LegacyGT.com

Smoked headlight covers installed

OCDetails

I got a set of smoked headlight covers from JINSU-POWER last week and I got a chance to install them today.

The install actually wasn't that bad. I've tinted windows and done a lot of vinyl graphics on cars before, so it was old hat. For a newbie it might be a little tricky. Whatever you do, don't try to install these dry. You need them to be a little wet so you can slide it around a bit. You will also need to use a hair dryer to get them to form around the bulge on the headlight. Just follow the instructions that you get with the kit and that should do it for you. Block out about an hour or so to do this if its your first time. 30-45 minutes tops if you know how to work with vinyl or tint.

Light output is affected quite a bit, I'm afraid. If you do a lot of night driving then I wouldn't suggest getting the smoked kit. I work from 9-5 mostly and don't spend a lot of time out at night. These look absolutely bad-ass smoked in the day, but the light output is much lower at night. Attached are some pictures. I've included a before from when I installed my HIDs. I took another picture parked in the same spot so you can see the difference. Same lights, same angle, different day and smoked covers. I think it pretty much tells the story. People will still be able to see you without a problem. Just don't expect them to act like they were clear.

Feel free to ask any questions. I really like these and can't wait to get some better pictures durring the day so you can see how good they look.

Edit: Damn dialup.... anyway, attaching the pictures isn't working out so well. So I made a photo album with the pictures. I'll get better quality pictures uploaded tomorrow when I can load them from work. Here is the album. I've got some before/after pictures and other shots in there too.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Here are a couple of pictures that are being temporarily hosted. You can see how the light is affected. The look durring the day (when I do 99% of my driving) is so worth the loss in light output at night. I'll take the covers off if my driving changes. I'll have to see what they look like with Halogen lights in. I'd like to think that the HIDs are more visible than halogens would be. It would suck to have spent nearly $300 on HIDs only to have them rendered less than useful by the covers. Oh well... I can always take the covers off.

Before with HIDs

http://tinypic.com/23ww1u

HIDs with smoked covers

http://tinypic.com/23wwgi

OCDETAILS BLOG

Who is going to know the difference? Do these look tinted? Besides, I don't suggest the smoked ones if you are going to be driving at night. These would be for people who drive mostly durring the day.

OCDETAILS BLOG

You don't have to remove the cover. The fogs were simple since there wasn't any curve really for the piece to conform to. Just center it and squeegie the water/alcohol solution out from underneath. Piece of cake.

I don't have an explanation for the beam pattern. That is just the way it is on mine. I don't know if the HIDs have anything to do with it or not, but I haven't changed anything in the angle of the headlights. My guess is that the driver side is pointed down just a little bit to save the vision of oncoming drivers.

OCDETAILS BLOG

aah. you learn something everyday. thanks.

i guess the next question is - is there a way to even then back out? ppl in MD don't care about leaving their highbeams on. the considerate ones only turn them off at the last minute (i.e. when they're passing you) at best.

To me, that is just way too much lost output to be safe.

(preach mode on) Imagine a situation where the lower illumination meant you lost reaction time and hit someone. You never know when something odd will happen, like someone stepping out of their car parked at the side of the highway. You hit them, insurance denies coverage, you are bankrupt, they are dead. (preach mode off).

Tom

Again, I wouldn't suggest doing this if you drive at night. Look at it as a car show modification or something. I don't drive at night, so it works out well for me. If you drive at night then get the clear headlight guards. Its probably not something that I am going to keep on the car very long. I like my HIDs. I wish these didn't block so much light, but oh well. Live and learn. They are really good looking in the day time when I do most of my driving.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I'll get some pictures today when I get home from work. Most of this project was done when the sun was setting yesterday and there wasn't much light left. This is the only angle I have right now. Its not a pretty picture, but I'll take a better one this afternoon. Maybe I'll go out and get a picture of it in the parking lot with my camera phone and see how crappy the quality is. lol

OCDETAILS BLOG

I think they would look better on your tail lights

And I agree. I'm hoping to do that next depending on how much of the light it blocks. I'll probably be upgrading the bulbs when I do that. I want my brake lights to show up in the day time more than I want my headlights to. I think a light tinting would look good though. I'm also curious to see what aftermarket lights come out for this car. Smoked lenses would definitely look hot.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Sounds fair. I like how they look in the day, but that light output is a lot more impaired than I would like I think. For the daytime driver or show car then I think they are incredible.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived