LegacyGT.com

Official Test for NTD Throttle Control Unit

The comment about down shift to 4th has been proven wrong. I was I-81 on the way to Charlottesville yesterday and hit the throttle while cruising at 75 and it picked right up! The Eco mode produces as well 130 hwy miles on less than a 1/4 tank.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah usually if I'm cruising at speeds upward of 65+, I don't have too much trouble in 5th gear by lightly applying gas, but it varies from time to time! Sometimes the car picks up speed immediately after applying throttle, and sometimes it doesn't want to move. Thats probably when I'm mashing the throttle :|

I have another burning question, how quick is the throttle response from a stand-still? Does the engine rev more quickly? As of right now, I come close to stalling out all the time because I touch the gas pedal and get no response and I'll slowly let off on the clutch at the same time and consequently the engine just bogs down. Its embarrassing to say the least. I've get to rev it 3 or 4 times just to be able to take off because the revs dont come when I want them to, and the car still manages to hesitate slightly....ughh i can't wait for this piece.

Also Gee-otto, where did you mount your control switch?

Yeah usually if I'm cruising at speeds upward of 65+, I don't have too much trouble in 5th gear by lightly applying gas, but it varies from time to time! Sometimes the car picks up speed immediately after applying throttle, and sometimes it doesn't want to move. Thats probably when I'm mashing the throttle :|

I have another burning question, how quick is the throttle response from a stand-still? Does the engine rev more quickly? As of right now, I come close to stalling out all the time because I touch the gas pedal and get no response and I'll slowly let off on the clutch at the same time and consequently the engine just bogs down. Its embarrassing to say the least. I've get to rev it 3 or 4 times just to be able to take off because the revs dont come when I want them to, and the car still manages to hesitate slightly....ughh i can't wait for this piece.

Also Gee-otto, where did you mount your control switch?

That is the control module it is placed under my steering column

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182/GEE-OTTO/unit.jpg

This is the interface where you change modes etc it is mounted above the volume knob all the wires are tucked under the shroud that covers the bottom of the dash where the OBDII connector is.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182/GEE-OTTO/unit1.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182/GEE-OTTO/unit2.jpg

it is a very neat install and i tried to make it look like it belong as much as possible and it really does fit well

Is it me or does this type of product seem really.. I mean REALLY silly. I'm surprised so many are taking this seriously. In the old days (like prior to say 2005 or so), one could effectively modulate gas mileage effectively by the right foot. Want more mileage? Never give more than 15% throttle or exceed speed limit. Want more power? Floor it. Those were the simple days.

Now, thanks to this, you can reach over with your hand, switch to "ECO" then floor it and slowly accelerate. Brilliant. Not only that, but you pay hundreds of dollars and tap into the electronics of the car for the benefit?! What the hell I don't get it.

The thing can't help increase performance (acceleration) and can only help you save gas by interrupting your dumb foot's intentions. Even for those with dumb feet, how many years would you have to use this to recoup your investment into this device so save your 50 cents per gas tank?

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

I am officially completely distracted from my essay.

Now, this may be a stupid question, but can it be easily removed (ie warranty issues)?

Are there any adverse effects to forcing the throttle open early on in pedal depression?

Any adverse effects overall?

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

Let me speak for actual legacy experience this thing took 11 mins to install unplug one connector plug in the inline harness plug in power connector to OBDII port plug in modules connections ( 2 of them) this thing is ready to go. Uninstall is a BREEZE. If you cant install this thing you should be driving :lol: j/k but yes it can be put in and taken out in minutes

Is it me or does this type of product seem really.. I mean REALLY silly. I'm surprised so many are taking this seriously. In the old days (like prior to say 2005 or so), one could effectively modulate gas mileage effectively by the right foot. Want more mileage? Never give more than 15% throttle or exceed speed limit. Want more power? Floor it. Those were the simple days.

Now, thanks to this, you can reach over with your hand, switch to "ECO" then floor it and slowly accelerate. Brilliant. Not only that, but you pay hundreds of dollars and tap into the electronics of the car for the benefit?! What the hell I don't get it.

The thing can't help increase performance (acceleration) and can only help you save gas by interrupting your dumb foot's intentions. Even for those with dumb feet, how many years would you have to use this to recoup your investment into this device so save your 50 cents per gas tank?

Whats your point not that we care :cool:?

I think his point was basically that every automobile made in the last 100 years already comes with an infinitely-variable control for engine output. From zero to 100% power, you have direct and instant control over how much you get and when you get it.

Want more power? Push the pedal more. Want less power? Push the pedal less. Want power sooner? Move you foot down farther and more quickly. Better economy? Don't accelerate as quickly. Not exactly rocket science here.

Maybe people have spastic feet and can't control the pedal -- I don't know. Subaru's "Sigh drive" is just as useless.

Yes you've got it! That's the whole point...when we touch the gas pedal, the car has to think about it for a few seconds, then proceed to rev. Its really aggravating when you need to rev up with a MT. If this product is going to alleviate that issue, I'm all for it. Also, stomping the gas does not equal more power in our case. We want a more responsive throttle(unless you want ECO mode, but I doubt ill use it).

Not sure that's a good idea, rao. What if the guy that has to use "eco" mode (lead-foot that can't figure out how to get good mileage) shares his settings with a guy that has to use "sport" mode (trouble pushing the pedal all the way down and/or quickly).

