LegacyGT.com

Clutch swap, using option 3

NSFW

So I took my car to a friend's place to get rid of my slippy stock clutch and put in something stronger. I explained that it could be done by pulling the engine forward, but consensus on the forum was that it's a bit easier to leave the engine in place, leave the front axles attached, and just pull the transmission back to gain access to the clutch.

He said something like, "Really? That doesn't leave much room. Let's just pull the tranny out."

I trust his judgment, so:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/Clutch/TransOut.jpg

And then, out with the old...

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/Clutch/OutWithTheOld.jpg

In with the new...

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/Clutch/InWithTheNew.jpg

That's an 06 WRX flywheel and a Bullyclutch 'stage 2' clutch disc.

What's missing?

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/Clutch/NewWithPressurePlate.jpg

Oh right, the 'stage 4' pressure plate.

We got the trans back in without loosening the turbo or up-pipe. I'm guessing the ATP 3076 sits a little higher than usual with its little riser/shim thing on top of the up-pipe. It was a close fit, but there was clearance.

The whole operation took 5 hours. Huge thanks to Easy19 and Citka for all the help! Now that we've practiced on my car, we'll do Easy19's next. :)

After the install, and the first quick test drive showed no problems at all. Engagement is smooth, and pedal effort is very much like stock. The clutch started to engage about 3/4 inch off the floor at first, but after driving around for an hour last night the engagement has come up another half-inch or so.

I am still a bit surprised how easy this clutch is to drive. When I realized that the ACT HD wasn't going to cut it, I figured that I was going to have to go with something that would pose a challenge. It should have no trouble holding twice as much torque as the factory clutch, but it's no less drivable. I'll be comfortable giving the keys to my girlfriend or my parents without any warnings or explanation. (No warnings about the clutch, anyway... the throttle is another story.)

I gotta thank LittleBlueGT for the recommendation. This seems like a great option for people who want more than the ACT HD, without going to a puck or twin-plate and the issues that come with them.

That said, the Clutchmasters FX300 should be fairly similar. Somebody should try one and report back.

I am looking forward to your thoughts on launching the car. I have never driven a LGT w/ an ACT clutch, so I cannot comment on what it is like in comparison, but my Bullyclutch seems to be able to handle whatever I have thrown at it to date.:)

So whats the torque rating on your setup, would you say? :) is the friction material kevlar?

-Franz

Yes, it's Kevlar. Torque capacity isn't really spelled out. Bullyclutch says their 'stage 2' kit "gives an increase in torque capacity of 60%," so at least that much. They claim a 200% increase for their 'stage 4' kit but that normally uses a puck-style clutch.

The Clutchmasters Kevlar clutch looks almost identical and they claim a 110% increase. They use the same pressure plate for their entire range of clutches, whereas Bullyclutch has two pressure plate options, so it seems likely that Bully's 'stage 4' pressure plate is a little stronger than Clutchmasters. But that's basically just speculation on my part.

All things considered, I'm guessing it's good for a little more than double the torque capacity of the stock clutch.

I am looking forward to your thoughts on launching the car. I have never driven a LGT w/ an ACT clutch, so I cannot comment on what it is like in comparison, but my Bullyclutch seems to be able to handle whatever I have thrown at it to date.:)

I've only driven a friend's ACT setup (Tracer-X) so I didn't launch it. I don't plan on launching this one much either, but I suppose I'll have to try it at some point. :)

I'm on snow tires right now though, and I want them to last, so it's going to be a while before I try anything more exciting than a 3rd gear WOT pull.

I did an ACT/flywheel combo on my back last night in my garage. I pulled the axles and trans and just slid the jack back about 18". Plenty of room that way. Took slightly over 4 hours.

Having pulled a motor and now this I say pull the trans to do a clutch.

I bought the Bullyclutch parts direct from them (email, then phone) and got the flywheel and TSK3 from Fred Beans. Overkill yes, but it didn't cost all that much more, so if you don't like the usual ACT HDMM setup it's a totally reasonable choice. However I think the Clutchmasters FX300 costs a tad less so consider that one too. I don't have the price handy but I'll post it tonight or tomorrow.

No chatter here either.

I found the price. The Bully setup (clutch+PP) was $820 CDN (765 USD) plus shipping.

For comparison here's an FX300 for $660 USD. That's a better price than I remember seeing before...

http://www.maperformance.com/clutch-masters-fx300-clutch-kit-06-09-wrx-15-021-hdtz.html

...but you can still pay more for an FX300 if you want. :)

http://www.sportcompactwarehouse.com/clutch_masters/clutchmasters_fx300_clutch_kit/15021hdtz/i-147941.aspx

Either way you'll need an 06 WRX flywheel, which is around $200.

No, but when I asked about it in email they were happy to sell me that combo.

Three updates:

1) It's pretty much broken in now and the engagement point has come up a bit more. Feels just fine but I'm going to tinker with it anyway.

2) When the engine is cold, there's a faint squeal when I slip the clutch. I only hear it when backing out of my driveway in the morning, or leaving the parking garage at work in the evening.

3) There's also a slightly rough feel to the way that it slips. It's not pronounced, but it's there. EDIT: I think that might just be due to changing from the dual-mass flywheel to single-mass.

No, but when I asked about it in email they were happy to sell me that combo.

Two updates:

1) It's pretty much broken in now and the engagement point has come up a bit more. Feels just fine but I'm going to tinker with it anyway.

2) When the engine is cold, there's a faint squeal when I slip the clutch. I only hear it when backing out of my driveway in the morning, or leaving the parking garage at work in the evening. There's also a slightly rough feel to the way that it slips. It's not pronounced, but it's there.

#2, I haven't gotten that at all. Maybe it will change in time. Have you tried launching it yet, or is it too early still?

Nope, no launches until April when I take the snow tires off.

Clutch is now girlfriend-approved. My girlfriend drove me to work and then ran some errands in my car today, and had no problem with the clutch.

The Clutchmasters Kevlar clutch looks almost identical and they claim a 110% increase. They use the same pressure plate for their entire range of clutches, whereas Bullyclutch has two pressure plate options, so it seems likely that Bully's 'stage 4' pressure plate is a little stronger than Clutchmasters. But that's basically just speculation on my part.

Just posting up to point out some of the differences I noticed, at a glance anyway. Comparing the two kevlar setups

Bully Clutch has 6 springs for the clutch disk

Clutchmasters only has 4 (according to their file photo)

The springs of the pressure plates themselves appear to be shaped differently.

Some guys on NASIOC mentioned a slight amount of chatter for the Clutchmasters stage 3 Kevlar disk. LBGT and NSFW mention no chatter with the Bully Clutch kevlar setup

-Franz

I'll be comfortable giving the keys to my girlfriend or my parents without any warnings or explanation. (No warnings about the clutch, anyway... the throttle is another story.)

Don't loan it to anyone who rides a clutch. With the kevlar disc, even when broken in, it's easy to glaze it and permanently wreck it (with an organic disc, glazing can be worn through, not so with kevlar).

Andy

^^^Im glad you posted that I am not in need of a clutch yet but when the time comes in about 30K miles ( 1 year for me ) ill be putting a better clutch in my 2008 2.5i. I heard once that glazing can be a problem but never knew which material disc. I don't need a monster clutch like you turbo owners but the stock one is trash from the factory.

I will be switching to a 06 WRX flywheel and a better clutch/PP

I wanted to know will the TSK be needed even for a non turbo??? I thought it helps with overall disengagement and wasn't power level specific :confused:

Archived