LegacyGT.com

anyone else feeling like interior parts are made of crap?

3 months into my 2005 legacy wagon I broke the lumbar adjustment by simply sitting down. No, I'm not a fatty - 200 lbs and 6'5", big but probably average for an american male in terms of weight.

Dealer fixed it, but broke both front door interior handles somehow in the process. Turns out they're held in by a few really thin pieces of plastic. Had to take the car back in to fix those.

Within a month of this, broke the lumbar AGAIN while adjusting my seating position on the freeway. That was 5 weeks ago. Lumbar part is "extremely backordered" according to subaru. dealer is giving crap service (took 2 weeks to inform me part is backordered), Subaru is even worse (2.5 weeks for them to give me the extremely backordered" info) and says the part might not be available until June.

This is funny - I read that 2004 subaru's came in first in consumer reports initial quality survey - averaging like 8/100 dealer complaints in the first year. Well, 5 months into this car, and I've had the car in to the dealer 3 times. This never happened to my 1997 legacy wagon. Do the just mot make them like they used to?

Anyone else breaking lumbars? To be that backordered, they must be flying off the shelves!!

I don't know that having one or two parts break would classify the entire interior as being made of shit, but that does suck you are having problems with it. In any new car there are flaws that eventually get worked out. I haven't had any problems with mine and this is the first I've heard anyone say something about it. Sounds like you are just getting unlucky in that area.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I have had nothing but complements of the interior of my LGT Limited. I really like the fit and finish. You would be hard pressed to find a better interior in a car that costs around 25k. Only thing I would wish for is lower seats and a little more room in the footwell, but that has nothing to do with quality. Actually the only real problem I have had with the interior quality was that little plastic nub that holds the drivers mat in place, that broke off in like 2-3 weeks.

buy a treadmill LOL j/k...i'm 200 and 5 10....no not fat....but decent muscle with some fat..i aint have no issues

ur juss gettin unlucky....the only part of the car i think is made of shit is the trunk area

the cargo base is so cheap and flimsy and if you bend to look at the upper portion of the trunk theare is all kindsa metal rods and stuff in plain sight...they should have concealed that IMO

I'm 6' 2", 280 lbs and have nothing bad to say about the interior at all. I've taken the doors apart - I don't see how you could break the door handles without beating the hell out of them on purpose.

Did you break the big black plastic handles you pull to close the door, or did the chrome "open the door" thing break? The door releases are so easy you can pull them with your little finger.

[accent] You Americans are all big boned heavyweights, ya [/accent] :lol:

Well, I weigh a 145 at 5'-8" (yes, I am skinny, try 28" waist). My coworker "ogre"ed/destroyed my pens, my keyboard, mouse, pencil tips at work (he's 6'-2" at 240 lbs). If you are not mindful of your own strength, things will break no matter how well they are built, especially when it's made of wood or plastic. Think of it as a complement to say that you are strong.

Granted, the parts nowadays are made thinner, smaller, and not as structurally strong as they use to all pretty much due to design, economics of saving material and weight of the car (not to mention the manufacturer's wallet). Subaru does know that the fit and finish of the USA-assembled Legacys are sub-par.. I just hope they get this all fixed up by 2006 models. I am still not fond of the creeking and crackling sound of my dash board, but hey, it's one hell of a car, and nothing like taping up that little bit of the rubbing from the wires under the dash can't fix.

Sorry to hear that the lumbar broke on you twice. Btw, I dont think it's wise to adjust the seat while you are driving, maybe take your time adjusting the seat before you start driving the car off the lot? I know if you end up using that dead pedal as leverage when adjusting your seat, I am sure you can leg-press over 500 lbs (as I can do 750 lbs with two legs, don't ask), that's a lot of stress on the seat/lumbar assembly that you are pushing your back up against.

Keefe

Keefe

well 1st i think that america needs to get it together and loose weight...how can u stand not seeing your junk when u look down:rolleyes: and all you see is your toes..anyway 6'2 185 here and my interior fits my arse perfect:eek:

Guest *Jedimaster*
My coworker "ogre"ed/destroyed my pens

Keefe

Oh boy, did I read that wrong at first :lol:

I'm a big boy, but haven't managed to break anything yet. I wouldn't recommend leaning too hard on the center console though- when I had it apart, it felt kind of fra-gee-lay.

I was starting to think so, but I realized something. They're a little "plasticky", but they're made to be light. So many cars these days *cough*Chrysler*cough* are tipping the scales and handle like like they've got a kiddie pool on the roof (slosh, slosh) because of it. If the interior was made of all kinds of fancy alloys and metals, we'd have just another porky luxury car on our hands.

As for me, I'm not tipping the scales either (5'11", 170lbs), but the only thing I've had break in the interior has been that stupid floormat hook.

I have had the lumbar break in my Outback XT, dealer told me there was nothing wrong the first time I dropped it off, the next time I made the service guy sit in the seat with me there and asked him how he could not feel the stick in his back. They fixed it that day, but said all they needed to do was put it back together as it "popped out", whatever that means, and I am 6'0" and 170 lbs, so I'm not that large. The lumbar on the legacy 2.5I hasn't given me any trouble though, funny since it was $10K less than the outback.

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't know that they used 'lumbar' to build these wonderful cars! (rimshot sound). Seriously, haven't had any lumbar trouble, however the faux metal silver plastic stuff scratches way too easily. It's going to look like hell in no time. Hope someone makes some after market real metal or CF pieces that will hold up a bit better.

• 1 month later...

Archived