LegacyGT.com

5EAT Front LSD fitment test fund

ClimberDHexMods

5EAT'ers,

Update:

I am getting (free donation!) a stock front differential that 05Boost pulled from his Legacy GT manual, to see if it fits in my spare 5EAT. This means there will be one way shipping of just $21 to pay for.

If you would like to contribute to the $21 shipping cost, please Paypal payment of any amount to dhettena (at) gmail (dot) com.

I will update this thread with who donated and what amount they donated. Please include your forum name and note if you want either part to be kept anonymous (you never know).

When I get the manual front differential and my e-torz wrench set arrives, I will pull apart my spare 5EAT and report whether the manual differential fits in the 5EAT.

Thank you,

David

The list of people who have contributed financially (THANK YOU!)

1. Wang Lung $11
  2. sic GT $10
  3. UTC_Pyro $5
  4. Underdog $5

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pic 1 & 2 front diff housing (between engine and trans main case)

pic 3 where you split the front dif case after removing bolts and E20 bolts on bottom of case

pic 4 the dif!

pic 5, 6, 7, 8 twist off these round things that hold the journal bearings. Like a massive screw. Probably requires a special tool, but we used the hammer/chisel method.

pic 9, 10 front difs (MT left, AT right)

Pic 9 is the one to look at. I realize now studs put in the MT diff won't work. Flat head bolts could be counter sunk in, and a special spacer could be machined.

So basically, one would need:

Special flat head bolts

Special spacer machined to space MT diff flange from AT gear location

Countersinking MT dif flange for flat head bolts

Possible grinding on the passenger side (MT differential's flanged side) of the inside of the dif case.

IMG_0306.JPG.97ccb5bc3927d06f17be464ac08cacdf.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG.d0dac2ad12c878a431dd20bb39ff4a4f.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG.b168b40419f10561c5e3fe11c8e79843.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG.4874ebb75714834a9195c669bab09367.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG.04359c4aed8130583e19537b0864ac14.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG.f2c0890e0eecb2a0ec107c9681f42b09.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG.66f34b23abde65115800524fc2bf8ede.JPG

IMG_0317.JPG.31cbe7c36c7b9883d10489d13eda5b9d.JPG

IMG_0319.JPG.13c978a39395a93d64a7ad0b1fe0a9f5.JPG

IMG_0320.JPG.15e9b5abeac46a16fe299e76b6596e15.JPG

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

The 5EAT for one has the diff separated from the tranny as to not share fluids for obvious reasons. Mechanically, methinks they are different and won't match (that's what I've been told) but nobody has been able to tell me if they actually tried to fit one up or why they aren't interchangeable, so in for results.

The 5EAT for one has the diff separated from the tranny as to not share fluids for obvious reasons. Mechanically, methinks they are different and won't match (that's what I've been told) but nobody has been able to tell me if they actually tried to fit one up or why they aren't interchangeable, so in for results.

Just looking at the 5eat and 5mt and where the center diff and associated shafts are located, I think it is possible that they could work. My only hesitation is Jatco built the unit. We will find out soon enough hopefully.

well its not a front lsd but i have a front open diff that i could ship you from when i installed my front hlsd. but if the open diff fits im sure the hlsd would fit. let me know bc then you wouldnt have to pay shippin back to me as i dont want it back

That's what the test is going to be on, a stock open diff out of a 5mt. Might save ClimberD some hassle there.

I looked into if this has been done on the 4EAT, and there are mixed reports. Apparentally is possible, but no one really goes into the required process (it isn't a 100% direct fit). There is talk that a front LSD from the STi SpecA (or whatever the 5eat wrx sti is) will work in their app, so that may be the end cource for everyone.

ClimberD should be able to get us some idea on what would be required even if it does not quite "work" out of the box.

Underdog has requested I take pictures and document the teardown and install, so I will do that best I can. That's free of charge :)

well its not a front lsd but i have a front open diff that i could ship you from when i installed my front hlsd. but if the open diff fits im sure the hlsd would fit. let me know bc then you wouldnt have to pay shippin back to me as i dont want it back

I would love to take you up on that offer. PM'ing :)

That's what the test is going to be on, a stock open diff out of a 5mt. Might save ClimberD some hassle there.

I looked into if this has been done on the 4EAT, and there are mixed reports. Apparentally is possible, but no one really goes into the required process (it isn't a 100% direct fit). There is talk that a front LSD from the STi SpecA (or whatever the 5eat wrx sti is) will work in their app, so that may be the end cource for everyone.

ClimberD should be able to get us some idea on what would be required even if it does not quite "work" out of the box.

I like the adventure and challenge of figuring out stuff like this, and I see huge value in installing a front LSD into our cars, so I really want to find an answer or work with others toward a solution. Heck, I already bought a spare 5eat, so why not make use of it.

Helical front and rear :wub:

pm'd ya back.

You guys will love it if this works out. I just did my first autox with it and the car was amazing. with all season tires and it being my first time out i finished 8th out of 13 off by 6seconds from leader (61.1 me vs 55.7 1st place). I know that sounds like a lot over a 50-60sec race but my all-seasons are really bad and a guy on here in the d-stock ran with hoosiers and did a 58.7.

Thanks to the graciousness of 05Boost supplying the front diff for the test fit, the fundraising goal is only $21.00!

We are $10 there already so we only need $11 more!

I really appreciate you guys helping out. Even though these are small amounts, every little bit really helps.

It's a little late in this string to bring this up, but why would anyone want to turn an AT-equipped vehicle into an autocross or track car?

Leonardo, I think this question is aimed at you.

I believe he won the Central Florida Region, State championships in SoloX ESP Class, in his 5eat.

It's a little late in this string to bring this up, but why would anyone want to turn an AT-equipped vehicle into an autocross or track car?

EDIT:Thanks Rick! :lol:

I already took the regional and state last year in ESP with my auto wagon. Why you ask? mine is paid off and I'm not about to get into another account now and no one selling a 5MT wagon wants to trade for a 5EAT one so where does this leave me? With a working wagon that I can kick some ass on the weekends.

Plus its not the racing part, it's about making the car safer if an emergency maneuver is needed. ;):p

With that said, sending donation soon!

EDIT:Thanks Rick! :lol:

I already took the regional and state last year in ESP with my auto wagon. Why you ask? mine is paid off and I'm not about to get into another account now and no one selling a 5MT wagon wants to trade for a 5EAT one so where does this leave me? With a working wagon that I can kick some ass on the weekends.

Plus its not the racing part, it's about making the car safer if an emergency maneuver is needed. ;):p

With that said, sending donation soon!

OK, good work. I hereby eat my words. BTW, how fast do you get going in the events you run? Much changing of gears involved?

awesome! excited for you guys to find out new information. I wish i would have gotten to test out the FHLSD in the snow but was having trouble with car. Warm weather handling is great though!

Archived