crrider80

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
Just talked to a mechanic here in Puerto Rico that has done the conversion a few times and tells me that the trans crossmember from the 5mt does bolt on without a hitch. Also the speedometer sensors are diferent. He is making me afloat of what he does to compare notes but tranny, driveshaft, rear diff, crossmember and pedal box/clutch reservoir are the main things.

It's been a while since I read this entire post so this might have been asked before.

Is a 5mt a 5mt? Meaning, is there any difference between a 5mt in a 2.5I, GT, OB, OBXT? I would guess that the 5mt across the entire Legacy platform is the same but I could be wrong.

Also, Is there a place I can look up and compare final drive ratios and gearing? Has anyone seen a thread that shows this in detail? Thanks

• 3 months later...
Wait, the auto in the outback has a higher final drive gear than the one in the GT?

Any way, bum ping for new info on a way around the error code. I might start saving parts to make this happen.

The only error code that you will see displayed will be a can bus comunication error. All other codes can be ignored using ecuflash or romraider.

I've been trying to source all the parts needed to change my speedometer cluster and get rid of the can bus error, but everyone wants in excess of over a grand for those parts. IMO not worth it, the car runs great as it is.

What parts do you need? I have seen a lot of part-outs lately!

I might start with the clutch line and cylinder.

Also, would switching the transmission crossmember from the auto to the manual work if I could fin one instead of modifying the auto one?

EDIT: Nevermind, found that it will not work. Will have to get another cross brace from a wrecked 5EAT and have it modified to minimize down time. We can then make that a floating brace for others tacking this project.

Edited by Leonardo

see attachment for conversion ... for can comunication ..

Were all the variations of this tried? Unplugging the harness from the TCU CAN Joint Connector and jumping them taking that part out of the electrical system? Might have something to do that in the manual car you don't have that in the lop at all and just the wire running from ABS Module to the ECM CAN Joint Connector.

Wonder how different is the actual harness. Would be worth just getting one to compare without needing to swap, just modify as needed.

What parts do you need? I have seen a lot of part-outs lately!

I might start with the clutch line and cylinder.

Also, would switching the transmission crossmember from the auto to the manual work if I could fin one instead of modifying the auto one?

EDIT: Nevermind, found that it will not work. Will have to get another cross brace from a wrecked 5EAT and have it modified to minimize down time. We can then make that a floating brace for others tacking this project.

I need the following from the same 05 or 06 LGT:

5mt gauge cluster

5mt ecu

ignition switch with key and key fob

key fob antenna inside steering column (I think)

All this to hopefully be able to use a manual gauge cluster, and get rid of that can bus error. To be completely honest I just don't think its worth it.

If anyone has an extra 5mt gauge cluster I would be interested in just trying to switch the face plates.

You can't just swap one gauge cluster for another because of the immobilizer. The gauge cluster, imobilizer, ignition switch, key, and ecu have to come from the same donor vehicle.

Can't you buy a Subaru service tech a case of beer and swap the cluster in the parking lot, then have him write a new code and see if it takes? When unclemat got hi different ECU, he just plugged it in in the parking lot and then dealer SSM set a new immobilizer code...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Can't you buy a Subaru service tech a case of beer and swap the cluster in the parking lot, then have him write a new code and see if it takes? When unclemat got hi different ECU, he just plugged it in in the parking lot and then dealer SSM set a new immobilizer code...

I guess you could. I don't know any of the service guys at my local Subaru stealership though. I've only taken my car there on one occasion to fix an axle leak I didn't have time to fix, and they wanted no part of it. Apparently my 5mt swapped car is an abomination. :lol: