LegacyGT.com

Driving School w/the Legacy

dsmith

Hey all,

I went to a driving school yesterday held by a local club here in Portland, OR called Cascade Sports Car Club. We did four 20 minute sessions around Portland International Raceway with an instructor in the passenger seat the whole day. There was also a four hour classroom session on Friday night to go over car control dynamics, flags, safety, etc.

The Legacy did great! I have a PDXTuning reflash with a Perrin downpipe and uppipe. It was raining for both of the morning sessions, the first afternoon session was just wet, and the last session was mostly dry. I was passing people left and right on the straights, and pulling away from them in the corners (stock suspension and tires). I didn't get passed once all day. For that matter, I never even saw anyone hanging near me!

It was my very first time driving around a track, and I'm sure it won't be the last! :D

Doug

They should have tracks around and near Denver..track days are around $150 to $250 a day that are hosted by the local racing school for the day or weekend... or join a local car club (I joined the MazdaDrivers, BMW, and Audi club) to get a 2-day and 3-day event for a lot cheaper per seat time.

Typical Novice first days with the rain is where you want to take it nice and easy.. just becareful of the tires.. I am sure that your instructor did tell you about how easy it is to overdrive a street tire as they will screech or understeer as you exceed their limits.

Keefe

Keefe

Yeah, the tires definitely leave a lot to be desired, but I wanted to run the track with stock components first so I could determine what areas need improving first. I did get sideways once, but I caught it. :D When it was really wet in the morning, we were all taking it easy. I was glad that we finally got a chance to push it a little more in the afternoon though.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...
It was raining for both of the morning sessions, the first afternoon session was just wet, and the last session was mostly dry. I was passing people left and right on the straights, and pulling away from them in the corners (stock suspension and tires). I didn't get passed once all day. For that matter, I never even saw anyone hanging near me!

I did a track event at Watkins Glen two years ago, and it poured on the first of the two days I was there. In the Intermediate run group and in my piddling 2000 VW Passat 4MOTION (chipped, so I had maybe 200HP @ 3600 lbs weight), I was passing E30 BMW M3s and a C4 Corvette. The looks on their faces were priceless. :D

Andy

Andy :) | My Whips :redface:

I did a similar thing at Sebring International Raceway with Chin Motorsports. Man it was awesome! I'm glad I had the stock tires, though - they really tell you how you're driving, versus track tires that cover up your mistakes.

I wish I could say I didn't get passed, but I was sharing the track with race cars running for cheap track time. 800hp vipers, Ferraris, a TON of Porche GT3s and those little open wheel hondas.

Archived