LegacyGT.com

So tell me why I should buy a Legacy

I'm torn between a new Audi A3 and a Legacy GT. Each call to me in different ways... I've been driving VWs for 15 years, so there's a certain "flavor" there that appeals to me.

I've driven a 5spd Legacy GT and it felt solid and fast and very controlled... I have friends with Subies who've found them to be highly reliable, and I like the look of the Legacy. I thought I'd like the wagon better, but seeing it in person I find the sedan to be much more to my liking.

I drove the 6spd A3 today. It's heavier than the Legacy, but oddly enough it feels lighter. The Legacy definitely pulls harder, and it's quieter. I like the Audi interior and some of the bells and whistles that aren't available on the Legacy, but the Legacy has a price advantage.

One thing I'm a little concerned about is mileage... I've seen some wildly differing reports on here about it, I'm fairly sure the Audi is going to come close to its rated 32 highway with that long-legged 6th gear. I might get close to the 26-27 I get normally per tank in the GTI, and I've quite the lead foot... I use the cruise control to keep it under 90, y'know... ;)

So, tell me... what should compel me to buy the Legacy.

DKB

Why couldn't you just put the bunny back in the box?

Why do you think you should buy a legacy?... Because it will save your ___ day.

Just kidding. It is really up to you. I don't know much about the A3, other than it is transverse engine based, like the Golf. The AWD in the Legacy is probably a little more direct. I have heard bad things about VAG quality, but you seem to like them, and have owned them, so you are probably a better judge of that.

It all depends on what you are going to use it for. Commuting, you may want mileage. Family hauling, you may want more space and power. It depends more on the role it will fill in your lifestyle, rather than the technical specs of the cars.

[Reverse psychology] You dont want this car. You really want to go buy an A3. You want to pull up to a stoplight and see 4 other A3s around u that look the same. You dont want a car w/ this much power. You dont want a car that is a blast to drive. This is not the car u are looking for. You dont want this car.[/Reverse psychology]

Can't beat Subaru for reliability. If maintenance costs, repair costs, downtime for maintenance and repairs is an issue, buy the Subaru. Audi is not known for reliability. The Legacy GT is really on par with the Audi S4 in terms of performance - the A3 is really not even in the ballpark.

Good luck with your decision making process.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/xenonk2828/GT-WHEELS3/aImg_0092.jpg

I have plenty of reasons....

Keefe

can i have a set?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

After debating this question myself for the longest time, i decided on the Legacy. I don't regret this decision and I'm very glad i did.

It sounds like you already made your mind up and are looking for reasons not to buy the Legacy(but having a hard time finding one).

It truely is a great car.

I had a VW passat (2001) with the 1.8T that was chipped. custom wheels and suspension as well. Loved that car, but the LGT makes me smile so much more. pulls harder than the VW plus that all wheel drive just sucks it around corners and away from lights when it's raining. Can't wait to drive it after a few mods!

I'm torn between a new Audi A3 and a Legacy GT. Each call to me in different ways... I've been driving VWs for 15 years, so there's a certain "flavor" there that appeals to me.

I've driven a 5spd Legacy GT and it felt solid and fast and very controlled... I have friends with Subies who've found them to be highly reliable, and I like the look of the Legacy. I thought I'd like the wagon better, but seeing it in person I find the sedan to be much more to my liking.

I drove the 6spd A3 today. It's heavier than the Legacy, but oddly enough it feels lighter. The Legacy definitely pulls harder, and it's quieter. I like the Audi interior and some of the bells and whistles that aren't available on the Legacy, but the Legacy has a price advantage.

One thing I'm a little concerned about is mileage... I've seen some wildly differing reports on here about it, I'm fairly sure the Audi is going to come close to its rated 32 highway with that long-legged 6th gear. I might get close to the 26-27 I get normally per tank in the GTI, and I've quite the lead foot... I use the cruise control to keep it under 90, y'know... ;)

So, tell me... what should compel me to buy the Legacy.

DKB

...I've always loved Audis and when I was on the market for a new commuter car to replace my '91 535 sport, I was set on getting either an A6 3.0 or an Allroad 2.7T, until the following happened:

-I did a couple months' research on VW quality ratings from multiple publications, and read surveys from new and long-time VW/Audi owners, and

-I heard about the new Legacy

You probably have your own feeling about VW products having owned them for some time, so I'll for go that point. As for the new LGT, I did find it to be about the most "German feeling" Japanese car I've driven, and as someone who's had many Japanese and many German cars, it helped me decide in favor of the Subaru.

As for your mileage concerns, yes--a lead foot + an '05 LGT will have you at the gas pump a lot (keep in mind you're using premium, too), but if you have any self-restraint whatsoever (hee hee), the idea of being able to attain in excess of 25+ MPG without being too dainty on the pedal, or 0-60 in 6.2-6.5 seconds whenever you need to struck me as being as close to the "best of both worlds" as possible.