Can it be set up to deliver a small shock if you floor it in "eco" mode? I had this dog named Pavlov one time and man was he smart.

Seriously why do you waste time being so negative? No body is preaching power gains NO ONE EXPECTS THEM!!!!!!! It would be nice if you got back on topic and stop hijacking to spew your pathetic points that we don't give a shit about. honestly. ;)

This is a thread to discuss my results and give feedback about this device if you want to talk negative PM me:mad:

Community Standards:

5. Please stay on topic with your posts. If you want to say something that is not relevant to the post you are reading, this is a good reason to start a new thread. Mods are instructed to monitor for off-topic (OT) posts and get them back on track. Doing this shows respect for the members who posted the original thread - no hijacks please.

Personally, I think that's because in GT model, it is very easy to get tons of power by mechanical modification. So they don't care about throttle responses.

It's like talking to a guy w/1000hp+ muscle dragracing car about how your suspension and chassis setup on your RWD RX7. They can't feel it.

Panson

That just about sums it up. Its definitely a small tweak, but I'm willing to bet that if any of these guys were to get in my car, the initial lag in the throttle will be noticed immediately. Matter o' fact, I was in a situation today where I needed to merge into traffic swiftly, and when I stepped on the throttle/let off the clutch to launch, the car just bogged down D: It something I didn't expect to happen due to the lag in throttle response, but it happens regularly. I also think I'm prematurely wearing out the clutch.

People with 2.5is have been complaining about this for years. Some were able to reflash the ECUs to solve the issue, while most of us were left to deal with it. No longer will that be the case, thanks to these guys.

New day new feedback:

SP mode levels 5-7 are sooooo much fun for high speed quick acceleration situations i.e. on ramps, pulling into highway traffic. They make quick shifts very smooth.

Eco mode is really good on the highway esp on level the throttle responds really slow so you never get a gas guzzler effect.

Things to note:

SP mode levels 4 and above aren't very good in low speed situations they make the throttle really jumpy.

Eco mode levels 3-5 aren't recommended for low speed as well, as they lag the throttle so much you may stall it at a light.

I have really been enjoying SP7 mode ALOT!

Hmm I see a bit thinking that reminds me of my own thoughts. When I was first getting into modifying cars I figured an engine that is N/A can only ingest so much air so opening the throttle more or faster does nothing.

Then I talked myself into going from a 55mm throttle body on my volvo 744 16v to a 65mm throttle body. I was fairly certain it would do something good, but had to find out for myself. What it did was made the throttle much much more responsive. Much like putting a pumper carb on a dirt bike that had a constant velocity carb or wrapping some extra pvc around the throttle cam so the throttle opens faster. Throttle response is right now. While total power output isn't improved, the increased response makes for much more amusing driving.

I figure the eco mode might be good when I'm in the woods climbing snowy trails and trying to control wheel spin on a manual outback with no traction control. We'll see how it all turns out, I'll be ordering one. In reality it's a pretty cheap way to get some more amusement.

Hmm I see a bit thinking that reminds me of my own thoughts. When I was first getting into modifying cars I figured an engine that is N/A can only ingest so much air so opening the throttle more or faster does nothing.

Then I talked myself into going from a 55mm throttle body on my volvo 744 16v to a 65mm throttle body. I was fairly certain it would do something good, but had to find out for myself. What it did was made the throttle much much more responsive. Much like putting a pumper carb on a dirt bike that had a constant velocity carb or wrapping some extra pvc around the throttle cam so the throttle opens faster. Throttle response is right now. While total power output isn't improved, the increased response makes for much more amusing driving.

I figure the eco mode might be good when I'm in the woods climbing snowy trails and trying to control wheel spin on a manual outback with no traction control. We'll see how it all turns out, I'll be ordering one. In reality it's a pretty cheap way to get some more amusement.

If you are looking to buy it join the group buy. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123318&page=2

mmmmmmmm well for the price this is not to bad. The only thing i am wondering about is why? I mean I have the 4EAT of course. I have a sport mode and it seems to work very well. I just kinda want to know why i would need two sport modes on the car? Also I just got done with a 2 hour back road sprint with about 45 subies, I ran in sport mode and the pedal feel was very good. It was holding the same gear like a MT tranny and the speed was great. Also why would a 5MT car need it? I know it supposed to take away the lag and the this and that. I guess i just still need more information. :confused:

GEE-otto can you post some vids of this and you driving?:)

Hey pansontw, do you have any testing vids or anything?

mmmmmmmm well for the price this is not to bad. The only thing i am wondering about is why? I mean I have the 4EAT of course. I have a sport mode and it seems to work very well. I just kinda want to know why i would need two sport modes on the car? Also I just got done with a 2 hour back road sprint with about 45 subies, I ran in sport mode and the pedal feel was very good. It was holding the same gear like a MT tranny and the speed was great. Also why would a 5MT car need it? I know it supposed to take away the lag and the this and that. I guess i just still need more information. :confused:

GEE-otto can you post some vids of this and you driving?:)

Hey pansontw, do you have any testing vids or anything?

I would say this is more for the people that do not have SI-drive on their legacies. This device for 5MT guys will smooth out the throttle and help with top end response. I will get some driving videos up soon however it is hard to see the difference you really have to feel the difference :eek::wub::);):lol::p:spin::dm:

Archived