LegacyGT.com

Another 5eat to 6mt/5mt swap questions. (05+ LGT) thread

crrider80

Leonardo,

Thanks for the links. I am on the fence as to which way to go. The 5 speeds are cheap and I can rebuild them here if I hurt one.

And then again, that Spec B setup you found is fairly rare. It would be perfect if it had the LSD front diff.

I am running a lightly built motor with a custom rotated Bullseye turbo setup so this is certainly the possibility of grenading the 5 speed.

Decisions, decisions.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are welcome!

3 grand difference, do the 5mt, as you still have to add the rest of the stuff like the clutch cylinder, pedal and the rest of the stuff that adds up and then, I'm pretty sure you will find another 6MT or use the STi ones.

My brother inlaw just did a 5speed swap on his svx(93) and used a wrx trany,,, somthing cool we found, we took the front trany mounts(body) off of a 98 forester they were sheetmetal parts with a nut insert in them that the trans crossmember bolts to. they matched the slope of the svx firewall perfectly and welded in place it looks almost factory... so if you do the 5 speed swap maybe find some oem body mounts from a manual car that will work that way it all bolts up.(sorry this may not apply to the leg ive not looked under a 5speed vs auto) but its worth a shot in the dark...

OK,

I am trying to pull the trigger to get this rolling. I have sourced a 5MT tranny out of an 08 LGT sedan. Problem number one: The rear diff is gone. I have found another one from an 05 but for some reason my parts locator is giving me a 4.11 ratio on the 05 and a 3.90 ratio for an 08? Can anyone verify this?

Also seems the front axles are the same for auto and manuals according to the locator.

I am having trouble finding a 3.90 rear with LSD to mate up to this 08 tranny. Someone already grabbed the set for sale on EBAY. This kind of stinks as this tranny is cherry with only 14K miles and I have access to all the other parts I might need to do the conversion. I would prefer the 3.90 over moving to an 05 tranny with the 4.11 rear.

I found a buyer for my IPT tranny, but yesterday when I went to purchase this setup http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...Q5fAccessories the auction had ended. I need to find a complete setup while I still have a buyer for my tranny. If anyone knows where I can find a complete setup please let me know.

ESP Dyno, I can't think of the name of the site, but I know there is one that you can enter the part you are looking for, and it will search a database of several salvage yards for you.

Hmmm, I am looking to do something similar Dave.

I want to put the helical JDM front diff in my 5MT and mate it to an R180 helical rear. Unfortunately, you can't put the 4.111 on the R180, so I would need to swap my front to 3.900 to match.

I am looking for an '04-'05 STi R180 which is 3.900 already, then I will just swap the clutch diff for a helical diff. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't checked my thread in a while and realized it has grown quite a bit. I'm glad to see some motivation as I've had none. I've been busy with school and my 200k+ auto has been holding 280whp fine for the past 5k miles.

EPS Dyno, What are you doing with the pedal assembly? Are you getting it from a MT LGT? Also, any follow up on your project? I'd like to thank you as well as everyone else for contributing.

-Steve

Edited by crrider80
adjust

I was able to get an entire drivetrain from a wrecked 05 5mt, trans, axles, diff, driveshaft, master cylinder, pedals, shift linkages. Right now I'm just trying to get a good plan for the electrical before everything gets here Thursday. The only thing I haven't made my mind up on yet is which clutch flywheel combo to go with.

Please share with us the wiring involved when you're through with it. I've decided to slowly piece together the MT RWD conversion. I'm gonna buy an sti pedalbox assembly to compare it to the Legacy's.

Rick, If you could be kind enough to share some detailed pics of the manual pedal box you purchased so that we could have a general idea the differences.

Please share with us the wiring involved when you're through with it. I've decided to slowly piece together the MT RWD conversion. I'm gonna buy an sti pedalbox assembly to compare it to the Legacy's.

Rick, If you could be kind enough to share some detailed pics of the manual pedal box you purchased so that we could have a general idea the differences.

I will most definitely post the results of this swap with all the details of the wiring.

I won't have the pedal box until Thursday, but when I get it I'll post some pics. I was told by a friend of mine who works for the parts dept. at Tom Wood Subaru that the pedal box's are different between the Legacy and WRX. I'm not sure what the differences are though.

BTW a RWD setup sounds like a lot of fun!

I have all the parts that I think I will need. Just trying to find the time to do the swap. I bought an 08 LGT 5MT so the final drive ratio is 3.90 vs the 4.10 found in the popular limited slip rear end. So I have a rear diff from an 02 Legacy that has the 3.90 ratio and 04 WRX limited slip rear and I will need to merge the 2 together. I am hoping to get the gears set up other the next week and do the full swap the week after. Car should be up and running for the Wicked Big Meet if all goes as planned. I'll post my findings.

Like Rick, if it were just the mechanical swap, it would be done, but I am bracing myself for the fun wiring issues that will follow.

BTW, I worked with my rep at Clutchmasters and they have put together a custom Stage 3.5 clutch for me to try out. Supposed to hold more than the Stage 3, but much better engagement than the stage 4. We will see. I am hoping it will be a good option for those looking the mid 300 range at the wheels.

Here is a pic of the pedals you requested.

1065518155_Picture071.thumb.jpg.ef2bc822c9a8e5c3ec5ba29cd6283648.jpg