Just my $.02.

Cheers,

Tim G.

'05 OBXTL-5MT

can i have a set?

The one without the tires I was trying to sell for a long time. You will need to roll your rear fenders to make them fit cuz they are THAT WIDE. Drive over, pick them up, and cough up some cash, and you can have them.

Legacy GT is much more fun than an A3. At least compare it to a used S4.. that would be something to compare.

Keefe

Keefe

Here:

Audi A3:

http://www.lifecar.de/berichte/bilder/audi-a3-01.jpg

(Does the Audi A3 3.2 sound like the 3.2 used in the Audi TT 3.2?)

http://www.lifecar.de/berichte/bilder/audi-a3-innen.jpg

(I'm not sold on this interior yet - give me a TT 3.2 instead :D )

Legacy GT:

http://www.dullesauto.com/new_photos/255346_1.jpg

http://www.dullesauto.com/new_photos/255346_6.jpg

- Mike

Is reliability an issue for you? Even if you lease, you still have to leave it with the dealer if it needs repairs. Spend some time reading the Audi forums for reliability/maintanence issues and then read the many postings here from happy owners and the lack of maintanence problems. Then decide if you still think the Audi is right for you.

the new a3 only comes in the 2.0 version with front wheel drive, if i remember my reading correctly. So if you need AWD, the a3 is not the car for you.

I am debating between the two cars as well. I have a VW Touareg in the driveway, and have driven a couple other german cars. The quality is good and i have had no really bad electrical problems. Thats what I would be most fearful of getting an Audi.

the new a3 only comes in the 2.0 version with front wheel drive, if i remember my reading correctly. So if you need AWD, the a3 is not the car for you.

That sucks!!!! I thought they had a 3.2 version of it with DSG. A 2.0 - WTF is that - get the Saab 9-2x instead and save $10K.

- Mike

I don't think anything should 'compel' you to buy a legacy if you have found a car that works for you. The Legacy isn't the best car in the world. I only say that because the word 'best' is entirely subjective. It is defined by what is best for the owner. If I was on a farm somewhere then the Legacy would not be the best car for me. If I wanted to build a car to get 8 second ETs then I probably wouldn't go for the Legacy. If gas milage is your big concern then the Legacy probably isn't the car for you unless you are satisified with low to mid 20s MPG on a regular basis. If everything else about the cars comes up sixes for you, then it just comes down to the milage. If you want the AWD and power of the turbo in the Legacy, then the mpg is just something you learn to live with.

I think that probably most Subaru drivers are previous Subaru owners. I don't know anybody personally who is in thier first Subaru. Most of them have had one or several in the past. This is a repeat buyer car. People don't buy a Subaru and then a few years later trade it in for something else. Subaru drivers have brand loyalty and that loyalty comes from the fact that they build awesome cars. I wouldn't trade my Legacy for any other car on the road. I don't care if it is more luxurious or faster or more fuel economical because the bottom line is that it wouldn't be a Subaru.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

That sucks!!!! I thought they had a 3.2 version of it with DSG. A 2.0 - WTF is that - get the Saab 9-2x instead and save $10K.

- Mike

Well, I'd definitely buy an honestly-badged WRX over a Saabaru... they haven't added any real value to an already excellent little rocket and they want more money for what's essentially a body kit. Oh, and unless I got Saab to knock 10k off the price, it wouldn't be 10k less than the Audi... configured to my interests, the A3 2.0T looks to be about $29,200 and I figure on a brand-new car they're not going to deal much. Edmunds.com tells me that I can get a Legacy GT to my liking for about $26,500 with some negotiating.

Decisions, decisions....

Well, I'd definitely buy an honestly-badged WRX over a Saabaru... they haven't added any real value to an already excellent little rocket and they want more money for what's essentially a body kit. Oh, and unless I got Saab to knock 10k off the price, it wouldn't be 10k less than the Audi... configured to my interests, the A3 2.0T looks to be about $29,200 and I figure on a brand-new car they're not going to deal much. Edmunds.com tells me that I can get a Legacy GT to my liking for about $26,500 with some negotiating.

Decisions, decisions....

Test drive the Legacy, I can't see the A3 selling for the same or near the Legacy price, plus a fwd 2.0 engine seems like it would be a bit pokey to me.

Keep searching.

- Mike

The A3 is a nice car and the new 2.0T is a nice engine, but it is still a compact FWD car and I would say not as big inside and outside as the Legacy. It is more like the Volvo V50 wagon I would think which is available in AWD. The Legacy will be more mod friendly and will have the neutral handling also.

Archived