LegacyGT.com

5EAT Front LSD fitment test fund

ClimberDHexMods

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the NASIOC thread (for those of you that don't go over there):

OK. I'll check it out in the morning. And if there's not a way that I can make the 4EAT version fit, I can make a 5EAT version if there's enough demand. It's just a question of whether or not there's actually a market for it, and if people are willing to pay what Modena parts cost to make.

Subscribed to those other threads now.

That 4eat front LSD looks an awful lot like our 5eat front diff :)

I do not have the fun money budget to buy it and test fit, so that is up to someone else. Either way, a Modena 5eat FLSD would cost considerably less than what I was thinking of rigging up, and that is excellent news!!!

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

this looks very similar to the 5eat one

http://www.flatironstuning.com/p-2003-modena-front-tbd-for-the-02-07-wrx-4at-automatic.aspx

http://www.flatironstuning.com/images/Product/medium/2003.jpg

Oops you already said it. So since I'm not technically up on how this diff compares to a torsen, would it really give the optimal results, or would it be more of a partial improvement?

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

torsen is really a brand name. there are may types or torsens. this is a torque biasing diff so it will behave just like the JDM 5mt unit or any other helical front diff. if this fits in the 5eat, it is exactly what you guys are looking for.

torsen is really a brand name. there are may types or torsens. this is a torque biasing diff so it will behave just like the JDM 5mt unit or any other helical front diff. if this fits in the 5eat, it is exactly what you guys are looking for.

I'm supposed to be saving for a house, but when you put it like that... :spin:

Matt at the trans shop in Boulder received my 5eat open diff yesterday, and says it should be no problem to make a product for us.

• 1 month later...
They supposedly built a 5eat front LSD. And are yet to put it in a test car. All in their hands for timeline. I recently heard IPT would be seeing the unit for install pretty soon (coincidence).

• 5 months later...

I will eventually be dropping my trans (by myself) and--long story short--will be testing out a prototype front LSD for the 5eat soon. It requires professional installation AFAIK, which is why my front diff housing will be shipped off to Flatirons for the actual install.

I have never pulled a transmission by myself. I have seen engine pulls before, and those I get. I just want to be sure I don't run into any surprises when dropping the trans. I'll review the vacation pics of course before jumping into it.

well i couldnt give you input on dropping the trans as probally alittle different than my 5spd. But if close you have to ratchet strap the engine so it tilts backwards alittle when pulling the trans off it. Also theres enough space to take the axels just out of trans and not fully off, that should save you alittle time. My buddies and i dropped mine in my garge on jackstands took about 5hours with breaks and trying to pry some of the bolts off.

well i couldnt give you input on dropping the trans as probally alittle different than my 5spd. But if close you have to ratchet strap the engine so it tilts backwards alittle when pulling the trans off it. Also theres enough space to take the axels just out of trans and not fully off, that should save you alittle time. My buddies and i dropped mine in my garge on jackstands took about 5hours with breaks and trying to pry some of the bolts off.

Thanks for the tips! I'm probably going to buy an electric battery-powered 3/8" impact wrench to make it easier. Going to buy a Harbor Freight aluminum racing jack, and will try to balance the trans on it. Wish me luck.

harbor freight has some 25% off coupons for new years day only. There also always 20% coupons in the back of car and driver mags.

thanks!!!!!!!! :):):)

<--- Bitter.

Went to Harbor Freight with my 25% off coupon. /but I didn't read the fine print, which said NO JACKS. So I got a 1/2" breaker bar, 25% off :(

I'm a big believer in a store being free to do whatever it wants, so I just might have to bite the bullet on this $150 purchase. Anyone have a better idea?

Nevermind. Just ordered the same 1.5 ton aluminum jack, and transmission adapter, for $150 total, available for pickup at a local NORTHERN TOOL STORE. Dallas FTW.

Archived