LegacyGT.com

Window Tint %

iyamdman

I spent some time looking through the site for Window Tint info.

It seems that the % is a question.

Some people refer to 35% as and amount of light that is blocked, and others seem to refer to it as the amount of light that is transfered.

2 Questions.

1) What is Limo tint? What percentage of light blocked?

2) When someone says 20% tint, is that a dark tint, one that transfers 20% of the light?

IMO, 35% is a good compromise, people can still see out in low light situations and if you get a quality film it will block at least 90% of UV. That's the main reason people get a tint correct?

Dave.

Gumby Im actually going to tint my car tonight after getting off of nightwork. I never had a car tinted and dont think I want anything too dark. I was thinking of 50% or 35% on all windows. I like the same tint on all 5 windows to be the same. My concern is would 35% be too dark or 50% too light?? Im sure many people have done this. Any input? One concern is here in Pennsylvania on new cars NO TINT is legal and I dont want to get slapped for fines and such.

I really think that 50% would be too light, I personally like the look of 20% all the way around - you can see through the windows at night from the inside just fine, but it still looks nice from the outside on a bright day when light's shining on it... if it's between 50 and 35 I would say go with 35.

Weston

My business partner has a BMW 330ci - with Limo tint on sides and rear.

I have driven in it in the day and night, and it is dark but not bad.

On a bright SoCal day it is great!

I tend to haul a MTB in back, so I am thinking Limo in the rear and rear sides and back passengers.

My only problem with Limo in the rear, is that I don't like not seeing what the car in front of the one I am behind is doing. In SoCal traffic, it helps to avoid a rear ending. So if I have Limo, then the guy behind me can't see what the guy in front of me is doing - I just don't think most driver seem to drive at that level.

I have heard 2 things about California. Legal tint on the front is 30%, but I also saw that it was 70% transmitted. Anyone know which one it is?

70% transmitted would be a really light tint.

Maybe I do 30% for front sides and rear, and 20% for the rest.

Next, my dealer would do the install (great price) but said they would have to use Aluminum for the rear because of the antenna.

Can anyone verify that or give me some idea about the different metals in tint?

I know there is ceramic, titanium and aluminum, but I can't find any info on how they are different and which one is best for a certain situation.

CA law is 70% in front and the rear sides and rear window are any shade you want. The slight factory tint is already right around 70%, so effectively you cannot legally tint you front side windows at all.

Realistically, many people put some 50% on their front sides and 35% or darker on the rear windows and very few cops will hassle you about it. I've always gone 35% all around, as I can't stand uneven shades of tint front to back. I only gotten 1 ticket for tint over the last 12 years, and I had a friend who is a cop sign it off for me, although I've heard they can't do that anymore.

Oh, if you can afford it, true ceramic films are the best. No RF interference, high heat rejection, low reflectance. Metallic based films are next best, but some do exhibit RF interference in some applications. Being that our radio antennas are imbedded in the rear glass, you do run the risk of losing some radio reception. Otherwise, metallic films over high heat rejection, and vary is reflectance. Some are designed to be shiny, but that is not inherently true of metallic films. The last is dyed films. The cheapest option, they look good, but do not block much heat, and will eventually fade and purple. On the bright side, you they won't interfere with you radio reception.

I want an even tint on both front and back side windows. I dont like the look of two different shades. Several people told me that 50% would be too light. I think Ill go with 35% all around. In the scheme of things hopfully the police and state inspection wont be too bothered. thanks for the input. It helped me decide. Franklin

Here, to help you decide.

35% on the sides and 20% on the rear...looks just SWEET. You do want to go darker on the rear (always) because it is a larger surface and when you look thru it, it will not be offset by another dark surface (you never tint your windshield)...unlike the sides.

I chickened out at 20% all around because it became too dark and that would have been a sure "fix-it" ticket. This way...I am only flipping a coin every time i meet a cop. Actually it is not that bad...with LGTs dark interior...I think my solution is the best compromise. And by the way...don't do 20% rear doors and 35% front doors...it will not look smooth, homogenous...it will look more like a tree-shade job.

http://www2.uic.edu/~bcatal1/etcetera/DSCF0041%20%28Small%29.JPG

http://www2.uic.edu/~bcatal1/etcetera/DSCF0051%20%28Small%29.JPG

Things to note:

* You'll need to buy new window cleaner that's tint safe. I use Stoner Auto Glass Cleaner. The only problem (to me) is that it's not as strong as Windex. I use Stoner on the tinted windows and windex on the front. Some windows you don't need to clean religiously. The rear hatch (for wagons) or rear window (for sedans) or the little windows. The big windows are the most dirty prone.

