of the CD's even?

I found another site showing how someone hacked the SVX TCU & all of the applicable data they were able to find (pretty interesting reading if you are curious about the TCU software). http://www.alcyone.org.uk/ssm/tcureverse.html

Edited by rubberman