LegacyGT.com

Front suspension weird sound

fbi012

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had the low speed, turning over small bumps or into driveway steering rattle since day one on my 2005 OBXT.

Made an appointment to have the dealer look into it on Monday, but was told that this is "what all Subarus do, totally normal". I was told that it has to do with the all-wheel-drive system and that rattles and noises during low speed turns are the way it is supposed to be.

Seems odd to me so I want them to go over the bushings, ends links and other front end parts to see if it all looks normal. I will report back next week after I get the car home.

I kinda have the same problem on my '06 GT:( . when i turn at slow speeds and hit the smallest little bump i can feel a really annoying shake in the steering wheel and sound coming from the front wheels....almost feels like the whole front end has a bunch of loose bolts...its actually quite annoying and i went to dealership cause of slight pull to right ...that was fixed :icon_tong but they said they couldnt reproduce the feel/noise that i complained about...when i pulled of the lot i could reproduce it once again and it happens 90% of the time when i hit little bumps or speed bumps..any bump really.....i need to bring it back and go with them on drive to reproduce but havent had time to do that....Anybody know what it might be??:)

+1 I have the same noise when turning and going over a small bump

Dropped my car off at the dealer for service today and one of the issues for them to look into is this clunk in steering/front end. I described it, but did not take a ride with the service guy to show him. We'll see what they do.

The loaner car they gave me is a standard '05 Outback and it makes the same clunk while that my OBXT makes, in fact it is MUCH louder than on my car.

Seems really cheesy that Subaru has not addressed this issue at the factory. Makes the car feel like a cheap tin can.

I get this problem also. The other problem I have is that the drivers side front wheel seems to bounce like my shock is bad when I hit any bumps. It feels like it is dribbling down the road. Anyone have this at all?

I get this problem also. The other problem I have is that the drivers side front wheel seems to bounce like my shock is bad when I hit any bumps. It feels like it is dribbling down the road. Anyone have this at all?

how can you tell if you have that problem?

Picked up my OBXT tonight after having in at the dealer to look into the problem and... No fix. The replaced the strut mount on the drivers side, but if anything the clunk/rattle/steering slop is as bad as ever.

This is just a Subaru quirk I suppose, nobody seems to have a fix or a mod to clear it up. Too bad because it make a fine little car feel like a go kart about to fly apart when you hit the bumpy stuff. Booooooo. :iam:

how can you tell if you have that problem?

Turn right or left at 10 miles per hour or more into a driveway with a small lip or over some bumpy dirt and you will hear and feel a rattle in the front end. It vibrates through the steering and you can hear it. From what I have read on other forums, just about all Subies do it.

My guess is that it has something to do with the all wheel drive system, others say it's the steering rack. Subaru was supposed to have fixed it with the redesigned Legacy in 2005, but I am here to tell you that they did not even come close.

Turn right or left at 10 miles per hour or more into a driveway with a small lip or over some bumpy dirt and you will hear and feel a rattle in the front end. It vibrates through the steering and you can hear it. From what I have read on other forums, just about all Subies do it.

My guess is that it has something to do with the all wheel drive system, others say it's the steering rack. Subaru was supposed to have fixed it with the redesigned Legacy in 2005, but I am here to tell you that they did not even come close.

Thanks, but I was actually asking JOSHMAN about his other problem - something that he feels like his shock/strut is bad.

Regarding this problem, thank God, I haven't heard it on my LGT, because I just HATE noises like that. I do hate Subaru's serivce, they never fix anything you tell 'em to fix, and I bought extended warranty and I ask myself 'do I really need it?' because, right now car is under factory warranty and they're not even fixing anything on it...why did I buy ext. warranty then?

I was thinking calling Subaru and asking for my money back...should I?

Same sound just developed in my car and i'm not surprised. Why not? I've only owned the car since November (6,182 miles now) and it's been in the shop for something or other 9 times now and is headed back for number 10 Monday morning. The A/C keeps losing the charge (twice now) and won't cool. How many stinking A/C o-rings are there on these cars? Oh and the hood still needs repainting from the damage they did to it while it was in service.

