LegacyGT.com

Clutch swap, using option 3

NSFW

I wanted to know will the TSK be needed even for a non turbo??? I thought it helps with overall disengagement and wasn't power level specific :confused:

That's my understanding as well. My input shaft was in good shape without it, so I'm not sure it was really needed. But (a) I didn't know what the input shaft was like until I had the transmission out; (b) getting in there is a pain, so I figured that it was worth putting one in while I had everything apart.

What isthe TSK?

Transmission Sleeve Kit or a TranQuil Sleeve Kit

The word "quill" in the name refers to the nature of stock TOB to slide back and forth on the input shaft in the gearbox and cause wear to the Quill this piece attached to the PP via clips so that doenst happen anymore IIRC.

Bascially cars that typically sit in traffic with the clutch disengaged are prone to this issue?? I drive a ton of miles (30K/year) but 95% is in the interstates I rarely get caught in stop go traffic and when I do I try to use the clutch as little as possible.

I hear stories of this problem at 30K and others at 80K Im so paranoid about my clutch eventho I am a good driver ( no riding, launches, etc) I have no idea when to expect my clutch to completely shizzle out on me :eek: from what i hear it doesnt matter how well you baby the car.

So it turns out that I do have the 'clatter' that other people have mentioned with the 06 WRX flywheel and lighter FWs. I thought it was an intermittent heat shield rattle and I've been putting off doing something about it. But it dawned on me today that it only happens when decelerating. I did some experimenting and it coincides with zero load on the drivetrain (or close to it).

Over time the engagement point of the clutch went from just off the floor to... well, fairly high. I'm not going down there with a ruler. :) But it's comfortably high.

Some local LGT owners and I took our cars to a large kart track (or small car track, depending on you perspective) and had a great time, and the clutch worked great. I also did a couple of moderately aggressive launches around the same time, since I had summer tires on for a few days, and the clutch held very well. When the pedal comes up, the clutch grabs hard.

Zero clutch stink. In retrospect, I should have ditched the stock clutch a long time ago for that reason alone. I've been driving like a grandmother for so long that it feels positively liberating to have a decent clutch again.

• 4 months later...

Over the last week or so, I have been experimenting with higher boost levels. Right around the time I reached 25psi, I started getting just a little bit of clutch slip. Only in 4th gear, and only at peak torque, but I did find the limit. I turned it down a bit, and I'm staying out of WOT in 4th, and I'm looking for a new clutch.

This is with an ATP 3076 on 92 octane, by the way. I still think this clutch would be a good choice for anyone with a 20G, AVO 380/420, or similar-sized turbo, on pump gas. But not with meth - LittleBlueGT's has started to slip as well.

Archived