LegacyGT.com

1998 Subaru Legacy Oil Leak

mledford

I have an oil leak that has me puzzled. A few months ago, I noticed the smell of burning oil after the car had been driven for about 30 minutes. A small amount of oil was coming from the front of the engine and blowing back onto the exhaust. Here's the strange part - after an oil and filter change, the leak stops for about 1500 miles, then it begins again. Next oil change, it stops, 1500 miles it's back. I am using a Fram filter. Is excessive pressure at the filter causing the pump or front seal to leak? The oil filter itself is clean and dry, so it's not a filter leak, and the oil seems to be from the front of the engine (not the drain plug).

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks, Mike

Check and make sure your not over filling the oil, then also try and see exactly where the leak is comming from! Also if it stops after 1500 miles and returns could you be using the wrong oil? If your oil is too thin it will do just that in hot weather.

The same thing was happening to me with my '97 GT sedan. About four months later with that wierd burning smell i blew a headgasket (like all the old 2.5 Subaru engines do sooner or later). There may be a small leak in the headgasket where the oil can get out. I'd check your oil after the 1500 miles or so to see if it is milky looking and check your coolant level every month or so. If the oil is taking on a milky appearance i'd have the car checked for a headgasket leak. Good luck with your '98 and i hope you can solve the problem.

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Thanks for the replies. The oil leak goes away with fresh oil and filter, and returns after 1500 miles. The oil is 10W40, and I put 4.2 quarts like the manual says. The leak is at the front of the engine, but haven't been able to locate it yet. I guess I'll steam clean the engine, and maybe try one of the UV additives in the oil. I have a UV light, so all I need is the tracer. Anyone used any of this before?

• 5 years later...

I have an oil leak too but mine is coming from the top I guess and goes down right behind the engine it end dripping down towards the oil drain plug is.When you drive it hard it will blow towards the xhaust and smell burning oil. Is there any pressure switch, sensor etc. right below thw area of the throttle body, intake manifold area?

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...
I have an oil leak too but mine is coming from the top I guess and goes down right behind the engine it end dripping down towards the oil drain plug is.When you drive it hard it will blow towards the xhaust and smell burning oil. Is there any pressure switch, sensor etc. right below thw area of the throttle body, intake manifold area?

Thanks,

Yours is likely the oil separator. Need to pull the engine or transmission to get to it. $20 part, $800 fix.

Check your oil.

Archived