Compilation of available clutches for BP/BL

NSFW

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

should i just go with this, or will any clutch kit/flwheel option of a 2007 plus legacy gt or wrx work? goin nuts trying to get the best deal, and i just wanna double check that i can use any 07 plus clutch/flywheel combo. Thanks again.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/subaru-2007-2010-legacy-gt-clutch-kit-with-flywheel.html

• 4 weeks later...
I was able to search on the classifieds for a while on both this board and NASIOC, I got an 06 flywheel for $60 and a brand new 07 LGT clutch for $250. And yes, you can use the 07-09 LGT clutch on your car with a single mass flywheel.

So I have an interesting combo and probably need a little help finding out the remaining steps to complete my kit:

06 machined wrx stock flywheel.

ACT HD street disk - new.

35k Used stock wrx Pressure Plate.

My list of remaining things to purchase is:

TOB: Do I need one for an 06 wrx, or one for an 05 lgt? Is there a difference?

Pilot Bearing: Prolly new from 06 WRX

Bolt Kits: I assume I need the TP50 head and a new bolt kit.

Is there anything else I'm missing for this conversion, or something listed above that's incompatible?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

So i have a 09OXT with 300wtq and only 27k on the whole system. getting the chatter when the clutch is depressed so I am guessing I need to do something quick.

is my platform the same in terms of clutch, etc. as the LGT and hence 06' WRX?

Thanks.

is my platform the same in terms of clutch, etc. as the LGT and hence 06' WRX?

Thanks.

Yes and yes.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread guys. I feel like I"ve almost "got it."

I have an 05 OBXT and the original clutch started slipping this morning, as I accellerated through a yellow light in third gear. RPM's started to climb quickly, and no increase inspeed, accompanied by slight scraping sound as I let off the gas.

My mods are: AP (OTS Stage II map), Catted CNT downpipe, Grimmspeed up-pipe, and a custom single 3" exhaust that is getting installed as we speak by Stebro Exhaust in Ottawa, Ontario)

I understand that I have the dual-mass FW setup, which is more expensive to replace, can't be resurfaced etc...

So far, I understand the I can transition to 07-09 LGT/06+ WRX Singlemass Flywheel and clutch combination (OEM or aftermarket) without a problem. Does the timeframe in which my car was made 04 vs 05 have any bearing on whether or not the new clutch (07-09 LGT) will actually fit?

I'm thinking a mild upgrade over the OEM clutch is preferred, since I'm looking at stage II as my mod-ceiling right now.

Last question is the TSK kit. Do I need it? My car has 155,000 kms, but I don't want to order the kit if I don't need it, nor need the kit and not have it.

Thanks again for the great tech advice.

Don

Thanks for the reply!

I'm thinking the OEM single mass flywheel + aftermarket clutch is the way to go.

What I'm not certain of is the issues that have been noted with late04/early05 production groups. My car was made in Nov 04, and Fred beans has recorded that a few but not all cars in that window have has issues trying to swithc to the Single Mass, 07+ clutch setup. Ottawa clutch can re-surface the flywheel/PP and provide a newer kevlar disc for about $300 total. Which is a considerable savings over purchasing a new aftermarket or OEM kit.

Do you find the single mass wheel that you have to be overly noisy?

Thanks again.

Don

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just got off the phone with SPEC tech and sales, I thought everybody might like to know:

SPEC makes a full range of kits for 05 LGT 5mt ---with the stock flywheel---.

stage II is rated at 400ft lbs at the clutch. ($539 with shipping)

Now the other half of the information: I called SPEC first because they provided excellent service, advice, and the perfect product for my last big budget project (2003 A4 V6 + Supercharger).

Today I was asking about longevity: Our clutches may last 5k miles or 400k miles depending on use of vehicle. I pointed out that a previous rep (a few years ago) pointed me at a specific clutch because of high life expectency as it would be compared to a stock clutch. Also that I was very happy with that product. His response was that clutch life will rely entirely on how I drive my car. I asked if he could compare the expected life of their clutch not in miles but in general relation to factory clutch lifespan. Some of our customers replace it for wear at 5k miles and are happy that it holds the power.

I think for a clutch that costs over $500 and has a life expectency of: "5,000 to 400,000 miles" I'm going to spend half that on another OEM clutch and take a chance on replacing it again next year.

There is a love/hate relationship with Spec clutches - some love them, others hate them. I'm one of those going back to the stock DMFW clutch, from the ACT HD Street clutch, for the reasons previously articulated in this thread.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

There is a love/hate relationship with Spec clutches - some love them, others hate them. I'm one of those going back to the stock DMFW clutch, from the ACT HD Street clutch, for the reasons previously articulated in this thread.

Why not try the '06+ WRX FW and the clutchmaster FX300. I have it in my DD and the engagement is smooth and the pedal is as light as stock.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
250 miles of city driving thus far on break-in period. No perceptible changes in engagement feel. Still piss poor. Slightly less shitty when ambient temps are near 50*F. Friction point shudder sounds like a kitchen pan banging below the car, which is awesome when trying to parallel park.

Do you think it's something to do with cold weather? I'm not having any problem like that out in So Cal. I only get a slight shutter only when I back out my driveway in the morning. The rest of the day it's fine and I have driven it in LA stop and go traffic.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com