LegacyGT.com

Bilstein Japan - BTS suspension kit - install parts list.

Subject: MY05 USDM Outback XT LTD. Original owner, stock condition. (Stock size) 225/55/HR17 Michelin Pilot Alpin. A mud & snow rated tire.

Objective: Street use/sport oriented suspension enhancement while maintaining the Outback signature raised ride height. - snow/ski time in the Rockies.

Outcome: Mission Accomplished! (unlike the aircraft carrier kind-politically speaking) Excellent suspension enhancement. Night and Day compared to the OEM stock. The BTS kit will have you forgetting the car is a wagon; a raised ride height wagon at that. Superior quality components.

Parts list:

1ea. JDM Bistein BTS-5056J. www.hirano-tire.co.jp - Export divison; exportdivision@hotmail.com (the Company regularly advertises 128,370 Yen for the BTS 5056J Kit)

2ea. USDM SpecB top hats, 20320AG01A. local.

2ea. USDM SpecB dust cap 20320AG000. local.

2ea. JDM rear shock perch 20370AG010. www.japanparts.com

2ea. JDM rear rubber upper 20375AE011. www.japanparts.com

A Bilstein link to the kit/pictured - text in Japanese

http://www.bilstein.co.jp/pdf/outback_bts.pdf

A link to the Japan based auto parts retailer whom sold my kit.

http://www.hirano-tire.co.jp/bil/bil4.htm

With the exchange rate at the time of purchase (11/08) the cost for kit alone was $1235.00 as shown on my CC statement. The additional USDM front top hats and rear JDM shock perchs were approximately $200 all toll. Any shipping charges/cost is that of the buyer. My BTS kit was shipped independent of the Hirano Tire Co Japan.

A BIG commercial goes out to fellow forum member Unclemat who "shunt to ground" much of the details. Also to Bilstein Japan and the Accenture Toyko office.

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MY Outback XTs ride height with the JDM Bilstein installed is 29" Front, 29.25" Rear. I'd venture to say this height is within 1" LOWER than the stock ride height of a USDM Outback XT.

Subaru of America screwed themselves and us with the OEM KYB suspension choice. Any product manager worth her/his salt would have choosen a Bilstein suspension, at minimum for the turbo charged 250/250 HP/TQ Outback XT - if not the entire OB model range. IT'S THAT GOOD. The Outback model line would transform from Good to Great.

Plus another thing (never thought I'd say this): the XT's brakes are quite useable (surprise, surprise!) With the excessive body motion now much better under control, even the brake pedal action is more linear - and with that, much more effective. What a nice side benefit - I don't think I will be changing the brake calipiers/rotors anytime soon. (My XT has Akebono Brand perforrmance brake pads fitted)

EDIT: JDM Bilstein BTS kit 5056J ride height is lower by .75 to 1.0 inch of the stock ride height; USDM MY05 Outback XT LTD.

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

1 before and 2 after pic's.... By date the initial picture is a before. (stock)

JDM Bilstein kit LOWER'S a stock USA Outback XT by 1 inch.

000_0012.thumb.jpg.55acaef0cde778f2f3ee67a99147ae67.jpg

s00_0005.thumb.jpg.b0be3088d933f3f34d6ab9c8cb533527.jpg

s00_0001_00.thumb.jpg.20d09f70400a45ea92dc1e67548e6ec1.jpg

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

I am planning on performing this upgrade, but I would like to do a bit more as long as I've got the suspension apart. I would like to replace the rubber suspension bits and sway bars at the same time. Here is what I think I should do, please advise if I am going to make a mistake:

Camber Bolts

Upgraded Sways & Support (prob Rallitek, they are here, but I am open)

Lower control arm bushing - what other bushings should I be considering?

I would assume that I want to replace transmission and motor mounts at the same time?

I've been on here since 2004, lurking, lurking, lurking. Now its time to pull the trigger on the next step of mods.

Unclemat, if you are reading this, I would really appreciate your input!

Looks like I'm going to need a set of yellow powdercoated Brembo brake calipers!
Hey Easton, Too Funny!

