LegacyGT.com

Experiencing crazy-levels of wind noise from open sunroof?

Since I got my OBXTL in Aug '04, my only 'real' complaint is noise from the sunroof when open. Regardless of its position, the wind noise when driving 45 MPH or above is damn-near unbearable. I've done a variety of tests by opening the front, and/or rear windows and the sunroof in varying degrees hoping to find some combination which allieviates it a little, but it seems this is occurring as a result of the shape/design of the wind deflector-portion of the sunroof.

Has anyone tried mounting an OEM wind deflector from either an older OB model, or an '05 LGT? Not sure if this would help, or make it worse, but there's gotta' be something which can be done.

It's torture having such a beautiful, giant sunroof like this, and not being able to use it except on back roads 'cause it makes me go deaf...I can't hear the stereo no matter how loud I turn it up, or even have a conversation with a passenger it's so freakin' loud.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas??

Thanks!

Tim G.

'05 OBXTL-5MT

Sunroofs in general are quite noisy. I would say my 05 OB sunroof is just slightly noisier than my old Mazda 626 sunroof (but the sunroof in my OB is twice as large). I wouldn't say it was unbearable though. I guess it is a personal opinion.

Beware of sunroof deflectors. Some make the sunroof noise louder (this happened on my 01 Mazda 626 - I had to take it off after a few months). Also, I don't use sunroof deflectors anymore because if they move or vibrate at all, it will permanently mark the paint. If you take off the deflector, you have a nice curved mark where it touched the paint. My past car had this mark and it was through the clear coat in sections and could not be removed without having the roof repainted. I just lived with the mark and told myself never to use a sunroof deflector in any other car. Maybe the Subaru one is better, but I won't take that chance.

-S

According to the service manual, there is a procedure to adjust the roof panel to reduce wind noise.. I only personally notice it with the panel completely retracted (3 clicks) and all the windows closed. There's a loud, low, oscillating buffeting sound. Open a window or don't retract the panel completely and there's no buffeting sound..

From what I have seen of deflectors, they would be completely useless with a 2 piece design like the LGT wagon and OBXT. Most are too small, and I don't know how you would secure the clips since the panel stays in place.

Take it to the dealer and tell them to adjust it. If they don't know how, tell them the shimming procedure is on page SR-6 of the factory service manual..

According to the service manual, there is a procedure to adjust the roof panel to reduce wind noise.. I only personally notice it with the panel completely retracted (3 clicks) and all the windows closed. There's a loud, low, oscillating buffeting sound. Open a window or don't retract the panel completely and there's no buffeting sound..

From what I have seen of deflectors, they would be completely useless with a 2 piece design like the LGT wagon and OBXT. Most are too small, and I don't know how you would secure the clips since the panel stays in place.

Take it to the dealer and tell them to adjust it. If they don't know how, tell them the shimming procedure is on page SR-6 of the factory service manual..

...that's good to know. From your comments about this adjustment, and the fact you do get that buffeting noise (which I don't get), it sounds like my deflector may be too 'dialed-up'. I know the buffeting noise you speak of (I've had it in past cars) is 'turbulence' caused by the impact of the vehicle's outer airstream routing into the cabin and having nowhere to go. The fact I don't get this, but do have excess wind noise at the deflector itself tells me it's angle is too abrupt. I'll gladly take a little buffeting instead of what I've got!

Many thanks - appreciate the feedback!

Tim G.

do you think it has anything to do with the position of the roof rack crossbar? Have you tried either removing it or shifting the position of the bar?

...so I'm pretty sure that's not the cause. In fact, my front crossbar is actually behind the rear-most part of the sunroof:

http://home.earthlink.net/~timo1745/_images/subie_images/new%20subie%20pics%20017_small.jpg

Good thought tho! ;)

Tim G.

Just so you know, the fact that the cross bar is behind the sunroof doesn't man anything.

Unless you are above the speed of sound, (D@MN Subaru and their speed governors) the cross bar can have its merry effect all the way up to the front end of the car. Try removing both cross bars and see if there is noise. It could be the vortex shedding off the deflector interacting with the cross bar...

Ted

:spin:

Just so you know, the fact that the cross bar is behind the sunroof doesn't man anything.

Unless you are above the speed of sound, (D@MN Subaru and their speed governors) the cross bar can have its merry effect all the way up to the front end of the car. Try removing both cross bars and see if there is noise. It could be the vortex shedding off the deflector interacting with the cross bar...

Ted

...see if I notice any change. Now if only I had my own aerodynamics testing lab complete with wind tunnel ;)

Thanks,

Tim

For a paltry sum (my guess would be > $10,000) you can get some software to test this on your computer, that is what I do for a living. (actually, I write the code to calculate what happens, somebody else makes it into a pretty program...) It would take a bit of work creating an "Outback model," but once you did it the possibilities would be pretty cool! :)

Let us know if that helps. If it does, let me think for a while on ways to have your roof open and the cross bar in place...

Ted

:spin:

Don't know how the OB crossbars are designed, but the factory bars for the LGT (square bars) have a track below the bar to allow for different adjustment widths. That track is filled by a plastic insert that needs to be cut to the correct width. Just a thought that when the roof is open, the wind is possibly deflected in a way that causes more noise.

Good luck,

Anthony

Archived