--Rant off--

As an update, I was the victim of questionable assembly at SOA...I had loose bolts on the front suspension stiffener. Put it in the shop for that and the everpresent A/C losing freon and they fixed both, no more nasty sounds from the front suspension and the A/C cools, but for how long? Anyway, hope this helps, pm me if anyone wants specifics.

j

As an update, I was the victim of questionable assembly at SOA...I had loose bolts on the front suspension stiffener. Put it in the shop for that and the everpresent A/C losing freon and they fixed both, no more nasty sounds from the front suspension and the A/C cools, but for how long? Anyway, hope this helps, pm me if anyone wants specifics.

j

By "front suspension stiffener" do you mean front H bracket? If not, please explain.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I had read alot of posts about a clunking noise in the front of the car. Mine was quiet until about 1500 miles and then started to make clunk sounds when going over small road imperfections. After trying to figure it out for 2 weeks I took it into the dealership. Turns out the front swaybar mount on the drivers side was loose. They tightened it up and now no more Clunk.... Well just see how long that lasts :-):)

i am not sure if this thread is about a clunk or a creak. i have the creaking noise when going over bumps at slow speed or when i accelerate from a stop. but i seem to be the only one getting the noise from the rear suspension, not the front. both struts and strut mounts were replaced by the dealer but the noise is still there. so is this bushings? what do i tell the dealer when i go in next time? replace the bushings in the rear suspension?

i am not sure if this thread is about a clunk or a creak. i have the creaking noise when going over bumps at slow speed or when i accelerate from a stop. but i seem to be the only one getting the noise from the rear suspension, not the front. both struts and strut mounts were replaced by the dealer but the noise is still there. so is this bushings? what do i tell the dealer when i go in next time? replace the bushings in the rear suspension?

I have the same noise but in the front (Mostly right side but i tend to hear left every once in awhile). At first I thought it was the dash rattle but now it seems that it may be suspension related. I'm thinking either the sways need to be tightened or something else. IT IS SO ANNOYING I will bring it in when i get back from vacation. I love everything about the car except for this. But it does drive me crazy. Accelerating slowing creak creak, and turning slowly creakkkkkk. :icon_surp

I can't figure out how to use the NHTSA site anymore, but I swore, just last week, I saw a TSB for suspension issues on the Legacys.

If only they would release one for all the rattles!

Actually, here it is:

Technical Service Bulletins Summary

Make: SUBARU Model: LEGACY Year: 2006 Type: PASSENGER CAR Service Bulletin Number: 05012006 NHTSA Item Number: 10020022 Summary Description: FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS. *TT

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally brought my car in to get checked for the noise. They replaced my 2 front struts and took it for a ride. Not fixed. It was the rear drivers side. Was shot to hell with no give at all. The car rides new now and I got a new set of wipers to boot.

I talked to a friend of mine that has a sedan and he had the same problem. Crappy struts.

I can't figure out how to use the NHTSA site anymore, but I swore, just last week, I saw a TSB for suspension issues on the Legacys.

If only they would release one for all the rattles!

Actually, here it is:

Technical Service Bulletins Summary

Make: SUBARU Model: LEGACY Year: 2006 Type: PASSENGER CAR Service Bulletin Number: 05012006 NHTSA Item Number: 10020022 Summary Description: FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS. *TT

Anybody have a link or other info for this full TSB? Curious to know what is says to see if it applies.

I have the same problem as well, I'm in Saudi Arabia and my '06 3.0R does make a weird noise when going over bumps at low speeds. I only have 600 Km on the odometer. I will either try and get under the car and see whats might be the problem or wait for the bozos at the dealership to tell me there's nothing wrong with it. And my car rolled off Fuji industries 12/05

As you may have read this is pretty much a design flaw in Subarus for ages. I had my 2005 in three times to the dealer and they cannot or will not fix the problem or even acknowledge it is anything other than "normal noises".

One of the loaner cars I had was a 2005 Forester and it did not make this noise at all, and I know how to test for it at this point. Just find a dirt or bumpy area and drive in slow circles. Legacy/Outback rattle like tin cans and can be felt and heard coming up through the steering column.

• 4 weeks later...
ok an update, dealer "as usual" didnt notice anything wrong. however, I do notice that the sound goes away all together if I drive around for 5-10 minutes. I only hear it when I first start driving even after the car has warmed up. Any ideas on what that might indicate?

WEll my sound was FIXED :) the car is silent now. Love the car even more. My noise was related to a loose cross member bolt around the steering rack. Might want to check that, bushings, or losse sway bar endlinks. good luck.

My '05 OBXT is in for it's 15k service. Driving a 06 Leggy loaner. As I have noticed with past Legacy/Outback loaner cars they ALL make the same steering/front end rattle when turning over rough surfaces.

As many people have mentioned this is a Subie design issue. It may be getting confused with problems that some folks have had with loose H-bracket bolts and clunking front and rear struts.

The issue that others (like myself) are having has no known cure. It is not related to loose bolts, struts, tophats, bushings, etc. Seems to be a design issue with the steering column and steering rack. That is one theory anyway.

All I know is that my car does it and so has every other 2005 and up Legacy/Outback that I have driven. Pretty shitty. :icon_evil

Archived