* Don't stick anything on the windows. Say if you had kids and they like to stick stuff to the windows. It might pull on the tint and damage it.

* Since your windows will be tinted, just be a little more careful when you're moving stuff around inside. On my old car, I had my windows tinted and for some odd reason on some odd day I was trying to get out and whipped the seatbelt buckle around my shoulder and it nicked the window, but since I had tint on it, it took a chunk out of it. It was a small enough that no one noticed - not even Carmax =).

Most people who tint windows are doing it for various reasons:

* for looks (show cars will black out the windows or put limo tint on it)

* Cuts down on UV

* Cuts down on heat (car sitting in an open parking lot in the summer)

* Cuts down on glare (natural)

* Cuts down on glare (headlights behind you)

In MD, the shop is suppose to sign a mirror hanger of what type of tint was used, what company made it, what lot number and what the percentage is. If you get pulled over and the cop says "hey too dark", you can say "hey, 35%, nice try". I think the only way you can go darker is say your windows are 20% or even 5% but the passenger and driver side is completely untinted - like all the SUVs you see.

I've seen 50%, 35% and 20%. If your purpose is to cut down on glare from the sun shining into the eyes of someone sitting inside the car (in my case, my son sitting in the back seat), 50% is way too light and even 35% is in my opinion a little too light. I've never seen 5%, but 20% works reasonably well. I haven't gotten around to it, but I plan to do 20% on all 4 rear side windows of my Legacy wagon. I decided not to put anything on the rear window because my wife has 35% on the rear window of her car and I don't like how hard it is to see other cars at night.

-Matt

50% realy isnt dark at all. almost not notice able

35% u can see through it but it blocks quite a bit

20% from a distance is black like limo tint but when u get closer u can see into the car

5% is generaly considered limo tint and is very very dark

in my last car i had 35% in front and 20% in the rear. i think that is a pretty popular level

I haven't gotten around to it, but I plan to do 20% on all 4 rear side windows of my Legacy wagon. I decided not to put anything on the rear window because my wife has 35% on the rear window of her car and I don't like how hard it is to see other cars at night.

-Matt

THAT is just WRONG.

Things to note:

* You'll need to buy new window cleaner that's tint safe. I use Stoner Auto Glass Cleaner. The only problem (to me) is that it's not as strong as Windex. I use Stoner on the tinted windows and windex on the front. Some windows you don't need to clean religiously. The rear hatch (for wagons) or rear window (for sedans) or the little windows. The big windows are the most dirty prone.

I use pledge. Works awesome and is what you are suppose to use when you first get your tints and let them cure for a few days. I

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

looking in also depends on the interior color.

if your interior is black expect it to look like 20% on my taupe. (if that makes sense?)

i have the taupe interior with 35% sides and rear. with the 35% there's less of a shade difference between the side and the front.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/423426/beast3.jpg

god damn, my car looks good! :D

Pledge? Never heard of that one. Most of the places here just remind you to not roll down your windows for a couple days. For my last couple cars, I purposely try to find the sunniest spot with 0 shade.

Cook at 100 degrees for 2 days, enjoy. =).

Nice outback. The wheels are supa-clean.

Pledge? Never heard of that one. Most of the places here just remind you to not roll down your windows for a couple days. For my last couple cars, I purposely try to find the sunniest spot with 0 shade.

Cook at 100 degrees for 2 days, enjoy. =).

Nice outback. The wheels are supa-clean.

Pledge will not scratch the tint. You should not unroll the windows for 72hrs, but you must be careful when cleaning the windows for the next 30 days.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

I talked to Tint Plus (http://www.tintplus.com).

Basically, Limo tint is 8%

If you use a ceramic, you have 2 effective (for SoCal) tints: 15% and 35%

If you use a metalic, you have these 4 effictive tints: 18%,20%, 28% and 35%

At least using ForumlaOne tint films (http://www.formulaone.com).

I think 35% is to light. I want to use one tint on all windows, so I am thinking going with the 20% or 28%. The 28% is high quality/more expensive, but is not as fix-it-ticket-able as the 20%+

Archived