LegacyGT.com

3K RPM Shudder (not the stuttering)

Curious if anyone else has noticed this subtle issue - I wouldn't call it a problem.

Almost everyday during normal driving conditions, I notice that my LGT 5MT will experience a "shudder" during mild acceleration begun while the engine is in the 3,000 to 3,500 RPM range. It happens in both 4th & 5th gear.

This shudder is not the low speed, low RPM "stutter" that was all the talk during the early days of the Legacy.

This shudder feels like a momentary unsettling of the drivetrain. Akin to a harmonic vibration. It only lasts a mere moment. It feels similar to a "slip" or looseness in the drivetrain. It's the only time that my Legacy doesn't seem absolutely tight in the response between gas pedal push and car response. Again, I'm talking about a very subtle shimmy that a passenger or unfamiliar driver would probably never notice.

This does not happen under harder acceleration. It only happens when cruising a typical highway speeds (70-80 mph) that puts the RPM range around 3,500. Then when a slight amount of throttle is given for a leisure pass or something, I will feel this mild shudder.

Anybody else??:confused:

Yes.. I believe it is still related to the "stutter".. for more curiousness try cruising along with the engine in the 1-2k range, give it about 5% throttle, and let off completely.. *whoa* It's wierd.. It's all software problems....and please no one say the "engine doesn't like that" or something of that nature.. this car has like twice the torque my old car did in that range, it should work just fine.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=91769&postcount=41

I agree with Deer Killer. I have experienced what you are describing but I believe it is all part of the stutter...which I have maintained is NOT confined to low speed or low RPM.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

I understand what your saying is to blame the engine mgmt. I hope that's true because then it's not a mechanical (wear) problem that will get worse over time.

Seems that something in the "logic path" for engine mgmt just doesn't respond well to gentle acceleration. I guess I'll just have to punch it everytime!

Seems that something in the "logic path" for engine mgmt just doesn't respond well to gentle acceleration. I guess I'll just have to punch it everytime!

Yup.. I dropped my mpg by about 4, and I hardly ever stutter now. Watch subaru complain about abuse.. no, you _have_ to drive it this way..

Archived