LegacyGT.com

Subie newbie with questions

Greetings all! I just bought a new 2005 Legacy GT 5MT. What a fun car to drive! I was driving a modified 2001 Mustang v6 before and what a world of difference. Rear wheel drive cars are a joy to drive (especially around corners) but the solid axle of the mustang is a major letdown. I have my GT the last two days and have already clocked 300miles on it :-)

Question time: What is the best rpm to start of in 1st gear? I am still having problems starting from a light smoothly. It's either too much gas and the GT jumps forward like there's no tomorrow or the dreaded silence of a dead engine :-(

How do you heel-toe to match engine rpm while shifting down a gear?

Picture Gallery

Once you get the feel of the clutch, around 1500 is a good starting point. Heel-Toe is basically a blip of the throttle to match the engine revs as you downshift. Unless you are Auto-Xing, or doing some extreme driving, just use the brakes. Brakes are easier and cheaper to replace than a clutch or tranny.

1.5k to 2k should work fine to get started without jumping or lurching. Durring the first few days my car definitely wanted to jump out ahead with me hardly giving any gas.

Just give it some time for you to adjust to the clutch, and for the car's ECU to adjust to your driving style. Things should start working really smoothly from there.

Archived