LegacyGT.com

HID Flicker when turned on

NasdTrader

Ok, hopefully this is my last post about these HID's!

So when I turn them on, instead of doing a progressive warm up from white to bright white/blue.. they kind of flicker a little and there is a little bit of orange in the flickers.. then towards then end it is a smooth progression. I've only been in one other car w/ HID's (audi TT) and it was a smooth progression the entire time. I'm not sure if this is normal, especially for aftermarket kits. I guess it could be a power fluctuation somehow.. possibly an indication that I need to upgrade the harness?

Make sure DRLs are disabled. Then check all your conections. Also, how cold is it outside? If it's 20 or lower, that could cause that and then don't worry about it. Do both left and right do this, or just one side. If it's both, I probably wouldn't worry about it and it's normal for the ballast and lamps you got.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

DRL's are disabled, and I went back to the connection and hard-wired it. It is about 50 degrees. Unfortunatly, it is only one side which is doing it, which makes me think it could be the ballast. The lights are fine once they have gone through their warm up, but I wonder if this could be an indication of something that could go wrong with the ballast in the future.

you don't have the latest gen ballasts do you...i have a gen 3 ballast that does that, and a gen 4 that replaced a failed gen 3 that is very progressive and perfect...my gen 3 also changes the color somewhat like you said at startup...it may be failing, but mine has been working for 2 years with flicker, etc...i have a full harness taking power straight from the battery, it isn't power related, it's a ballast issue...The gen3's were more "hardware" inside where as the gen4's have a a chip controlling the warmup/voltage draw/etc...

Hmm.. I'd like to answe that question! Where can I find out which generation my ballast is? They are pretty well situated right now, and I don't know if I can really get to one to inspect it if I have to look at numbers or something.

Archived