LegacyGT.com

New engine for 1993 Legacy

Hello to all! I just received a 1993 Subaru Legacy Wagon, and was wondering what engines were compatible with the original transmision? I would like to shoot for a WRX engine, but will throw a stoker in any engine. ; )

I have owned a '70 Chevelle, Jeep Cherokee, Chevy Malibu, Ford Probe, and Kawasaki Ninja, and did all the maintenance and upgrades myself. I am very excited to become a member of the Subaru Family. As far as the interior, I plan on putting a hidden sound system in it, and hopefully a car PC. Thank you for your time!

Welcome. Any EJ series engine will bolt up to your transmission.

However...there is always a however, 90-94 Legacy and 93-95 Impreza engines are OBDI, and newer engines are OBDII. So you'd run into some complications if you were to swap a newer engine into your OBDI car.

There are companies which specialize in merging ECU's, and you may want to ask them their opinion on doing a service such as that. IMO, if you have the money, having someone do this for you saves a lot of headaches.

Oh that's great! Thank you very much! I just read about OBDI and OBDII. That's great info! Ok, one last question for the experts before I go googling: What body parts are transferable to the '93 Legacy, and where can I pick up one of those really cool hoods with the air scoops on the sides?

The hood scoop is available on the RS models, most common in Japan.

Any 1990-1994 Legacy will have the same body panels. After 1990 the grill and the front plastic trim pieces became different. They still fit (With the exception of the headlights I think), they just look different. after 1990 the tail lights changed considerably. After 1992 the sedan tail lights had orange turn signal lenses rather than clear. All vehicles had a pinstripe that ran the full length of the car, but wagon models had the pinstripe lowered about 2 inches to make the car seem lower and longer, so even if you find a fender in good condition from a sedan with matching paint, you will still need to remove the pin stripe if you want it to match. Personally, I wouldn't worry about these differences, since it's hard to come by one of these cars nowadays. Last one I saw in the junkyard was a 1994 4WD wagon with no body damage at all, but somehow the airbags were deployed. It was a shame, that car had the air suspension and everything. I almost wanted to buy it to fix it up, but it would've been a huge headache.

Archived