LegacyGT.com

EZ30R-powered GC4

That's right, folks....I'm stealing your engine. ;) But seriously, I have bought a JDM-spec EZ30R and will be putting it into my 2000 Impreza L. Right now the likely course will be getting an 05 H6 ECU and wiring harness to put into my car. I know there isn't currently much of an aftermarket for the H6, but I've heard rumors of an Ecutek reflash in the works. If so, I will be getting my ECU reflashed and tuned.

As far as exhaust, I will most likely use the stock exhaust manifold (if it will fit) and then a custom header-back exhaust will be made at the shop that I'm doing the swap in.

With stock ECU and custom exhaust, it will be quiet nice in my lighter Impreza (~2800lbs). I will try and keep the updates coming for those interested.

Mick (Slack on Nasioc)

Yeah, it was $1599 shipped. It is a complete longblock minus wiring harness, ecu, alternator, ac pump, and ps pump. I should be able to use the alt/ac/ps from my car, but we'll have to see. There is a legacy owner up in Minnisota that bought the other longblock (they had 2).

Mick

That really looks interesting. Will you match it to the stock Impreza tranny ?

Don't know about the gearing, but if the european Legacy 3.0R Spec. B gets from 0-100 kmh in ~6.6 seconds, this is engine transplant seems promising.

Cool stuff. Should be fun when you're done with it. There's a guy locally who has stuffed an SVX motor into an older Impreza (can't remember if it was a GC or GM). The engine and relocated radiator are done but I don't think the wiring is.

That really looks interesting. Will you match it to the stock Impreza tranny ?

Don't know about the gearing, but if the european Legacy 3.0R Spec. B gets from 0-100 kmh in ~6.6 seconds, this is engine transplant seems promising.

Yes, it will mate up to my transmission. We checked it against a spare EJ22 we have in the shop and the dowels are in the same spots. I love subaru's..they're almost like legos. I will be taking it easy on my transmission (120k miles) and making it last until I have the funds for an upgrade.

Mick

Holy crap your car now has 120k on it! It's a fun car last time I drove it but I'm sure it'll be a beast now! Mick, I'm just wondering, do you know the difference between the EZ30R and your EJ22 for weight comparison? Guessing your suspension may need to be tweaked slighty with the few extra lbs.

I've been meaning to PM you about your project since I saw a mention in MW over on the cookie. Sounds like it'll be one V nice swap. Yeah, it definitely sounds like the current exhaust headers are the thing to use as they're fairly optimal, are you going to use a cat in the system?

So much for your ideas of doing a turbo swap with FMIC in that car. :lol:

Cheers,

Seth

Yeah, I couldn't pass up a good deal. Plus, I think this will be more of a sleeper since there won't even be a FMIC. More pics, btw:

Top shot (crappy, I know)

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wODY0NjgxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Engine model stamp:

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wODY0NjgyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Wiring harness connectors (all sensors are there and hooked up):

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wODY0NjgzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Passenger side head shot (motor mount and oil filter, too)

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wODY0Njg0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Driver side head:

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wODY0Njg1NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

And...

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wODY3MTU5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Did you just run out and take that shot for me? :lol:

Yeah, it will definitely be a sleeper. I'm rather interested in seeing what you can massage out of that engine. My guess is a decent intake setup and the header-back exhaust should get a little bit more, but indeed better if you can get the ECU tuned. Won't be as capable as a turbo engine of course, but if it can be retuned to take advantage of what you do have, then all the better. :)

Holy crap your car now has 120k on it! It's a fun car last time I drove it but I'm sure it'll be a beast now! Mick, I'm just wondering, do you know the difference between the EZ30R and your EJ22 for weight comparison? Guessing your suspension may need to be tweaked slighty with the few extra lbs.

I've been meaning to PM you about your project since I saw a mention in MW over on the cookie. Sounds like it'll be one V nice swap. Yeah, it definitely sounds like the current exhaust headers are the thing to use as they're fairly optimal, are you going to use a cat in the system?

