LegacyGT.com

Fuel pump problem car won't start. Help me please.

moe pedd

Hi, I'm a new comer here. I own a 97 Subaru Legacy. I'm having a weird problem with the fuel pump I think. The car runs great except sometime it just won't start. It often fixes itself in a couple hours. Sometime it just leaves me stranded. Whenever I take it to a shop they can find nothing wrong. Now when it is working I can hear the fuel pump start in the rear for a second when I turn the key to the first click. If it is not going to start that sound is not there.

I replaced the fuel pump and it worked great for a couple weeks. It recently broke down again. Towed it to the shop and the mechanic started it right up as usual. He went out several times and could not get it to fail. This happens every time I try to get it repaired.

Anybody else had this problem or can suggest a solution. I have been thinking maybe there is a crash switch that stops the fuel pump from working after a crash. Or maybe a shut off that tells the pump when it is no longer needed. This is driving me even crazier. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks John

That can happen.

Sometimes the motor inside the fuel pump can experience dead spots, spots in which the motor cannot start itself from. My Nissan had that problem. If you slammed the door or hood hard enough in anger it would vibrate the motor just enough to get it spinning again. It's all luck of the draw, if the motor stops in the dead spot then it won't start again. If it stops outside of its dead spot it will function like normal. The thing is, as time goes on motors with one dead spot will acquire 2 dead spots, then 3, or the existing deadspot will grow until the entire motor will be almost one big dead spot. Had this problem with a 1992 GMC Safari and a 1990 Cummins Turbo Diesel. Rebuilding the starter motor in the diesel made the motor work fine for a couple months (I cleaned the comm, lubed the bearings, and replaced the brushes) but after that the dead spots came back again.

My Nissan had that problem. If you slammed the door or hood hard enough in anger it would vibrate the motor just enough to get it spinning again.

HAHA, that's really funny. Sounds like my laptop you have to hit to make the keyboard work...

• 2 weeks later...
I just want to thank everyone for all the suggestions. Finally found the problem (I hope). If we wiggled the fuel pump relay we could make it not start. Going the clean the connections and get another relay just in case. We had taken the relay out and replaced in once but it appears to be just the connection. When we are finished, I plan to get pissed off and slam the hood just to be certain I did it right. Thanks again. John

• 6 years later...

Bumpy bump...

I'm having an issue with 05' and I've narrowed it down to fuel pump. Just want to figure out if it's bad fuel pump or electical issue. It's modified fuel pump. Has bigger injectors. I filed down plastic housing to make it fit. Sort of like the videos on youtube and the other pics on this forum. I towed down an enclosed trailer with couple motorcycles about 1100 miles. 65 Suzuki trail bike fort those that are into bikes. She was fairly solid. She kicked a cel light right before I was about to head out but eventually went away. Just topped off coolant and oil before I left. Last night (48 hours after the drive back and hauling 2 more loads around town) I was pulling into my place last night and she started idling sketchy. Eventually stalled out. Cycled key and no more fuel. Had over 1/8. Added 2 gallons and determined fuel was not being sent at all. Ripped out back seat. Standard procedure to get to the pump... my buddy beat on top with back of hammer and I heard that beautiful sound of the pump engaged. Drove about 200 feet and she crapped out on me. I do have a brick road in mu neighborhood so maybe electrical connection is the issue? Something loose disconnected? Any advice thoughts guidance is highly appreciated. I have Cobb access port their 1st model ever.

Old school...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160918/49f396cf3bffb6511bfe25c789c1ab40.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Archived