Many of us were initially attracted to the Subi XT as the Poor Man's Audi Allroad, S4 Avant etc.. I like to think more along the lines of a Smart Man’s Audi equivalent simply because of the cost of ownership savings and the under the radar image. Well, either storyline just showed up by way of the Bilstein suspension enhancement,,, and why not a little “Bling” for waiting so Gawd dam long.

I’ll take my Brembo’s yellow as well . . . (and then an ECU enhancement, better road sneakers, exhaust, etc... its a slippery slope..........Ooops,, forgot its a Legacy/Outback chassis.)

EDIT: Just completed the use of a full tank of fuel since the suspension upgrade; the XT is thirsty at 16.4 MPG

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW, I'm re-enquiring japanparts for this list (see the japanparts forum).

And Beans said they don't do JDM bits.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Hey Tim, OhBe1 et al, Yes I believe exportdivision@hotmail.com will get you Hirano Tire Co in Japan. One way to find out is to try an email (in English and as a bonus/courtesy maybe an http://babelfish.yahoo.com translation of your email context) and wait and see. I would think a phone call would do, although not speaking Japanese might be a road block. - maybe not, you would be surprized.

As has been discussed are the sourcing strategies. My take: With Hirano Tire Co as an authorized Bilstein reseller in Japan, why not purchases the kit directly from Hirano Tire, having them ship (UPS, etc.) the kit to N. America? What value is created by having “others” purchase the kit and ship for you?

P.S., Hirano Tire “internet” advertizes the Bilstein BTS 5056J kit for 128340 Yen (about $1250 on any given day – exchange rate) My specific Bilstein kit was purchased at Hirano Tire by a colleague in Japan. Possession was taken in Tokyo and the kit shipped to N. America.

Good luck ~

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

As copied from the Hirano Tire Co Japan's web site today; 7.11.09

Order & Inquiry from Overseas Customer’s:

We would like you to contact our export division for the overseas customers.

You can get the quotation for the parts / shipping / insurance and handling.

Also you can pay through Paypal and / or wire transfer for your orders.

However we Hirao Tire has no responsibility for the export procedures.

Please feel free to contact our export division by e-mail.

E-mail: exportdivision@hotmail.com

Cheers, Mike

MS - what's the total $ with the top hats/caps, etc? It sounds like a highly desirable upgrade based on your comments, but a whole lotta coin at the same time, especially if you're knockin' on $1500 all-in.

Also, am I correct to infer that ride height is LOWERED slightly (pics aren't obvious)?

Is the 16 mpg just because you're feeling frisky with the new handling? Or did you jack with the alignment something badly?

See post #3 for any ride height details ....

16.4 MPG = a lead foot scooting around with the new suspension.

Could not be more pleased with the Bilstein BTS kit in the Outback.... ABSOLUTELY two different cars; before and after! There is now a fight for the keys....... FUN.

Cheers, Mike

Ooops, lower. The JDM Bilstein kit is .75" to 1.0" inch lower than a USDM MY05 stock Outback XT LTD. - silver of course. Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

Yes, but is it 1 inch HIGHER or LOWER? You just say "within one inch of stock" and don't give dimensions for stock.

It is pretty obvious from the initial "before and after" pictures that its lower with the JDM bilsteins/springs. :)

Hey hutru01, the HIGHER or LOWER question reminds me of the Monty Python skit:

I came here for an argument. No you didn't. Yes I did. This isn't an argument it’s a contradiction. No it isn't. Yes it tis . . .

Yeah, agreed. The pictures and the dates are conclusive.

Hey, holter95 just having fun. Ask anything ya need.

Cheers, Mike

MS, i know the export procedure needs to be completed by me. Is it as simple as talking to UPS to arrange a date with Hirano for pick up and then shipping to the US?

I don't know the answer, UPS International would. Give the UPS International site a try, maybe their FAQ area. If not call UPS.

Have you heard/seen anything from Hirano Tire Japan? I have not, so far. I'm waiting . . . .

Cheers, Mike

I looked up shipping on UPS, they want about $400 for a package that I estimated to be 25 kilograms. I think the real benefit of a group buy would be to get enough packages together, then have them sent to the west coast on a boat, then ground or air to the various cities here stateside.