So much for your ideas of doing a turbo swap with FMIC in that car. :lol:

Cheers,

Seth

The EZ30 doesn't weigh all that much, believe it or not. We guess it is ~300lbs. We will be weighing it just to prove that it isn't going to totally destroy the weight balance of the car. It is surprisingly compact and doesn't look all that much bigger than a EJ series engine.

Mick

You're right about the length, not much longer than an EJ engine, IIRC something like .7" or something, though it might be 2-something inches, have to look it up, have it written somewhere. Nowheres near as long as an EG33 from the SVX though!

The EZ30 engine is only .7 inches longer than the EJs, mostly all of which comes from the narrow enclosed steel timing chain versus the EJ's wider timing belt and more expansive belt cover.

Talked to the local regional tech and he says that he has yet to see any EZ30 come in for any kind of repairs. He noted that they are "solid and bulletproof".

For your project it will depend on how you tune the ECU and the air flow in and out. Heads may need to be reworked a bit for what you have in mind but it will be one sleeper out of the box.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

One of the techs up here was whining about the old EZ a little bit, but I don't think it was major, mostly about doing regular maintainence on them because it is a slightly larger block in length and width, not sure about depth. And yup, that is indeed where they are able to take the room back, plus they use smaller pistons than the EJ20's as well in bore as well as closer cylinder spacing. Just a few comparisons:

EJ20:92mm bore x 75mm stroke, 21mm between cylinders

EJ25:99.5mm x 79mm, 13.5mm

EZ30:89.2mm x 80mm, 9.2mm

So there is where you get some of the length back, less bore, less distance between cylinders, and yup, the big one being the timing chain versus belt setup. I think they used a chain a while back (or at least some mfgs have) but haven't used it for a bit because it was noisy, though they are using it again as they apparently figured out how to properly dampen it and design a quieter setup and it allows for the better clearances (don't know if an EZ30 would have the right amount of clearance if they hadn't used it.)

One nice bonus to the EZ30R is the 10.7:1CR over the 10.0:1 in the EJ25 N/A engines.

If you get the ability at some point to rework the heads and perhaps have new cams ground you'd really have the ability to have a screamer there Mick! But off the bat it definitely won't be a slouch either.

(Okay, I've got a little infatuation with N/A motors even though I've got a turbo one. :D)

:lol:

It seems like everyone has bigger plans for my engine than I do. I'll be happy with my dual exhaust, custom intake, and tuned ecu. I'm shooting for about 275hp with that setup, but I'll have to see how it goes. I just can't wait to get it running! :)

Mick

hehe, just haven't seen too many H6's beyond stock, so would be rather interesting. I don't think 275 is too lofty since a decent exhaust and intake and especially tuning it shouldn't have any problems getting to that mark. And actually, weightwise, should be close to a dressed out turbo 2.0 or turbo 2.5 considering you don't have that IC, turbo, and extra plumbing, etc to deal with. :)

Sure is strange to see three exhaust ports per side... and good to know you've got an oil cooler assigned to handle that side of the cooling equation. Good looking used engine overall. Should make a nice drop in for you ride. Good luck with the electronics and keep us posted on your progress.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I've got a similar project going for my BE(the correct car;) )

check it out if you want.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748513

Not meaning to Hijack or take away from Mick, didnt feel my car merited its own thread right next to this one about the EZ30R.

Mick's car will be sweet once its all done.

Ben

Sure is strange to see three exhaust ports per side... and good to know you've got an oil cooler assigned to handle that side of the cooling equation. Good looking used engine overall. Should make a nice drop in for you ride. Good luck with the electronics and keep us posted on your progress.

SBT

I didn't know that I had an oil cooler?? :confused: Are you saying that I should get one? And also, the engine is brand new. The only carbon you see on there is from the factory testing. This engine was never even put into a chassis. :)

Mick

Anyone think we'll ever see an EZ30R equipped Legacy in the US that isn't a jacked up OB and more of a GT stance?

The 5 speed manual auto is nice, but I'd like a true manual 6 speed too! :D

Having owned an SVX... I really want a torquey H6 subaru again.... some day.

Archived