LegacyGT.com

mystery squeak NEED HELP!!

Ok so I have a 1998 legacy gt automatic with a 2.2L (changed over the life of the car). I got the car back in June, and started noticing a squeak around mid-July or so when the car is at idle in either reverse or drive (under some load), and when the car is up to temperature after about 10 mins of driving. I'm going to check the transmission fluid tomorrow, but I just did a timing belt/water pump/tensioner job on the engine today, expecting it to be a bearing problem with one of those three items (a local shop pinpointed the noise to behind the crankcase, but that may not be the case). But, just my luck, the squeak continues. I'm tired and angry and want to find answers because a stupid squeak shouldn't be this much of a job! Any ideas/thoughts/similar issues??

and for any that checked the 98-04 forum sorry about this...I'm still new to Subaru and haven't really figured out where my legacy's body type falls under :(

Pretty constant at idle, reacts to engine speed, but isn't noticeable in the higher rpm range. I tried taking off the accessory belts the other day but the squeak was only reduced, so it's got to be just a problem under load (bearing maybe?).

Where are the engine mounts/dogbone brace, and would they squeak obnoxiously if there was a problem with them?

we have the issue with are manual.. the throwout bearing return spring needs replaced.. not sure what is causing yours.. might check motor mounts or trans mount

i think i know what your talking about, im on my 3rd throw out bearing in 6 months, you think its tyhe return spring? the shop that did my clutch just keeps replacing the bearing (for free) maybe ill take it back to them and see if they will do that for me. or ill just do it myself if they wont do it for free again

engine mounts are under the engine and attaches the motor to the frame. Rubber on steel plate to isolate vibration.

Dogbone is on the firewall behinmd the air box, once you move the box, you'll see it.

Keeps the twisting motion of the boxer under control.

Without hearing it personally, hard to diagnose the source.

These are things to rule out.

O.

I got to check the motor mounts then when I get home and transmission. Does it make sense that this type of sound happens only at temperature though?

I wish I had a manual now :p it sounds like such a simple fix...how involved would replacing motor/transmission mounts be?

You have to single out the source before you go replacing things.

If the car makes the squeak when the motor is running, but not moving, then these are possibilities. To narrow it down, you need to get the car up on stands and start it and let someone else push the throttle to try to home in on the source.

Dog bone replacement is a breeze. Engine mounts are not as easy, you have to raise the engine enough to clear the studs that mount the engine to the crossmember.unbolt the mounts then remove.

You have to remove the radiator, fans and and radiator support brackets.

Be careful if you do this to make sure that the coolantsystem is "burped" properly to prevent airlock.

Do search for various ways to do this.

O.

See that's just the problem though...maybe this isn't a forum question because we cannot/it's been a real bitch locate the sqeak. After the source has been found it won't be that tough to ask questions about replacement, but beforehand is where we're having this roadblock. I've had it up on ramps 3 times, a lift once, and more than a dozen people have looked/ran/listened to the car when it's been squeaking. I've used a stethescope every time too, and tried when the car is in and out of gear and when the steering is turned. But neither myself or around 5 other certified mechanics (plus many other untrained ears) have been able to pinpoint the noise, which really really bugs me. That's why I'm reluctant to turn the car over to a shop, because I don't want to spend another $100 for some guys to not be able to find the location. Just wondering if anyone else has been through the same problem.

I talked to a guy today about the squeak and he said to bring him the car. He deemed it a vacuum hose problem because there's a squeak coming from the car (drawn out for a bit) after the engine has been shut off. So now I gotta figure out the whole vacuum hose routing in the engine bay...any suggestions?

Do you have cruise control? If you do check the vacuum box that controls the throttle position. On my car it was making a buzzing noise and only happened when the RPM's got higher, and the car was in gear. It sounded like it was coming from the cluster and the dash. Hit the unit with your hand, you'll hear a buzzing noise from it if that's what the problem is.

Cheers!

Yep have cruise control, but it isn't buzzing when the RPM's climb. I looked at every single hose the other day, but after doing some replacement of old or missing hose clamps, the problem still persists. So I went under AGAIN and found the noise at the uncovered gear where the transmission meets the engine (I'm pretty sure it's the flywheel).

Is there a bearing at some point around there, and how easy would it be to get to? I know mine isn't a 5-speed, but it kind of reminds me of a throwout bearing haha.

Archived