LegacyGT.com

LGT Limited Vs OB Sedan

Undo

This will be my first Subaru, but from the test drives and research, I am impressed. I have had BMW, Saab (never again), Toyota, etc.

I like the speed and acceleration of the GT, but I like the ride height and feel of the OB...I am truly stumped...

What are your thoughts?

Today I went to my local dealer to test drive an Outback Sedan which I was pretty sure I wanted. It was the third one I've driven, and I too was having trouble deciding between the OB and LGT. I like the height of the OB. It makes the car seem bigger and the cladding makes it seem more rugged. But I wasn't sure about the engine and the trans. Pros and cons on both sides. I really liked the OBS on my drive today. It ate up bumps and had plenty of power. I drove about 20 miles, and really put it through it's paces. I returned to the dealer pretty sure I wanted it. Then I asked for one more drive of a LGT to be sure. He offered me his personal drive, a 5-speed Manual. It took me only a short while to realize I couldn't be satisfied with the OBS's H-6 and Auto tranny. It's not that they are bad, they're not. They're very nice. But the GT is so eager to run, and silky smooth. I even decided I preferred the ride of the GT which felt like it enveloped me and just floated over the road whereas the OBS felt more like I was riding high on a tautly sprung wagon, smooth but crisp. The GT felt more like a car, a very refined sports sedan, and much more fun to drive than the OBS. I've been wrestling with this decision for months, but today I decided on the LGT Ltd. 5MT in Garnet Red, Taupe Interior and no spoiler. I should get it in a couple of days on dealer exchange. It has the Momo shift knob and I plan to add the Short Throw Shifter and Kartboy bushing. I'm coming from an STi and don't feel like I'm giving up much in the way of performance but am gaining tremendous improvement in ride comfort and refinement.

Drive both before you decide. If you're like me, it will take several drives of each. Both cars have much to offer, but I feel confident I made the right decision today for me. Good luck in your hunt.

Bob

My bro has the LLBean with the H-6. The H-6 is smooth but gutless down low. I guess it's all relative.....the LGT/XT has a ton of torque. I love the usefullness of the wagon, but if you are dead-set against it then you have a tough choice.

They really are 2 different beasts -- I too liked the height and look of the OB--what a blast to take it off road. But are you going to go off road?

The LGT will beat the OB hands down in a serious road handling competition (the OB also has an annoying rear dampening problem IMHO which makes it a little rough through the turns near it's limit, especially if there are any bumps).

If you are a road enthusist, a Mario Andredi at heart, and really like to put a car through its paces on the pavement, then the LGT is definitely the way to go. And by the way, as I can attest, it can crank great off road as long as there are no clearance issues (e.g. on a gravel road, the LGT has the same AWD abilities as the OB).

If you just want some decent handling (and the OB blows most other SUVs away) and a very quick car (it's pretty much as fast as the LGT), and want to go off road and have height, go with the OB.

I was set on the OB originally, but I'm a racer at heart--a good hard drive in the LGT and I couldn't resist. But that's just me.

I recently took my OBXT up a very slick, muddy, twisty road (Old Stage Coach for those of you in Colorado). I don't think a Legacy would fair nearly as well as the OB did, though my buddies 2.5rs did fine.

And by fair, I mean pushing the car to the absolute limits... car is so fun to slide around corners!

Certainly once you get rough roads (potholes, etc) or any clearance issues, the OB is the way to go and you probably should leave your LGT at home. On some test drives it was a blast to just go blazing down a rough 2 track--the clearance, softer suspension, and the higher sidewall tires make it great.

On the flip side, take em both around a highway on ramp at high speeds and the LGT will shine...it's all in what you want to do with the vehicle. I wish they made an outback with a button you pushed to lower it and dampen it for onroad--that would be the "dream" car :-)

Thanks for all the input you guys! LegacyGT is a great site. Because of this site I decided not to get an Acura TSX. You only need to read these boards and the TSX boards to know which crowd is for you.

Still digesting the info. I do venture into the desert every now and then, and I also go up into the snowy, snowy mountains every so often. I think I may be underestimating the LGT's abilities, though. It could probably keep up with what I would want it to do...

I don't need to be Schumacher, though. In fact, it might be a very bad thing for me to have a fast car. I have an old F-150 now, so anything is going to feel fast.

Another selling point in favor of the OB is the total obscurity of the car. No one else is going to have one in my area, which is a good thing in my opinion. If only the OBXT were available as a sedan...

Archived