Another 5eat to 6mt/5mt swap questions. (05+ LGT) thread

crrider80

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Holy crap, this is awesome! I never missed my cruise control over the past few years but the odometer error was irritating.

So, TCM unplugged and auto ecu with manual rom installed. Still using the auto bcm, auto cluster, auto abs module etc. correct?

Edited by ESP Dyno

Spot on !

Still need throttlehappy to check it out in person and fine tune.

The right manual rom and away goes all the issues and cruise control back:)

Wow! That's fantastic dude!! I'm assuming you're open source tuned? Would you mind sharing your ROM with me so I can reference it compared to others?

This makes me very happy, I'm about to start my 5spd swap and was dreading losing cruise control! I use my car mostly for road trips so cruise is very nice to have.

Thank you:)

Wow! That's fantastic dude!! I'm assuming you're open source tuned? Would you mind sharing your ROM with me so I can reference it compared to others?

This makes me very happy, I'm about to start my 5spd swap and was dreading losing cruise control! I use my car mostly for road trips so cruise is very nice to have.

Thank you:)

PM throttlehappy please

• 1 month later...
I'm about to get a severance check from my job, wondering how much I'm money going to need to do this? I'll be doing it on a 2006 legacy gt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

More than you think + the cost of a totaled manual lgt.

Dang...nevermind lol I'll just buy a wrx then

There are plenty of 5mt LGTs around for sale. I could only see this being worth while if you want do do it on a wagon where the 5mt was rare or non-existent.

My 5mt swap cost around $5200-5500 but it was done by a shop. It would be considerably less if you do it yourself.

Really?? Did the shop also help you get the parts for you or did you have to source them out your self??

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Reviving an older thread here, but is the way to get rid of the Canbus code simply to load on a manual transmission ROM? I sent ThrottleHappy a PM but haven't heard back.

You should be able to do so as theoretically speaking when you unplug the TCU and the automatic rom is still sending data for the 5AT it trips codes.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This thread is relevant to my interests http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/416186-2005-xt-jdm-spec-b-swap-imported-front-clip-auto-manual-conversion-bolt-ons.html :wub:

I'm working on a 6mt swap into my 2005 5EAT XT and found it after searching for a good half-hour, its both helpful and frustrating because I'm right at the point of trying to prep for the manual install. I got a JDM Spec-B front clip and the engine and trans are ready, I wish I had known about the floor stamping before taking everything apart. Anyway, lengthening the mount isn't a big deal, I am worried about the electronics. I understand I have to ground the ECU pin to ID as manual and have the quoted info below. I know I read recently that someone figured out cruise control for an auto-to-manual swap, and it sounds like its a matter of the things mentioned above - am I missing anything from the thread? I have both auto and manual ECUs and the complete stuff from the front clip, though since its RHD I can't use as much as I'd like. Any thoughts aside from getting my crossmember modded?

Assuming mechanical stuff done....grounding one pin to identify MT, wiring clutch and neutral safety switch, wiring reverse switch, flash compatible manual rom. Doesn't really sound that hard.

OK, I know the mechanical stuff can be done but the only thing that really concerns me is the wiring. So here is what I have found...After comparing the 05 manual and 05 auto PCM diagrams and doing some searching on here:

Pin 34 on connector B134 identifies the vehicle as manual or auto. Rumor has it that this pin just needs to be grounded (or ungrounded) to switch between the two.

Pin 9 on connector B137 is the nuetral switch input. Only problem I see here is, according to Alldata, the manual is looking for 12 volts when in nuetral, and the auto is looking for 0 volts in nuetral, 12 volts the rest of the time. No idea whether this would work.

Clutch switch would need to be wired into pin 1 on connector B134

Backup lights look like they could be wired into the same spot at the OP connector

I can't find the vehicle speed sensor input so no idea on this one.

Also, I would really like to know if the body control modules are the same for manual and automatic cars.

There are 2 different ECU part numbers for manuals and autos so something has to be different between them. Just not sure what...

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did as well a 5AT to 6MT swap on my 05 USDM LGT. I am located in Europe.

I got hold to used parts here locally but with not verified source (guy assembled the parts and sold to me, not specifically from one particular car). The only sure thing is the gearbox, as per its code it is from a 05 JDM 6MT Spec B, prop and drive shafts unknown, rear diff (R160) from a 06 EUDM legacy H6 spec B.

Mechanical wise, everything works fine. The car is running completely different than with AT (despite having mapped it around 330 HP on the AT already the MT is a completely different world).

We had to modify the gearbox cross member and the whole shift mechanism as the stick was leaning forward too much. The prop shaft had to be altered too, the middle rack was not fitting so we did combine the two together. First part was from the one I have received with the parts, the rear from my AT. Shafts were no issue, diff either.

Neutral and reverse are rewired with new connectors. Gearbox ECU had to be kept as otherwise the car did not want to start.

The pin34 trick however is not working. Grounded or not, the ECU thinks it is AT so I have got error codes P0700, P0705 and P0773 constantly.

Tried to find info whether an MT ECU would solve this but I have no clarity on that yet.

So now I am trying to find someone to do a re-flash or have the codes switched off.

Hope this info might be of help.