LegacyGT.com

What do you guys make of this? (5EAT)

I'm driving tonight, and it's pulling like an animal in drive mode and really roaring like a beast. The temperature is 48 degrees. I got to a traffic light and threw it into sport and when it turned green I slowly floored it, but it really lagged. It took a good 4-5 seconds before it really kicked in and grabbed and starting to pull. Could it be that I flooded it at first? It felt more responsive on my short drive in "Drive" than in "Sport." Wierd. It really sounded alive in "Drive" tonight, which I found surprising - it was really putting out a throaty roar in standard "Drive" mode, but seemed to be less aggressive in "Sport." I found that strange, what do you guys think?

- Mike

... threw it into sport and when it turned green I slowly floored it, but it really lagged. It took a good 4-5 seconds before it really kicked in and grabbed and starting to pull. ...

- Mike

Computers, got love them, got to hate them. What happened (IMHO) is that you tipped in too slow with the acc pedal.

The software looks for rapid movements to determine shift point and torque converter pressure. If you go into it slow, it assumes you want a soft launch.

A more abrupt tip-in will signal your intentions.

What I do is flip to sport before I come to a full stop to ensure it downshifts into 1st before the launch. Sometimes, if you slow down in Drive, then flip to Sport, the tranny might still be in 2nd.

As you noted, even in Drive it will switch to a more aggressive map if it sees you being lively with the pedals. The secret to a good launch is to stop while in Sport, lightly pre-load with a bit of gas before you release the brakes, and hit the throttle firmly when ready to go.

I have to say, the program for Sport mode acceleration is magical, once it engages, it's pure auto-pilot of the best shifting (and engine management) I've ever seen. And it sounds great while it does it. Even blips the throttle during the upshift :)

Guest JessterCPA
If you want a better response, trade in for a stick.

;-)

You obviously do not drive in the New York Metro area. My clutch leg needs cartilage replacement surgery. J/K, but not too far off. :lol:

Jesse

If you want a better response, trade in for a stick.

;-)

I'm very happy with the auto in my LGT, it's just lastnight the lag was something I haven't really seen much of. It was floored and it a roaring, but it was like "one-onethousand, two-twothousand.... five-fivethousand...." then the turbo finally kicked in. Which is highly unusual for the 5EAT. Maybe it's how I applied the throttle, because the car felt very alive in "Drive."

- Mike

I have to say, the program for Sport mode acceleration is magical, once it engages, it's pure auto-pilot of the best shifting (and engine management) I've ever seen. And it sounds great while it does it. Even blips the throttle during the upshift :)

Totally agree. While there will always be better manual drivers out there, I'll bet Sport mode consistently beats the majority of stick drivers for acceleration and smoothness. I've been a stick driver all my life and the 5EAT manages to put a grin on my face.

Ken

Ok, I went on a long trip today and noticed that it must've been quirky lastnight. The sport mode, when it engages, helps make the car accelerate like a rocket - I was on a road where the spd limit was 65 and came up to someone doing 40, I switched into the left in sport mode and in a blink of an eye it rocketed up almost double.

This car really moves, but as TLS said, there are those rare quirky moments when the car goes limp on you. 99% of the time has me say "WOW!!!!!" when it takes off like a fighter jet.

- Mike

were you in hackensack today?

i saw a blue leggy with yorky plates.

I took Rt 440 to I-287 to exit 14B to RT 202 to Rt 31 then into Pa to Doylestown (where I saw 2 05 Legacy's and 2 05 Outbacks in that town alone - three of them were atlantic blue and the OB was beige)

- Mike

I found that it doesn't like to be floored sometimes, but if you give it part throttle (1/2-3/4 throttle) it feels like it's barrelling down a runway about to take off.

then chances are it's injector flood just like the wrx.

also try progressive 2/3 thottle, get going, then to the floor.

What a secret...the EATs are faster off the line ? It shattered my world. But anyways this happens for the 1st second only...

I too fear that knee and ankle replacement surgery is in my left leg's future...Metro Chicago traffic is not suited for manual trannys.

Archived