LegacyGT.com

Compilation of available clutches for BP/BL

NSFW

So I need a new clutch (AGAIN). This clutch is an ACT HD Street Clutch With ACT Streetlite Flywheel (chatters like a mofo). It was installed about 2 years ago and has about 30,000 miles on it. NEVER been launched or beat on in anyway. The other day I was driving in traffic and all of a sudden the pedal stiffened up and it started vibrating and chattering like crazy and engaging very high on the pedal.

Took it to my mechanic and he said it seems like I bent my pressure plate but he'd have to the tranny to know for sure.

MODS:

Fully bolted

VF-52

750cc Inj

AVO FP

Perrin TMIC

Etc...

Power: 316whp (on a Dyno Dynamics rig, numbers may be a little higher than actual)

So before I pull my tranny I'm going to order another clutch so if I do need to replace it I have the parts on hand since this is my only car and I want to minimize downtime.

So I obviously not going with ACT again, 2 years and 30K miles on a "high performance" clutch that has not been abused is sub par to say the least.

Possible replacement choice:

Exedy Stage 1

CM FX200 or FX300

Question - Based on my mods and power levels do you think the Exedy Stage 1 (The cheapest) would be sufficient. And if I went with the CM, should I go for the FX300 over the FX200 based on my power levels?

TIA

My ACT HD Setup started acting up yesterday. What'd you end up doing?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I my CM300 in about 2 years ago and it is still great for a DD. Smooth engagement and light pedal. Very easy to drive in L.A. traffic. Just my $.02.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• 2 months later...
okaaayyyy dumb question but will the spec stage 1 or 2 kit fit with a stock 06 wrx flywheel? And this setup will work for my 05 legacy gt right?

yes

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

okaaayyyy dumb question but will the spec stage 1 or 2 kit fit with a stock 06 wrx flywheel? And this setup will work for my 05 legacy gt right?

Make sure you let the vendor know that you have a 06 WRX SMFW and get the clutch for it.

If you tell them you have a Legacy GT and you want a Spec 2 clutch for it, you will get the wrong clutch for the SMFW.

I got my new Spec 2 clutch from Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls.com email him and tell him what you have and what you want to do.

Get it right the first time.

Also get a TSK3 TOB kit.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

So it looks as if my Spec B is finally going to need a clutch, it's been stage 2 for about 10,000 miles (48,000 miles total on the car).

From what I have been reading it looks like can go two ways on my car: Upgrade to an OEM STi flywheel and a STi clutch, or stick with my stock flywheel and just upgrade the clutch. Is this the correct thinking?

I am leaning more towards the STi combo since it will give me a larger clutch but it seems that option tends to be the more expensive way to go. Would a replacement clutch specifically for the Spec B still hold up to the higher stage 2 HP and TQ levels? Also what does labor normally run for a clutch install?

• 2 weeks later...

Excuse my absolute ignorance on this subject but I'm at my breaking point here and I'm trying to get my wife's car back on the road.

A little back story first. In '08 my the clutch on our 2005 outback 2.5XT (ej255) started to slip pretty bad and we brought it to a local shop in our area. They said the FW (dual Mass) was pretty bad and should be replaced as well. I looked at it and it was in indeed in bad shape. So the replaced it and life was good until recently the clutch started to slip again. No biggie this time I had time to do the repair myself so I ordered the new clutch opened up the case and go to install and immediately notice that the TOB is completely different! I call around to all the parts stores in my area and find out that there are 2 different clutch setups that could possibly be on my car 1 is for the Dual mass FW the other is for the solid FW. I looked at my FW and duh its the solid one. The carquest in my area had the Exedy clutch for the Solid FW set up with the correct TOB so I scooped it up. I put on the clutch then go to put the clutch cover on and the holes for the 3 pins to hold the clutch on don't line up! Motherf*#er!!! They are off by fractions of a mm! I'm totally lost as to what the issue is I go to put the old cover on and it fits no problem. Then i realize that old clutch is branded SACHS Subaru I look at the FW and it say SACHS as well! The only place I can get this clutch is the dealership and they are saying it would be 2 day's before they can get it in.

OK so I have w questions:

1. Is there another direct replacement kit for the disc, TOB, pressure plate that I can get without special ordering that will fit the SACHS flywheel?

3. I see alot fo mention of the 06 WRX FW being a cheaper replacement. Where can I get this and would one of the Exedy clutch kits that I got fit this?

Thanks

Edited by bazidl
found the answer to my question

• 1 month later...

