LegacyGT.com

2000 Legacy engine turns off while driving

My Sub has 120k on it and has a little problem. Sometimes it randomly turns off while I am stopped at a light or coming to a stop. The car turns itself off and then on again within the second without me doing anything. The car jsut turns itself back on without the starter turning over. Its kind of like the power goes out/flickers for a second. The RPMs go to 0 and the radio kicks off. Then it turns itself back on just like I would, all the lights come back on and then it acts normally. The first time it happened when I was stopped at a stop light for about 10 seconds. Then second, third, and fourth time while I was going less than 15 mph coming to a stop... but definitely while I was still moving.

Any ideas? It is strange.

im no mechanic...but...

you can run out of gas the the radio will still play.

IF the whole car...electric and gas is cutting out...i say main electrical power is cutting out.

for starters...how clean are the battery terminals and how snug are the cables? id start in that area.

Check that the fuses and fusible links are OK. It may be an oxide problem.

It sure seems like an electrical problem. But does this have an impact on the engine or is it only the instruments that messes up?

It can also be the ignition lock or a loose connector.

453747.png

I had the same problem on my NISSAN. Dealer did not find. After analyzing the schematic my bet was: Car's computer connected to 12 v by relay which is energized by ign. lock. I replaced this relay by swapping it w/ relay of the same type, from nonessential circuit (fog light, in my case). Try, it helped me

different car, but in my case it was an ignition switch. Try to move the key around slightly, see if that makes it cut the engine.

In other case some years later it was a main ground connection. If you see at night your beams diming and comming back to normal it could be a ground termination or alternator connection.

his car is missing and almost stalling. Check plugs and wires if you have them. You should take it in to a shop for a general tune up

What Year is the Legacy? Sounds like checking the ignition coil, or coil packs if that's the case, might also be in order.

hehe, just saw the year was in the thread title..

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

My Sub has 120k on it and has a little problem. Sometimes it randomly turns off while I am stopped at a light or coming to a stop. The car turns itself off and then on again within the second without me doing anything. The car jsut turns itself back on without the starter turning over. Its kind of like the power goes out/flickers for a second. The RPMs go to 0 and the radio kicks off. Then it turns itself back on just like I would, all the lights come back on and then it acts normally. The first time it happened when I was stopped at a stop light for about 10 seconds. Then second, third, and fourth time while I was going less than 15 mph coming to a stop... but definitely while I was still moving.

Any ideas? It is strange.

I had same issue ten years ago with a Mazda Protege. To me it onlt happened when coming to a stop after prolonged cruising though. So, I'm coming off the highway and as I'm slowing down and down shifting to stop at the light all of a sudden the engine would shut off.

Mazda had my car for weeks and weeks and replaced so many electrical components and never fixed it. In the end they bought it back and the dealer also sold VW's and I got a golf instead.

Archived