LegacyGT.com

Learning about tuning?

RJS5689

I am getting ready to have Infamous1 make me a Stage 2 map for my car. I want to learn more about data logging and numbers though. I understand boost targets, issues like boost creep and boost spike, but there is still a lot I don't understand like timing, wastegate duty cycles and many other important parameters. Where can I read up on these types of things to get a better understanding of what they are. I want to be able to understand the datalogs I send to my tuner, not just look at Excel spreadsheets with numbers I don't fully understand. I want to be able to detect issues like knock and any other problem I could run into down the line. I guess you could say I'm a complete noob to the Subaru tuning world. This stuff is very different from how we did it with VW/Audi.

So I assume you are familliar with engine managemnt. If not I'd start with this [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Management-Advanced-Greg-Banish/dp/1932494421]Amazon.com: Engine Management: Advanced Tuning (9781932494426): Greg Banish:[/ame]. If you are try the tuning faq on romraider.com.

I suggest reading this book before the Banish book that black318i linked to:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Modify-Management-Systems-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0760315825/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-5210105-7235902?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177224074&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems (Motorbooks Workshop) (9780760315828): Jeff Hartman: Books[/ame]

The Banish book assumes some familiarity with engine managment (it's titled "advanced tuning") whereas the Hartman book starts from first principles.

I read both of them and I think the Banish book is much better even for someone who knows nothing about engine management. It does include some pretty advanced stuff even a little in the beginning, but there are a lot of basics as well. Chapter four thoroughly goes over every sensors function. Chapter two even includes an overview of how engines work.

Wait, do you have an accessport, or are you going to use romraider?

If you're using romraider go to their website: www.romraider.com also download learning view. It's also on their website.

You'll also need a Tactrix cable (I think around $150 or so?, someone correct me if I'm wrong), if you're going the opensourse method.

Wait, do you have an accessport, or are you going to use romraider?

If you're using romraider go to their website: www.romraider.com also download learning view. It's also on their website.

You'll also need a Tactrix cable (I think around $150 or so?, someone correct me if I'm wrong), if you're going the opensourse method.

AP or RR both use the OEM ECU and just manipulate the same tables. So (except for the odd difference in table naming) they are the same.

AP or RR both use the OEM ECU and just manipulate the same tables. So (except for the odd difference in table naming) they are the same.

Right, I was just wondering if owned an AP or was planning on OST, because if the price difference. I personally think he should go with OS, if he doesn't already have the AP. But, everyone has their preference. Which method do you prefer? I went OS because the cable was only $15 (05-06 LGT's) and there is a lot of help here and RR's website.

Right, I was just wondering if owned an AP or was planning on OST, because if the price difference. I personally think he should go with OS, if he doesn't already have the AP. But, everyone has their preference. Which method do you prefer? I went OS because the cable was only $15 (05-06 LGT's) and there is a lot of help here and RR's website.

Too long to answer that question. In the end it depends on soo many things. Real time tuning is nice, until recently RR had more tables (COBB has recently caught up in the ROMs I have looked it).

Too long to answer that question. In the end it depends on soo many things. Real time tuning is nice, until recently RR had more tables (COBB has recently caught up in the ROMs I have looked it).

I see. I'm still pretty new at tuning, but I've found it, at least with my modest mods, that it's pretty easy to do the basics. I log quite often and check up on my LV at least 4-5 times a week. Quick question for you. I am only hitting about 15psi manifold relative pressure, but I'm set up to peak at 17psi. Haven't found any leaks, checked quite a few times, and am running about 85% max in my WGDC. I'm at about 4,500ft, so I know the turbo is not as effeciant as at sea level. Am I maxing out at 15psi, because of my altitude? My ATM pressure is around 12.62. I only have an sti up and first cat gutted. I'm planning on deleting the third, once it warms up a bit. My tune appears to be very safe right now. no knock on WOT pulls or freeway/normal driving. So, to make a long story shorter...should I adjust my boost tables lower to the numbers I'm hitting in my logs? I would gladly lower boost if I'm beyond what the VF-40 can handle at my altitude. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

One more question. If I do lower my boost tables, should I increase WGDC a bit? Like I said I'm already up to 85%.

I see. I'm still pretty new at tuning, but I've found it, at least with my modest mods, that it's pretty easy to do the basics. I log quite often and check up on my LV at least 4-5 times a week. Quick question for you. I am only hitting about 15psi manifold relative pressure, but I'm set up to peak at 17psi. Haven't found any leaks, checked quite a few times, and am running about 85% max in my WGDC. I'm at about 4,500ft, so I know the turbo is not as effeciant as at sea level. Am I maxing out at 15psi, because of my altitude? My ATM pressure is around 12.62. I only have an sti up and first cat gutted. I'm planning on deleting the third, once it warms up a bit. My tune appears to be very safe right now. no knock on WOT pulls or freeway/normal driving. So, to make a long story shorter...should I adjust my boost tables lower to the numbers I'm hitting in my logs? I would gladly lower boost if I'm beyond what the VF-40 can handle at my altitude. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

One more question. If I do lower my boost tables, should I increase WGDC a bit? Like I said I'm already up to 85%.

I am not a VF40 expert tuner. Anything over about 70% WGDC and boost will not rise if you raise it higher.

Maybe someone else who has tuned a VF40 at your altitude would know better.

You can always run a smaller restrictor pill or 3-port solenoid if you do want more boost.

Yeah, I thought about doing the smaller pill, but I'm not sure if I want to. Thanks for the help. Maybe I'll lower my WGDC a bit and try lowering boost a little and adding a little timing. I don't want to put any exrta stress on my turbo.

I do own an AP, but I am having a custom tune made by Infamous1 for use in my AP. The reason I want to learn about tuning is so I can understand datalogs and what different values mean. Who knows, maybe I'll get into modifying my tune myself one day, but I don't see that anytime soon.

I am trying to get a straight answer. I have a 2008 5EAT, can I use the Tactrix cable with opensource tune option, or is AP my only option? Looking at the site it says I am not supported. When I look at some posts it says it works, but I look at others and it says I can only do logging. Someone know for sure?

The only way to know for sure is to pull the ROM and see if EcuFlash or RomRaider recognizes it. There is at least one supported ROM for the USDM 08 5EAT Legacy GT.

If your car uses that ROM, then you're set.

If your car uses a similar ROM, then you might be able to re-use an existing definition.

If your car uses a slightly different ROM, then you might be able to get one of the people at RomRaider who are interested in reverse-engineering to come up with a definition for your specific ROM.

If your car uses a very different ROM, then you're probably SOL. The guy who did most of the work on the ROM definitions is no longer cranking them out.

I suggest asking in the local forum if anyone in/near Portland has an OpenPort 2.0 and would be willing to pull your ROM and see if it's supported. It's not difficult to do, and there is no other way to get a definite answer. I think the odds are in your favor.

Archived