LegacyGT.com

5EAT Front LSD fitment test fund

ClimberDHexMods

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we are this far.... I wonder if some type of 'Phantom Grip' product would fit in the automatic diff? It looks to me that a lot of time and money would have to be spent to get a helical type manual diff in our cars, why not try to get a phantom grip in a diff that already works. I had one in my FWD Mirage and it made a world of difference! Yeah its not a true LSD, but it got rid of A LOT of wheel spin and the car handled totally different (for a fraction of the cost of a KAAZ). I think this would be the most cost affective and most reasonable route.

On the downside, Phantom Grip does not sell anything for a Legacy. But, there is a good chance another unit can be purchased and machined to fit. All that a phantom grip consists of is two metal plates and heavy duty springs that put pressure against the spider gears.

Measurements could be taken of the inside of the auto diff and someone could call Phantom Grip for technical info on what their closest product would be. I would be able to help with the phone calls and research but I would need all of the measurements from the auto diff.

.....Just a thought.

**EDIT**

Found a setup for the 1990 and up Subaru Legacy manual LSD. This may be very closest application that would fit the manual diff! Climber D, can you compare the inside of the diffs when you get a chance? http://store.phantomgrip.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=54&products_id=163

So you're saying the 5mt dif flange side is supposed to be on the passenger side of the housing? Because this can only work if the MT dif flange is on the driver side of the housing. To be clear, that configuration will run the front wheels in reverse?

im not sure which side its on to be honest. i just looks like from the pic, in order to have the 5mt diff lin up with the pinion ont he at, it would have to be flipped around which would cause it to turn in the wrong direction.

regardless, the diff in the AT is the complete different shape and position. i dont see this woring out well. you are better off having quaife or another diff compnay make somthing that will be a bolt in fit.

Since we are this far.... I wonder if some type of 'Phantom Grip' product would fit in the automatic diff? It looks to me that a lot of time and money would have to be spent to get a helical type manual diff in our cars, why not try to get a phantom grip in a diff that already works. I had one in my FWD Mirage and it made a world of difference! Yeah its not a true LSD, but it got rid of A LOT of wheel spin and the car handled totally different (for a fraction of the cost of a KAAZ). I think this would be the most cost affective and most reasonable route.

On the downside, Phantom Grip does not sell anything for a Legacy. But, there is a good chance another unit can be purchased and machined to fit. All that a phantom grip consists of is two metal plates and heavy duty springs that put pressure against the spider gears.

Measurements could be taken of the inside of the auto diff and someone could call Phantom Grip for technical info on what their closest product would be. I would be able to help with the phone calls and research but I would need all of the measurements from the auto diff.

.....Just a thought.

**EDIT**

Found a setup for the 1990 and up Subaru Legacy manual LSD. This may be very closest application that would fit the manual diff! Climber D, can you compare the inside of the diffs when you get a chance? http://store.phantomgrip.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=54&products_id=163

I'm afraid I don't know anything about Phantom Grip products. But if it can work, great.

I'm at least a year from investing in a front LSD of my own, if ever, so someone else would have to take the plunge on investing in one. I just don't have the extra spending cash in the fun budget. I was happy to test the MT diff because I had the means to do so.

I'm going to take another look at it tonight.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

i was just thinking...

can you make a ring gear with a sleeve(pic below)? if space/clearance allows, then the problem you would run into is lubrication for the gears

if you can get the ring gear machined the our pinion, then youll just need to pay for machining of a ring gear, but itll cost $$$ few hundreds

take apart the 5eat diff so we can see how it works :) then weld the diff for a full locking diff :) have fun turning!!

well the ring gear wouldnt go throught the diff like in the pic:lol:

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt49/underground000/IMG_0319.jpg?t=1271542410

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

Though it may look simple to make tha spacer for the 5mt open diff in the pic, the overall purpose of this whole operation is to put a 5mt LSD in the 5EAT. the LSD bodys are shapped differently than the open diffs, so the spacer would have to be made to the LSD you intend to put in. the spacer idea is an interesting concept if the trans case has the clearance for it.

so, for climberD here are, in my mind anyways, the steps to see if this swap can work.

1-put the 2 bearings from the AT diff ont he 5mt diff and see if it fits in the case.

if it does..

2. see if you can put the ring gear from the AT diff on to the 5mt diff( i know it wont make contact with the pinion, thats what the spacer will fix and will be one of the custom parts you will need. you just want to see if the AT ring gear fits around the 5mt diff housing

3. if the diff fits in the case, with at axle seals in place. see if the AT axles will fit in to the trans/dff and lock in place with the seals locating on the right spots on the axle stubs. If not try 5mt axles.

now if this all is good then all you need is that custom ring gear spacer to work. if the trans/diff housing needs any more than a very very minor gringing to fit all this, then this project is bust. you dont want to be weakening the trans case or you will break somthing when on the road.

I am again very confident this can work!!! That is because--correct me if I am wrong--my parts list shows the front axles are the same for AT and MT. By visual comparison, the diffs are the same length.

whitetiger, I will swap over the bearings and reinstall and see what that tells us. It's gonna be snug between the diff flange. But this really CAN work so far.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I am again very confident this can work!!! That is because--correct me if I am wrong--my parts list shows the front axles are the same for AT and MT. By visual comparison, the diffs are the same length.

whitetiger, I will swap over the bearings and reinstall and see what that tells us. It's gonna be snug between the diff flange. But this really CAN work so far.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/duluoz_01/imsohappy.gif

• 4 weeks later...

There might still be hope if the 5EAT front diff is the same as the 4EAT as I just got this on NASIOC:

Do the 4EAT and 5EAT use the same front differential? I can help you get your hands on one for the 4EAT.

I'll check with my local dealer tomorrow and see if the part number is the same for both gearboxes. Or maybe someone will know the answer.

I'm encouraged that this can be achieved without grinding of the trans case, and with a little bit of extra work/cost. There are definately some details that will have to be worked out and trial and error will be abundant, but I think it could be done.

The 4EAT LSD might be an option as well depending on fitament/size. What are the key differences between the 6MT LSD and the 5EAT diff??? That might be another route to explore.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

the 6mt diff looks like the 5mt diff. you will run in to the same issues.

I've heard the 6MT LSD wont work in the 5MT, but havent heard why (if they look the same)... Which is why I wonder how much different they are/or arent, for fitament in all trannys...

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

This would be nice to know. Even if the 6mt diff's flange is a hair more centered, it would be better.

Once executor485 and I get my car running we will have the opportunity to drop in the 5mt diff into the spare trans and see if it rubs with the bearings and everything on it. But either way I am pretty sure you just need a machined spacer and the diff's flange countersunk, and some longer flat head bolts, and you're golden. Trouble is, someone will have to make that big investment to get the first one rolling, and that's not going to be me anytime soon. My fun money goes to power for now.

Modena made it. Have to see if they still do or if they can make it again.

Warning, old thread:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218704&page=2

You sending them an email?

i wonder how much more stress will be put on the 5eat trans when the front diff locks and your accel hard in a turn? didnt they have problems with 2nd gear stripping in the manual?

well...time for full ipt transmission

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

Archived