I'm creeping up on having to replace my clutch. I'm running a 16gBNR with a healthy mod list and infamous1 tune. I don't "launch" my car or abuse it too much. Mostly drive like an old man. Looking for a nice long term solution and like what I have read about the Clutchmaster product. I'm at ~85k now and have started seeing some high stress slip.

Looks like from the info in this thread:

15-106-HD00-SF ...525 lbs

15-106-HDTZ-SF ...595 lbs

15-106-HDCB4-SF ...655 lbs

I should be fine with the CM100, since there is no E85 near me. Is there any compelling reason to step up to the CM200 or 300?

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

I have the CM300 on my car now and it's just the same as stock in pedal feel. I have been running only e85 for the last year so I'm pushing around 370whp and 36o w lbs-ft and it holds well. If you plan on staying at your power level then I guess you will be fine with CM100. But, if it's not much more you can get the CM200 to give you a little more cushion. Just my $.02

I'm creeping up on having to replace my clutch. I'm running a 16gBNR with a healthy mod list and infamous1 tune. I don't "launch" my car or abuse it too much. Mostly drive like an old man. Looking for a nice long term solution and like what I have read about the Clutchmaster product. I'm at ~85k now and have started seeing some high stress slip.

Looks like from the info in this thread:

15-106-HD00-SF ...525 lbs

15-106-HDTZ-SF ...595 lbs

15-106-HDCB4-SF ...655 lbs

I should be fine with the CM100, since there is no E85 near me. Is there any compelling reason to step up to the CM200 or 300?

Personally, I'd follow this guy's advice. Besides, he has a clue.

I would never put anything that's anywhere near stock on any car when it comes to clutches.

I have the CM300 on my car now and it's just the same as stock in pedal feel. I have been running only e85 for the last year so I'm pushing around 370whp and 36o w lbs-ft and it holds well. If you plan on staying at your power level then I guess you will be fine with CM100. But, if it's not much more you can get the CM200 to give you a little more cushion. Just my $.02

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 1 month later...

What experience, if any, do you guys have with Comp clutches?

Specifically this one: http://6starspeed.com/coclst2stclk2.html

I'm not heavily modded really. Perrin Downpipe, invidia up-pipe, manual boost controller upping the boost to 15 psi if I recall correctly.

The other kit I was looking at was an ACT clutch from fred beans:

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/act-hd-street-clutch-and-flywheel-kits.html

Either the street light flywheel kit or the OEM flywheel. I don't know what the pros or cons for each would be.

I just want a reliable clutch that actually will handle the moderately increased torque my setup puts out.

Any advice you guys are willing to give me would be great.

Thanks,

Kris

Contact, PM, m sprank, he can give you what you need and answer all your questions.

Comp is a great company.

I like Spec, but most people don't have good luck with them.

My Spec 2+ lasted over 80,000 miles and was still going strong when I put the new short block in. I have over 12,000 miles on the Spec 2 clutch now. It has a nice pedal feel and good grab.

I would not do a LWFW again. Get a SMFW of a 07-09 Legacy GT.

Seems that most guy's say ACT's have a heavy pedal feel.

I've got a SMFW with an ACT HDSS clutch and PP. Overall, I like it. Grabs great. You will get some chatter when it's cold, however... but I'm used to it.

Also... a clutch TOB return helper spring will keep the TOB from chirping against the PP.

• 4 weeks later...
Going to be getting a full tbe on my 2010 lgt and I am wondering what would be a good clutch for my vehicle?? It hasnt gone out yet, but i should start saving now....I have looked around and I haven't seen any for a 6speed manual lgt? Might be a noob question but I am still learning this modding game! Any reply is greatly appreciated!

I have a clucthmaster fx300 for years and its been great so far. Light pedal and holds well. Pm me I should be able to get you the best prices on all your parts. Bryan

• 2 months later...

well my clutch is starting to slip in wot 3rd gear pulls and a little in 5th gear ..

i dont beat the hell out of my car and i dont launch at all ..

mods are

up pipe, dp, full exhaust, and tmic, on a cobb stage 2tune .. not going any higher power wise , might get a cleaner tune later on but im going to stay with 17psi . no plans on going with a larger turbo either . if anything maybe a vf52 if my stock goes .. but still not going to push the psi up .. so

thinking im going to stay with a stock clutch, as i daily my car , and all this crap i keep hearing with chatter , and pedal feel being odd..

think with my mods and driving i would be safe with a stock setup my car has 55k on it

First, there is more to making power than bumping up the psi. 17psi on a vf40/52/39/48/18g......will net you completely different results. Upgrade the clutch and go with an Oem smfw. You just said you don't beat the clutch and its already slipping at cobb stg2. A custom stg2 tune will make a little more power. What makes you think that another stocker will hold up any better?
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder