LegacyGT.com

bike racks

jksu

what do you all use for bike racks? rooftop? on my 95 legacy wagon i got ykaima might mounts with ankebiters racks so that i could have the bikes face forward and still open the trunk.

worked okay until i was stupid and ran into an overhang... bike and rack were wrecked pretty bad.

now i have an 05 legacy wagon. do i got with the same setup? i'd prefer fork mount (more sturdy than anklebiters) but with my 58cm road and 19" mtn bikes i'm sure i'm sure the rear hatch/spoiler will hit the rear tire.

i've heard using loadwarrior might get enough height to clear the rear hatch (plus the added storage space up there). anyone have pics of this setup and success with it?

anyone use fork mount racks on their subaru's? do you just live with not being able to open yoru hatch all the way wehn the bikes are up there?

john

I've been using a Yakima rack with Rail Rider towers. I just recently took it off b/c of wind noise and gas mileage. My sunroof was basically useless with the rack installed. I'm considering adding a hitch and buying a Yakima (Hookup) or Saris (Cycle-on) system that holds the tire NOT the frame. I really never considered one until I saw a guy get out of his car, take the bike off, and ride. It was a pretty slick setup. Plus, it's easy to take on and off, and won't kill aerodynamics. Although nothing looks better than a Subaru with a roof rack full of bikes! Oh, I'll also be able to take 4 bikes easier now, two on top, and two on back.

I didn't have a problem with the rear bike tire hitting the spoiler when the liftgate was opened.

I bought a yakima raptor to use with the factory crossbars. Take the tabs out of the snaparounds to use with the square crossbars, and you’re all set. The hatch opens up without hitting the bike. While the frame mount is not as rigid as a fork mount, if you install it properly with the lock cores, it won’t fly off. I try to stick to the speed limits with the bike on the roof. I only put it on when I go riding.

I have the Thule setup on my 05 wagon with fork mount bike trays. Easy on and off for both the bikes and the cross bars - I like the setup. I don't think I've had a really large bike up there (don't know the sizes off the top of my head) but with both my road and mountain bikes the rear wheel didn't seem to come close to hitting the wing on the hatch. I've heard some folks say that can be an issue with a roof box.

Roof rack made sense for me - despite the aerodynamic penalty - since I also needed a solution for a kayak. I do watch out for low overhangs and I put the garage door opener in the glove box when I have bikes on the roof.

Archived