LegacyGT.com

5MT Transmission Failure(s)

Roldan

Well, its time again.

Bearing noise in the 5mt. Dropped it off at a local tranny shop that's been around for many years. Talked with the owner for a while to see what he knew about these POS's.

He'll give me a call tomorrow and let me know what he thinks.

I did check the fluid last weekend and it was at the low line and a little grayish, I put the last of the Extra-S I had, about 1/2 a qt and put about .2QT of Motul 300. Checked it after work today, now its grayish still and about 1/4 or more over full.

Its had Amsoil Severgear in it since the clutch was installed last March.

We talked about fluid and he seems to think its better to stay away from synthetic gear oil in these.

He's had many years of working with the local racers,NASCAR as well as Drag and has learned a lot.

I'll fill you in more when I have more info.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hind sight is 20/20 ;)

Terry, from Terry's Transmission's in Ashford CT called. Yep that's bearing noise, he'll take it apart early next week and call me with what he finds.

Last night, we also talked about OEM or aftermarket bearings, he's learned the Subaru bearings are better then aftermarket.

Looks like I'll be driving the Spec B for a few day's. Actually have the new Outback today, have to stop by Home Depot on the way home and pick up the new pieces for the downstairs bath.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I just put a new propeller shaft in the car in early Nov. New clutch and FW last March...

I enjoy the way the 5mt shifts with the Morre Performance Blast Plates...

$$$$

Blown Viscous Coupling.

The gears are all ok, he'll call tomorrow with prices.

From looking around, the one of those seems to be $450-550.

Got the call. All the bearings had metal pitting from the metal in the fluid, he'll replace the synchro's, VC. Should have it back early next week. The parts will be in Thursday or Monday.

Edited by Max Capacity

Looks like my center differential bearing is failing, the one that leads to the driveshaft.

My shop is recommending getting a used transmission and doing a swap.

Current transmission has 126,000 miles, was rebuild around 90,000.

Any advice or recommendations? Currently seeing used 5MTs going for $1000-$1700. Not sure what shipping will cost, probably $200. Labor's going to be about $550 or so.

Not happy.

You can fix it yourself for ~$150 in parts (4 bearings, Fujibond red RTV). It can be done with the transmission in the car. If you have a shop press, it's a very straightforward job. A bearing puller is a good tool to get as well. It take about a day going at a very slow pace.

It happens to a lot of them.

Picked the wagon up last night. Tranny is nice and quiet, only has the gear whine in 1st and 2nd because of the straight cut gears. The rear diff makes a little off throttle noise but that's been there for years. If I'm happy with the tranny in April or May I'll pull the rear diff and have him go through it.

He was told by Subaru to use Shell 75w-90 synthetic gear oil. I see there are a couple different ones on the web. I'll stop by next week or so and try and find out exactly which one he used, I'll assume for the time being its the Spirax EW 75w-90.

I may stop by the buddies at the dealer and ask them what they recommend when I take the car in the recall for the air bag.

I've been using Motul 75w-90 since the original extra-s was discontinued. Redline 75w-90ns has also served me well in the past on my LGT 5MT. The new "extra-s" is in my OBXT 5MT and it is okay but makes cold shifts a little notchy. Would replace it with the Motul or redline if I decided to keep it.

My Spec B has Extra-S in it. It was a little notchy shifting yesterday Morning, the temp was 4F.

Today the wagon seemed to shift fine it was again 4F outside.

I have a some Motul300 in the shed and a little Amsoil Severgear. Not sure I want to put that back I to use Severgear again, that's what's been in the tranny since the clutch install in March.

The shop owner did say he would like to replace the Shell after a few thousand miles of break in. I'll be in touch if I want you to send me something.

Original extra-S. I had to check my little note book with dates, mileage and work performed before I posted.

I wonder how close the new stuff is to the Shell he was told to use by Subaru ?

Yep, back in 2007.

I didn't know how long I'd keep the car...lot's has changed since then...still its hard to come up with spending about $6000 for the swap...

• 10 months later...

Hello Everyone, put a Stage 2 clutch in my 2010 GT last year. I don't do the trdrive hard at all and my clutch is starting to release highack, I don't . Clutch manufacturer states the hydraulic clutch needs to be adjusted. By Gawd I cannot find a mechanic who is knowledgeable of an hydraulic adjustment..Is the manufacturer pulling my leg or what?

could the clutch be going after just a year of normal driving?