LegacyGT.com

EJ22 Group!

I am going to rebuild an ej22 out of a 94 legacy l. The motor has 280,000 miles on it. Who makes the best rebuild kits. I am not looking to build a race motor. The stock power is more than ample for what I need it for. Any information is much appreciated.

^^^ probly cheaper to put another engine in or have one as a spare. just my .02 cents...

i sold an ej22 for 250 bucks with 75k on it.

i googled rebuild kits for subaru. heres what i found.

http://www.rpmrons.com/Subarukits1.html

Legacy, Impreza 1990-96 2212cc EJ22E engine

• 2.2L F.I. 16-valve SOHC H4 main kit EKSU9M $653.72 (exc. California)
  • 2.2L F.I. 16-valve SOHC H4 main kit EKSU9LM $680.23 (w/Cal. emissions)
  • 2.2L F.I. 16-valve SOHC H4 re-ring kit EKSU9R $403.80

If I were you I'd tear the motor apart, buy the main bearings, conrod bearings, .010 over pistons and rings, a new water pump, timing belt, timing idler pulley's, then send the block and heads out. Have the block bored .010 over and honed then get a 3 angle valve job on the heads. You might want to have them check to see if the valve guides are still good. New valves couldn't hurt either. While you're at it, you might want to replace a few other things like the cam position sensor, crank position sensor, O2 sensors, and any other cheap sensors. The TPS and MAF sensors are probably fine. Top it all off with new spark plugs and wires, a fuel filter, maybe fuel injectors, a coil if yours feels like its getting weak, and a good set of gaskets for everything and you're good to go for another 280K miles.

Or if you have measuring equipment you can get away with simply honing the cylinders in your garage, buying new rings, main bearings, and conrod bearings and assembling the block again with new gaskets. You just want to make sure that the bore of each cylinder isn't opened up too much, or you'll get the engine all built up and have piston slap within 100K miles. Then just put in the new water pump, timing belt, and timing idler pulley's and get it back on the road with new O2 sensors and spark plugs/wires. That would be the cheap route, but it would still be a good idea to get the heads done. Fuel injectors would be a wise investment too, even if you just sent yours out to get rebuilt.

I'm assuming you have the tools for this job, torque wrench's, piston ring expander/compressor, hone tool for drill, flywheel turner would be helpful.

Edited by Platinum_Racing

k not trying to take over this thread but i got an idea. Im a teenager in college and dont have a lot of money. i already have a 97 leg gt with lightweight pulley and intake, but it is an auto so im not going to bother doing anything else to it because it is not fast. But i was thinking about picking up a 2.2 impreza l like 1996 for $200 bucks. It needs new battery or altenator, says he doesnt know why its not starting, and new windshield and driver side window. so fix those up, then go at it. this is what im thinking

- 2.5 heads ported at a local head shop

- cams reground to race spec if i can, or just go mild

- borla headers and full exhaust

- intake of some sort

- either underdrive pulley kit, or just lightweight crank and pull the a/c and power steering

- then maybe gut interior depending how much i want the car race to streetable

that should be a good, fun, and relatively cheap build for my skill. what you guys think?

• 3 weeks later...
I got a 95' legacy sedan with the ej22 and i have squeezed just about all of the power out of it i can. I was considering doing a swap but what i want to know is what engine would be best to swap in considering hp and torque potential of the new engine, difficulty of the swap etc.... I was looking mostly at the U.S sti engine ej257 but im not sure

• 4 weeks later...
Hey i have a 97 legacy that I rally. I am running the stock ej22 with about 300,000km on it I am planning a full rebuild on it this year. Sooooooooooo anywayI would like to get some more power out of it while still staying in the na group. I have ej25 heads and intake manifold. I don't know about the gains that I may or may not see out of this set up. I have heard of guys getting better power out of cams but don't know where to get cams for the ej22. any ideas? The car does not need to have any street legal things in mind as it is a race car that does not see the road on any kind of regular basis.

1996 2.2 single port - I decided to improve the intake since I already did the exhaust side, (MS3 uel header, "Hogzaust"). I found an old Option Racing 3" short ram for '97 to '01 Imprezas online for cheap. I then hack-sawed it and joined the pieces together with 3" flexible silicone couplers, (it came with the required 3" to 2.75" reducer for intake manifold attachment). It runs in a big smooth loop directly to the MAF unit and stock airbox, I think that the panel air filter will flow more than enough air, and I didn't want any dead spots or engine codes. - To make a long story short, with this intake/exhaust combo, plus a 1lb. crank pulley and a good tune, this lightweight Legacy flies! - I got the hybrid intake idea on NASIOC.

Only problem is you would have to put it in an OBDI car, since the EJ22T was only available until 1994, one year before Subaru made the OBDII switch.

my 99 legacy is has an EJ22 in it. It is deffinately OBD II though. what do you mean exactly?

the best thing for all you guys new to the subaru engine and its design should read here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine#EJ22E

all the info u need is here. also click on the blue highlighted words to learn more.

when it comes to swapping. A subaru is like legos. any drivetrain part will fit from 89 to present. some parts will need small amounts of frabrication from different model years but mainly engine, trans, and rears will bolt in.

• 11 years later...
Have to rebuild my ej22 that i just got didnt even get to drive it yet put a water pump thermostat. And timming belt double checked timming marks all good so next went to check compression zero on three. Cylinders so took the head off and as infeared valves were ran into the pistons . so am looking for a complete engine rebuild kit anyone know were you get one?