LegacyGT.com

spec.B Shifting Question and Gear Noise

pmw

Hi, I traded my LGT 5EAT for a 09 spec.B. It’s been about 11 years since I have driven a manual (and that was a FWD Honda) so I am still shaking the rust out. I do have a couple questions. Feel free to point to threads. I searched and found some that touched on the issue but no direct answers.

1) From a stop going into first, what RPM do you release the clutch. I can crawl out at a very low rpm but I am usually at 1800-2000 (but very smooth) if I am at all trying to move the car at an everyday driving pace. Is this normal or am I burning up the clutch by not letting it out fast enough?

2) When costing in 1st and 2nd the gears are loud when the car is doing any amount of engine breaking. Not exactly a grinding noise but you hear the gears are meshing. It is much louder then I recall from my Honda. I stopped by the dealer and they said "normal." I have seen a few posts here that talked about this and it seems this is normal and due to the strait cuts of 1st and 2nd gear. Just want to do a current check if this is still the prevailing wisdom or if there are any new insights.

3) More theoretical question. Do clutches suffer from fade? For example if you drive in a way that slips the clutch I assume you are creating more friction which in turn will make the clutch hotter. As a clutch gets warmer does its ability to bind increase or decrease?

Clutches suffers from glazing, and that's a bad thing so you don't want to slip on the clutch too much. When the clutch is glazed it won't grip as it should and can start to slip when you put on power.

Any specific RPM to release the clutch - keep it low and slip as little as possible to avoid clutch wear/glazing.

As for the engine braking - don't worry. The gearbox is designed to be efficient when putting out power, so the tolerances don't match the same way when you do the engine braking which leads to some noise. And the gearbox position is different on a Subaru than on a FWD Honda. On a Subaru it has the "classic" position for a RWD car which is mostly under the engine compartment so any noise it makes is more noticeable.

453747.png

the grindingish noise is normal. After I switched in new tranny fluid (subaru extra s 75w90), the noise decreased, but didn't go away completely.

Starting in idle @ 900rpm, I release the clutch a little down to 500 while pushing the throttle down to minimize slipping. Takes some time getting used to, that's all.

Im not sure if you know this already or not, but im going to throw it at you anyways. 1st gear is only for taking off from a stop. do not use it to downshift. once the car is going, pop it into 2nd. only put it back into 1st if your at a complete stop. some noise is normal, however if your hearing a grind- you need to push the clutch down further.

Im not sure if you know this already or not, but im going to throw it at you anyways. 1st gear is only for taking off from a stop. do not use it to downshift. once the car is going, pop it into 2nd. only put it back into 1st if your at a complete stop. some noise is normal, however if your hearing a grind- you need to push the clutch down further.

Eh, you can downshift to 1st, if needed and speed is appropriate. Rarely needed, but perfectly fine when needed. You are repeating myths from the times where 1st was nonsynchronized.

Eh, you can downshift to 1st, if needed and speed is appropriate. Rarely needed, but perfectly fine when needed. You are repeating myths from the times where 1st was nonsynchronized.

yep i ride spec for this very reason. hard to hurt this box when driving properly.

1st is the best sideways gear

their is significant noise when coasting in gear, closed throttle. sounds like grinding...sounds like subaru.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear the coasting sound is normal. It's starting to grow on me. As for starting in first, I have been focusing on keeping the RPM's down and starting to get a better feel for it. Please keep the shifting advice coming.

PS: I found some good advice on the NASIOC shifting FAQ contianed in this FAQ compolation thread: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787.

--------------Is it bad form to reference another forum on this site?

when you start in first put the revs up to like 5500 and dump the clutch. It really keeps slipping to a min. :rolleyes:

Sounds like you are getting it. When i was learning i would go to an empty parking lot and play with the clutch. Try to get the car rolling without using the gas, you get a feel for the point that the clutch engages. Then once you find that point the whole idea is to minimize the time you are in between that point and when the pedal is full depressed. I hope that made sense.

The gear noise is normal but you do need to work on slipping the clutch less. You shouldn't be at 2k rpms leaving a light. The first manual I ever owned was an STi so I feel your pain. It takes a ton of practice to drive the car smoothly, nothing like a Honda.

• 11 years later...

Thread revival here, I recently did new transmission fluid, (motul).....

Noticed a little " noise" while shifting to each gear.

Kind of just a clunk. Engine off, car in the garage, very clunky shifting noise while laying under the car and watching the mechanical shifting action.... It's been very cold lately so that's what I'm thinking is making it loud enough to hear while driving.....?

I know these are always loud, but should this mechanical clunk be normal going into each gear? Should I go for the short throw shifter as an excuse to make it quiet?

Thanks

07 legacy spec b. ( Stock shifter)