LegacyGT.com

Japanese BP5 Legacy Spec B Front Bumper, got one, now what?

accord94dx

I have one and I am unsure if it will fit the US Model, any measurements I can check out? I am going to be in Japan for awhile so I won't be able to see for myself until I get back. Thanks. Brian [img]http://img28.photobucket.com/albums/v85/accord94dx/specb.jpg[/img] [img]http://img28.photobucket.com/albums/v85/accord94dx/specb2.jpg[/img] It was an impulse buy....only $240 new. :!: [/img]

I would love to give you measurements, but I don't think that anyone here who has a car is willing to rip the front bumper off. Although I do love that spec-b front. I wonder how much bumper beam modification it would take to put that baby on a USDM version. Although i woudn't want to voif my insurance because of it!

My understanding (which might be incorrect) is that the USDM bumper also has energy-absorbing pistons in it, to further protect from the low-speed fender benders that are all the rage in this market. If this is the case, you'd better hope that the pistons are part of the USDM bumper beam, and that they all come out in a unit. This is almost certainly the case if indeed they are there at all. Kevin

Please post this in the front page (or somewhere that everybody will see) when the time comes, I just don't want to miss it. Thanks! :D Question: Are the USDM colors exactly the same as the JDM ones? [quote name='Tide']I'd love to set up a group buy for the bspec bumper if they make one to fit the USDM model.[/quote]

This Space For Rent

[quote name='Drift Monkey']I'll take your JDM GT bumper since you'll likely have no use for it now. :twisted:[/quote] No way, Drift! You haven't even ordered your car yet! Me first! :) Maybe I'll drop by the dealership this weekend and take a look under the front bumpers to see what is there. :D

I don't have a Legacy, nor do I think I'll get one soon, but I'm just wonder, where are you from? Welcome to the boards by the way. Also, how'd you get your hands on the bumper? Someone just swapped his front bumper? Oh yeah. In Japan, I read somewhere that the grilles for the Spec-B bumper is a slightly different size than the non-Spec-B (the one that looks like ours)... Hopefully this information helps. Can someone confirm this since there are probably skeptical people out there? :)
-ben

[quote name='axis008']I don't have a Legacy, nor do I think I'll get one soon, but I'm just wonder, where are you from? Welcome to the boards by the way. Also, how'd you get your hands on the bumper? Someone just swapped his front bumper? Oh yeah. In Japan, I read somewhere that the grilles for the Spec-B bumper is a slightly different size than the non-Spec-B (the one that looks like ours)... Hopefully this information helps. Can someone confirm this since there are probably skeptical people out there? :)[/quote]From MN, studied abroad in Osaka last year, made connections, now working in Nagoya. Yahoo Japan auctions. :) Your 3rd comment has me concerned....

[quote name='brady_bunch']No way, Drift! You haven't even ordered your car yet! Me first! :) Maybe I'll drop by the dealership this weekend and take a look under the front bumpers to see what is there. :D[/quote] Quiet you! That matters not! :P

id love to be the guniea pig for this when/if i get my Legacy, haha. but by that time, you guys may already be having a ball with the front bumpers being imported from japan. maybe king of imports or someone like that can just make a clone, or start being an importer for things like that. im sure it will cost us $$$$, but this way, we will know it will fit the US spec bumper and any stupid safetly, mod-hurting devices we have on the car

[quote name='KCMC582']maybe king of imports or someone like that can just make a clone, or start being an importer for things like that. im sure it will cost us $$$$, but this way, we will know it will fit the US spec bumper and any stupid safetly, mod-hurting devices we have on the car[/quote] Roger that. I don't know how exactly they could accomplish it but that would be my preference... a USDM aftermarket part that fit our cars and safety features.

[quote name='brady_bunch']Roger that. I don't know how exactly they could accomplish it but that would be my preference... a USDM aftermarket part that fit our cars and safety features.[/quote] That will be likely very hard to do. If a replica bumper cover ever were made, it'd likely to be made of fiberglass, which I'm not particularly fond of...

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='brady_bunch']Roger that. I don't know how exactly they could accomplish it but that would be my preference... a USDM aftermarket part that fit our cars and safety features.[/quote] That will be likely very hard to do. If a replica bumper cover ever were made, it'd likely to be made of fiberglass, which I'm not particularly fond of...[/quote] What about urethane? Aren't a lot of body kits made out of that now?
-ben

Well, to fit the bumper to a JDM you need a spec B grill, dunno if that one is using orignal specs or not. TO fit it to the USDM (and it is a real DM car, made in the US, and more importantly redesigned) is gonna be more complex. The front impact structure has been modified, so under skin changes will likely be needed. I suspect the bumper beam, 5mph impact related stuff etc will have to go, and be replaced by JDM bits at the very least (pretty obvious from the volumetric differences). Hope the change goes well and smoothly for you when the time comes. Cheers:)

Archived